Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I've been working at the same small animal clinic for over 3 years. At this point, we have had a lot of turnover and I'm pretty much the only non-new tech person.. although one of them has been here for maybe 5 months and has a pretty good handle on things. In the last couple of months, I haven't really been enjoying myself... I chalked it up to being stressed from the application process, but I'm not so sure anymore. The doc has been making a lot of negative/patronizing/generally annoying remarks more often. In the past I have brushed them off and/or ignored them, but they are starting to really get to me. I'm not sure if I'm having a pre-vet school crisis, but I really feel like I should be really enjoying my time before starting vet school.. and I'm considering quitting my job.. this would be the only time in the last.. maybe 10 years that I would be jobless.. and I know real life doesn't allow you to just up and leave your job, so I'm thinking that maybe this would be the time to do it if any.
So... I get to my question. Since I started, I told him when I would plan to apply to school and a general idea of when I would be leaving..June-July before school starts. It is obviously not that time yet. I'm wondering how important it is to maintain relationships with DVMs/clinics that you have worked for as a tech when you becoming a DVM... I would kind of assume that when you apply as a DVM after graduation, you wouldn't list tech experience? But I really don't know... I just wanted to check. I would plan on giving AT LEAST 2 weeks noticed... maybe a month, but I feel like when I leave, he will probably take it personally... and frankly, I wouldn't mind telling him what I think if it wouldn't potentially harm me in the future. Any thoughts on this would be awesome!
So... I get to my question. Since I started, I told him when I would plan to apply to school and a general idea of when I would be leaving..June-July before school starts. It is obviously not that time yet. I'm wondering how important it is to maintain relationships with DVMs/clinics that you have worked for as a tech when you becoming a DVM... I would kind of assume that when you apply as a DVM after graduation, you wouldn't list tech experience? But I really don't know... I just wanted to check. I would plan on giving AT LEAST 2 weeks noticed... maybe a month, but I feel like when I leave, he will probably take it personally... and frankly, I wouldn't mind telling him what I think if it wouldn't potentially harm me in the future. Any thoughts on this would be awesome!
Everything that's been said in this thread so far is definitely valid, quitting a job earlier than originally mentioned could leave a bad mark on your record. But it depends somewhat on your relationship with your boss, I think. The OP sounds like they don't have the most amazing relationship at the moment... but if you have a good relationship, they may be very understanding. You may just have to have put some feelers out, so to speak, and get a feel for how she'd react? It's a conversation worth having, assuming you don't have an awful relationship (which I assuming not if you're interested it possible future rehiring/shadowing). In order to give them the time they need to replace you, you may need to be willing to make a decision before you find out about the internship (ie, keep working through the summer and risk missing out on disney, or quit early and risk not getting the internship and having nothing to do).