Quitting my PCT job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zappyapples

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm just feeling pretty overwhelmed and could use some perspective outside of my own head.

I've been a PCT at a hospital near my university for a year now, and have racked up about 500+ hours as of this month. The thing is, I feel that this job is really beginning to affect my mental health; I have to work a minimum of 8 hours a week, but no matter how I schedule my shifts (so far, it's been 4 hour shifts twice a week), I always have to sacrifice some time I could have otherwise spent studying and come home late and exhausted.

The job's also physically and emotionally draining; a lot of the really ill patients are understandably upset but can be abusive, not to mention the fact that my back is killing me from all the heavy lifting we've got to do. I dread going into work every single shift. I want to quit, but I know medical schools want to see long term commitment. I also would need to find another job anyway as I need some income.

I still have 3 years until I graduate (I'm taking 5 years total to finish), and I don't know how quitting this early would look. This is ignoring the fact that I've struggled to control my mental health in the past and already have some red flags on my transcript (3.3 GPA), and also haven't found the time to start volunteering.

Hopefully somebody could help me decide what to do; I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Quit the job if it’s causing problems. You have to keep your grades up and considering you’ve been there for a year, it’s fine to switch to something else. Be mindful that you probably will have to work 8 hours a week at a different job (especially if you need the money), but perhaps it would work out better if you find one that has shifts on the weekend and doesn’t require lifting.

Reactions: 1 users
Quit the miserable job and focus on your grades. Find a job that won’t stress you out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered scribing? Pay is bad, but it’s correspondingly less stressful.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. I'm just feeling pretty overwhelmed and could use some perspective outside of my own head.

I've been a PCT at a hospital near my university for a year now, and have racked up about 500+ hours as of this month. The thing is, I feel that this job is really beginning to affect my mental health; I have to work a minimum of 8 hours a week, but no matter how I schedule my shifts (so far, it's been 4 hour shifts twice a week), I always have to sacrifice some time I could have otherwise spent studying and come home late and exhausted.

The job's also physically and emotionally draining; a lot of the really ill patients are understandably upset but can be abusive, not to mention the fact that my back is killing me from all the heavy lifting we've got to do. I dread going into work every single shift. I want to quit, but I know medical schools want to see long term commitment. I also would need to find another job anyway as I need some income.

I still have 3 years until I graduate (I'm taking 5 years total to finish), and I don't know how quitting this early would look. This is ignoring the fact that I've struggled to control my mental health in the past and already have some red flags on my transcript (3.3 GPA), and also haven't found the time to start volunteering.

Hopefully somebody could help me decide what to do; I appreciate it.
Quit the job and find something else.

Fellow PCT here. I think the first priority is to get your mental health under control. Whether that means therapy, diet and exercise, positive relationships, or the elimination of stressors--having a stable psyche is what allows me to go into work fresh each day. Being on the floor takes a lot of energy and you have to replenish it in your off-time.

Eventually you should examine why you dislike this job. I don't think angry or abusive patients will ever go away, and the white coat won't protect you. It's perfectly fine to quit because of back pain. But also consider that if you're going to work anyway, a clinical job is the preferred one for premeds. And honestly 8 hours a week is a pretty good deal for a student. Most jobs want you to commit at least 20. I've seen people fired because they went below part-time.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no need to spread yourself so thin. Bad grades or bad MCATs are hard to reverse and explain away.

Finish school, do well, then get clinical experience. Or find something less stressful. No one is going to care you did it all at once when there is a kid with perfect scores beside you.