quitting job, interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funshine

at the fateful hour
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I hate my current job…it’s a great public health project, great to talk about in interviews, but I really don’t like the work atmosphere, I find my actual work unstimulating, and the pay sucks. I’m actually working as a temp (was promised full-time but now they’re reneging!!) for $7.98/hour, no benefits, and that’s too little to be doing something I hate. I’m thinking about quitting after December, as soon as I finish my part of the project. Hopefully, by then, I’ll have finished most of my med school interviews as well. I was just wondering whether med schools want you to send in update forms throughout the spring semester…like what if you’re on a bunch of wait-lists and need to keep sending current info about yourself to schools? Then, wouldn’t it look bad if I had just quit my former job after less than 6 months, especially if I took up a new job completely unrelated to medicine…say working in a national park?

Speaking of national parks, if I want to quit by December, then I should start looking for a job now. Does anyone know how to go about finding these kinds of jobs? I heard going through the National Park Service is horrible and you don’t get to pick your location. Apparently, it’s best to just visit the park yourself and talk to a ranger about helping out?? Any other job suggestions are welcome. I really don’t want another office job…

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you made this job a major part of your application, i would suggest giving your two weeks soon. Life is to short to work crappy jobs at minimum wage if you can get a better one.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Unless you made this job a major part of your application, i would suggest giving your two weeks soon. Life is to short to work crappy jobs at minimum wage if you can get a better one.

yeah...the thing is, I've only been working for 1.5 weeks, so I want to give it at least a month before calling it quits. Also, whereas I don't care very much for most of my co-workers, my boss is very nice...and technically, I am supposed to be a research asst and be paid as such...though right now I am classified as office support hence the 7.98/hr. I'm pretty sure if I took this up w/ my boss, he'd let me become full-time. The only problem is, I will have to take off for interviews pretty soon, and as a temp making 7.98/hr, I get a lot of flexibility...which I lose when I become a fulltime employee. The person in charge of payroll never liked me (shrug) so she's unlikely to let me work overtime in compensation for taking other days off. I don't think I can earn enough overtime or vacation time before interviews.

Yeah, I hate my job, and I've actually decided that I hate public health as well. But I did make it a big part of my application, b/c quite frankly, it SOUNDS really good (that's why I was attracted to it in the first place) though all we do is sit around in meetings talking about what we'll be doing but never actually doing it. :rolleyes:

But maybe I'm just being too quick to judge....i dunno :oops:

funshine said:
yeah...the thing is, I've only been working for 1.5 weeks, so I want to give it at least a month before calling it quits. Also, whereas I don't care very much for most of my co-workers, my boss is very nice...and technically, I am supposed to be a research asst and be paid as such...though right now I am classified as office support hence the 7.98/hr. I'm pretty sure if I took this up w/ my boss, he'd let me become full-time. The only problem is, I will have to take off for interviews pretty soon, and as a temp making 7.98/hr, I get a lot of flexibility...which I lose when I become a fulltime employee. The person in charge of payroll never liked me (shrug) so she's unlikely to let me work overtime in compensation for taking other days off. I don't think I can earn enough overtime or vacation time before interviews.

Yeah, I hate my job, and I've actually decided that I hate public health as well. But I did make it a big part of my application, b/c quite frankly, it SOUNDS really good (that's why I was attracted to it in the first place) though all we do is sit around in meetings talking about what we'll be doing but never actually doing it. :rolleyes:

But maybe I'm just being too quick to judge....i dunno :oops:

talk to the boss, usually that's the most direct way of getting through all of the beaurocratic red tape involved in becoming full time. As far as pay roll works, they have to pay you what you work and usually if you tell the boss that you're going through the application process they will be flexible with you...or you could arange to work 30 hours a week and that would give you a free day every week (what another girl in my lab did when she was interviewing). And for someone's sake, wait for more than a week and a half before quitting