Ra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of becoming a resident assistant for freshman at my college. Now I'm going to do this regardless, but will it be anything to brag about for medical school (responsibilities, commitment etc.) ? Has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad.

ComicBookDude said:
Im thinking of becoming a resident assistant for freshman at my college. Now I'm going to do this regardless, but will it be anything to brag about for medical school (responsibilities, commitment etc.) ? Has anyone done this?

I was an RA for 65 art freshmen at my school and at every interview they asked me about my experiences. Not only that, but you can really claim to have a very strong leadership position (oh god is it ever) and have many stories to write about in your applications. There are many times when you will be put into difficult situations (for me it was a suicide, sexual harassments, and a sex idenity crisis, amongst other things). It's really one of those experiences that actually does change you quite a bit. Absolutely go for it.

Sounds like a great EC! From the title of your thread ("Ra"), for a moment there I thought you wanted to be an Egyptian god. :D

woot!

i was an RA for two years for a freshman res hall, and now work in an art "program house" - students of all years.

it's amazing!! of course the financial break is a plus, but the experiences and connections and people and everything is SO WORTH IT. i guess you can brag about it on apps --- i don't really get asked about it much (except for one interviewer)... but even w/o the bragging rights, you'll definitely be glad you did it. :p