Quit job for lower paying scribe job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplecricket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, to give some background I applied this year and got a few interviews, all leading to the wait list. Currently still on the wait lists.

I have the opportunity to become a full time ED scribe, my concern is that it pays significantly less than what I make now at my unrelated office job. The pay is definitely something I have to consider bc I'm currently paying off student loans from grad school on top of the usual bills. I'm wondering how much of a boost the scribe job would have to my application if I do reapply in the future, and if it's worth it.

My current clinical experience includes about 70 hrs of DO and MD shadowing and 2 years of free clinic volunteering. I'll be starting training to be a hospice volunteer on the weekends next month as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You have enough clinical experience for the scribe job to be of minimal importance imo.
I'd stay with your current job.

Reactions: 1 user
You have enough clinical experience for the scribe job to be of minimal importance imo.
I'd stay with your current job.

I agree with Doudline. Check to see if you can work part-time.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got some interviews already, getting more clinical exposure by scribing doesn't seem necessary.

I don't think it's worth it at all, you have lots of clinical volunteering and are able to get more with the hospice volunteering. I'd expect that it's something else that is your application/interview weak point.

@purplecricket Could you explain to me what the merits are in being a hospice volunteer? It sounds like a very dry job without any opportunities to really plug yourself into furthering your potential. In addition, forcing yourself to go through that process and spending time at the hospice facility is a waste of opportunity cost. Your time is valuable, there's only so much you are granted in a day. Just trying to get your thought process on the hospice angle because I don't think it's volunteering that's holding you back from admissions.

I don't think it's worth it at all, you have lots of clinical volunteering and are able to get more with the hospice volunteering. I'd expect that it's something else that is your application/interview weak point.
That's my thought too. My main weaknesses IMO are my interview skills and MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user