Quickest licensure process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittenlady

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am currently on internship and there is a chance that my husband's job is going to relocate him/us to another country next year. Looking at that country's process for psychologists who have been trained elsewhere, it will be easier for me to transfer a license than to simply transfer my degree.

I am wondering if anyone knows which state(s) allows you to take the EPPP during internship (pre-doctoral degree) AND does not require postdoc hours for licensure? I have seen posts on here before and it seems like Alabama is an option. If anyone knows of any other states that would be great to know! Or, if anyone knows of a website/table that compares states by licensure process that could be helpful too.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn’t able to find a state that let you take the EPPP on internship, didn’t require EPPP part 2, and didn’t require post doc hours. Alabama can be relatively quick, but their board only meets every other month and you have to take the jurisprudence in person. Indiana is fast and you can take the jurisprudence online. They do require post doc hours to receive an HSPP designation (which you need to supervise), unless you have eligible practicum hours that you can combine with internship hours to fulfill that requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn’t able to find a state that let you take the EPPP on internship, didn’t require EPPP part 2, and didn’t require post doc hours. Alabama can be relatively quick, but their board only meets every other month and you have to take the jurisprudence in person. Indiana is fast and you can take the jurisprudence online. They do require post doc hours to receive an HSPP designation (which you need to supervise), unless you have eligible practicum hours that you can combine with internship hours to fulfill that requirement.
If you are trying to take licensure on internship, the best bet is finding a state that requires EPPP as a MA provider. North Carolina and Texas do for sure. I believe others as well. You can take it that way under the guise of an application for masters (Licensed Psych Associate) license and the score, if high enough, counts for doctoral application as well. My program allows students to take the EPPP as a version of comps.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are trying to take licensure on internship, the best bet is finding a state that requires EPPP as a MA provider. North Carolina and Texas do for sure. I believe others as well. You can take it that way under the guise of an application for masters (Licensed Psych Associate) license and the score, if high enough, counts for doctoral application as well. My program allows students to take the EPPP as a version of comps.
I was going to suggest the same. I'm almost certain TX requires postdoc hours (and plenty of other stuff, including oral exams), and NC may as well, but I suppose you may be able to transfer the EPPP score to another state once you have it. Although I don't know if other states would accept an EPPP taken before completing your training if it's not something they typically allow, so you'd want to check with the state board(s) directly.

I was going to suggest the same. I'm almost certain TX requires postdoc hours (and plenty of other stuff, including oral exams), and NC may as well, but I suppose you may be able to transfer the EPPP score to another state once you have it. Although I don't know if other states would accept an EPPP taken before completing your training if it's not something they typically allow, so you'd want to check with the state board(s) directly.
Oral exam is not longer required in Texas.

Ah, this might be a good option. I was hoping to avoid doing multiple applications but if this is the only way then will do. Thank you :)

I have heard of quite a few doctoral programs that require the EPPP as part of the program!

Yeah I think I might have to call a few boards and find out to make sure. Thank you!

The rules apply to everyone. You don't get a pass because your specific circumstances.
Me: asks question to try and follow rules
Random internet stranger: don't break the rules!

🧐

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
WA requires you to be graduated to take the EPPP, but you could still ask. Calling I have had good results, although a wait time. Don't email as they will take 2 weeks to respond just to tell you "please call us at this number for an answer" lmao

I think I have heard of indiana possibly being an option for what ur trying to do

as an alternate plan in case hte above doesn't work out, would there be advantage to gettng licensed at the master's leve? NC was mentioned in one of hte replies above. It requires postdoc hours but you can also get licensed at the master's level in the process. I did this thinking it might help speed up my eventual credentialing process with the hospital system when I finally met hours for doctorate level license (it did not).