RACE/Ethnicity of Med Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewbacca45

Reaction score
Hi!

So I'm working through the TMDSAS application and I'm stuck.
I'm half Asian, Half Hispanic. I was born in South America and moved to the US when I was 7. I identify myself more Hispanic because I'm fluent in Spanish, at home speak mostly Spanish because my mom doesn't understand English, always more integrated with the Hispanic culture and grew up in a community that's 80% Hispanic. Also, I volunteer as a Spanish interpreter.
But, I am half Asian, my dad is Chinese, but I don't fluently know the language and just don't identify myself with the Asian culture, don't practice the holidays, don't really do anything Asian related except eat the yummy food, hehe.

I don't know if I should put that I'm both on my application, or can I just put that I'm Hispanic?
I don't want it to seem like I'm lying.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

So I'm working through the TMDSAS application and I'm stuck.
I'm half Asian, Half Hispanic. I was born in South America and moved to the US when I was 7. I identify myself more Hispanic because I'm fluent in Spanish, at home speak mostly Spanish because my mom doesn't understand English, always more integrated with the Hispanic culture and grew up in a community that's 80% Hispanic. Also, I volunteer as a Spanish interpreter.
But, I am half Asian, my dad is Chinese, but I don't fluently know the language and just don't identify myself with the Asian culture, don't practice the holidays, don't really do anything Asian related except eat the yummy food, hehe.

I don't know if I should put that I'm both on my application, or can I just put that I'm Hispanic?
I don't want it to seem like I'm lying.

What do you all think?
A hispanic applicant has better odds than an asian applicant

Reactions: 1 user
A hispanic applicant has better odds than an asian applicant

Right, I do understand that, but if I leave out that I'm biologically half Asian, is that considered lying?
Or if I put on both, how is that factored?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not put both? If a friend asked your race or ethnicity, would you only say Hispanic? What do you put for the census?

If it came out in the interview that you are half Chinese/if your last name is Chinese, I would be concerned that you were trying to "game the system" even if that's not the case. Whereas if you are upfront, it's clear that you are Hispanic and very involved in your community. You are still from an underrepresented community.

As was said above, go with your truth and how you normally self-identify

Reactions: 1 users
I would like to add that there are many other components of the application that will give adcoms a comprehensive idea of your background, beyond the race/ethnicity question. You will be asked where you were born, where you've lived from birth-18, what language you primarily speak at home, etc. They will also ask where your parents were born. In addition to the possibility of talking about your background in your PS, TMDSAS also has a second essay that asks you about how you will contribute to the diversity of your class.

So checking a certain race/ethnicity is not the end-all, be-all of your application. It's only one factor of many in who you are as an applicant.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'd only check Hispanic

Not just to ensure the URM bump isn't mitigated by the ORM half, but also because some scholarships stipulate ethnic group and I'd hate to see you lose out on money earmarked for Hispanics/URMs to someone that was full Hispanic

What is on your driver's license, what do you put on a job application

Reactions: 2 users