Quitting the whole pre-med process

Started by Nasem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, after 2.5 years being a postbacc student, and taking 46 credits with a straight 4.0 (classes included most of my 100 level premeds, and 200, 300 and 400 upper level sciences).....
I was able to bring my:
- overall GPA from 3.01 to a 3.27
- science GPA from 3.15 to over 3.6+
so as you can see, my application isn't the best... but it shows a good upward trend and more mature train of thought

I have decided that medicine is just not gonna happen for me and heres why:

I've started preparing for my MCAT about 2.5 months ago, I never took an "initial" test, ya know how most people tell you to take MCAT3, I didn't do that, I just focued on my science reviews and the dreaded verbal.... I knew verbal was my biggest problem, so I've been focusing all my attention to it.... now heres the kicker, I never got good at it, everytime I do a passage, it takes me about 10 minutes, and I only answer about 40% (at best) of the questions correctly.

Just 1 hr ago, I finished taking my first mcat practice (MCAT3), and you know what, I got a 27... heres the breakdown
Physical: 11
Verbal: 3 🙁
Biological: 13

So after 2.5 months of practice and really following the examcrackers guide on verbal (and 101 passages), I never advanced much, on the practice MCAT test, I got 14 correct out of the possible 40 🙁

I don't see any medical school accepting a student with a 3 verbal... so it saddens me to say this, I am no longer going to attempt to make it to medical schools

p.s to all of you who are thinking of going into medicine, before you attempt your first class, take a practice verbal passage and see how you do, the biggest mistake I made was I didn't practice nor improve my reading the 2.5 years I was doing post-bacc, I mostly focued on my GPA and sciences, and as you can see, I did very well in that aspect.... Good luck to you all and god bless

Dont give up. Getting your verbal score to 8+ is very doable. Im a nontrad, and after getting a 5 on verbal on my first practice test, I ended up with 11 on the test. I took the Kaplan prep, followed their strategy closely, and practiced 45 min/ day for 3 months. Very doable, just a matter of knowing what to do, and then putting the time in IMO.