Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Then you’re not ready. If the pace of work is the issue, try slacking off. It will at least buy you some time.I wish I knew. Quit PsyD/Neuropsych and change my entire career.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Then you’re not ready. If the pace of work is the issue, try slacking off. It will at least buy you some time.I wish I knew. Quit PsyD/Neuropsych and change my entire career.
I was 26 when I started my program (clin psych, not neuro) and also found myself in a program with objectively unreasonable expectations and wearing too many hats (my advisor liked to volunteer me for assorted other things without asking me first on top of the rest)- all that to say I hear you. I struggled with the same desire to throw my hands up at it all. I think it was probably my lack of an easier plan B that I thought I would definitely like more or as much as being a psychologist that helped me stick it out (and the bonds of feeling like you're in some warped kind of mental foxhole led to strong bonds with a few in my cohort which helped a lot). There was also this too-accurate meme/humor website about being a grad student in psych but I can't recall the name of it - anyone? It was pure gold at the time...Likely program/clinical site dependent. I am in the same boat, as I wear a few different hats (TA, research, coursework, clinical work, etc) and it's getting harder to manage everything. On top of all that, I've been wanting things that I didn't think I wanted so soon before starting the program. Things like getting married, starting a family, making income, etc. As a 25-year old in this generation, I feel so behind on all these adult things. I feel like I can't do any of these things because I am stuck in graduate school.
Is there freedom and flexibility after training?
No one thinks about your schedule as much as you do. In fact, most people who supervise you probably don't think about it at all except to know when they can expect to see you doing xyz. Especially when you are wearing a bunch of different hats, no one has any clue the sum total you have going on and how much time those things take. You're the only one who has the full objective picture of where your time goes and the varying demands on it. Most people, when the big picture is presented to them, turn out to be pretty reasonable.
Wow am I glad I found this thread. Similar boat with some differences. I didn’t go straight into PsyD and I still feel this way. I’m also in SoCal but not neuropsych track — I was never given that training opportunity no matter how hard I tried for it. I earned my MSW before starting PsyD program. I got my LCSW along the way as well as a second MA in clinical psychology. Feeling extremely burned out and just want to live my life already without being a student and working myself to death in unpaid externships. At the end of my 3rd year. I don’t know what to do. I feel like it’s all been a waste. My academic and clinical training has been subpar while in the PsyD program. I learned much more from my MSW experience.I am a 3rd year PsyD student (5 year program). I've been so unhappy with my program and consistently question my career choices. Before starting my program, I was set on wanting to get into a PsyD program and specializing in neuropsychology. I recently started my external practicum year and I hate it. I can't tell if the reason why I'm so unhappy is due to stress or due to a lack of passion in the field. I keep thinking about dropping the program but after 2 full years, I can't help but beat myself over the fact that I have wasted so much time and money. I am stuck between continuing to get my PsyD given all the tuition loans and years of my life that I have already invested in this, or drop the program completely to figure out if there's anything else I might be passionate about. I am 25 years old and I feel like such a failure for feeling this way. I got an MA degree on the way to my PsyD, so that's pretty much the only thing I gained. I am performing really well in my clinical sites and in my classes, but I still don't feel happy on this journey to become a neuropsychologist.
I am not sure what I would do if I dropped the program. I have a B.S. in Neuroscience and a M.A. in Clinical Psychology. I would either have to look into what kind of jobs I can get with those degrees, or spend a couple more years transitioning out of being a doctoral student to a complete career change. I feel so stuck. Any advice out there?
I am a 3rd year PsyD student (5 year program). I've been so unhappy with my program and consistently question my career choices. Before starting my program, I was set on wanting to get into a PsyD program and specializing in neuropsychology. I recently started my external practicum year and I hate it. I can't tell if the reason why I'm so unhappy is due to stress or due to a lack of passion in the field. I keep thinking about dropping the program but after 2 full years, I can't help but beat myself over the fact that I have wasted so much time and money. I am stuck between continuing to get my PsyD given all the tuition loans and years of my life that I have already invested in this, or drop the program completely to figure out if there's anything else I might be passionate about. I am 25 years old and I feel like such a failure for feeling this way. I got an MA degree on the way to my PsyD, so that's pretty much the only thing I gained. I am performing really well in my clinical sites and in my classes, but I still don't feel happy on this journey to become a neuropsychologist.
I am not sure what I would do if I dropped the program. I have a B.S. in Neuroscience and a M.A. in Clinical Psychology. I would either have to look into what kind of jobs I can get with those degrees, or spend a couple more years transitioning out of being a doctoral student to a complete career change. I feel so stuck. Any advice out there?
If you dropped out today, your sunk costs are tuition paid for the PsyD and income lost during this period since you can immediately start practicing as an LCSW. Do your future career goals that still require a PhD or could you be happy practicing as a social worker?At the end of my 3rd year. I don’t know what to do. I feel like it’s all been a waste. My academic and clinical training has been subpar while in the PsyD program.
I really have no better advice compared to what others have said but wanted to say that I'm sorry that you're in this situation! I was in your shoes (also have a BS in Neuroscience, MA in clinical psych) and considered leaving my PsyD program many times. Some of the alternative careers I looked into were: going for my PhD in Neuroscience, going to PA school, or getting a job in a lab with my BS degree (I was trained in PCR, immunohistochemistry, other laboratory techniques). I know other who have also gone on to work as therapists or psychometrists with their master's degree. I don't know if any of that is helpful.
If you want to do that and like being a social worker then that works out well, but I wouldn't really consider it settling or anything less to be a social worker. Social workers are great and provide invaluable services.I appreciate the quickly reply. Thank you for your kind words. I think I just want to work as an LCSW. I am so tired of being in school — my physical and mental health are in bad shape.
Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I’d be happier practicing as a clinical social worker. My ultimate goal is private practice, possibly teaching and working in a hospital setting. I really wanted to add neuropsychology under my belt — one of the reasons I wanted to pursue a PsyD. I consistently get rejected for neuropsych prac positions, I think because of my clinical background and obvious interest in therapy. Nonetheless, I never got the Neuro training and I’m quite sure I won’t be (one year left of prac). So here I am not getting the training I want, being treated terribly by the school, not learning since professors don’t know how to teach, being placed at practicums that should have never been accepted as sites…I think I’m answering my own question here…If you dropped out today, your sunk costs are tuition paid for the PsyD and income lost during this period since you can immediately start practicing as an LCSW. Do your future career goals that still require a PhD or could you be happy practicing as a social worker?
How much longer would you anticipate being in school? Would you be a competitive predoctoral internship candidate during the next cycle? If so, you could try to trudge through one last year of on-campus study, do one year of a lowly paid internship, and then work towards independent licensure. The degree is just a certification and you can (and should) do independent learning after receiving the credential.
If you think dissertation and finishing up program requirements plus matching will be a challenge or take too long, perhaps that might be a reason to cut your losses. Best of luck.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.