Race self-identification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anologital

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who knows. I would honestly just put what I think is the most true and go forward. You can also decline to indicate anything at all if you like.

honestly i think that if you say that you decline to identify i think ADCOMS will assume that you are asian or white. Either way they will find out when secondaries and such go out, so i think its best just to be as honest as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always wondered what would happen if someone who was white or Asian chose to self-identify as African American. After all, it is 'self-identify,' what you consider yourself to be. There must be people who try it.

I always wondered what would happen if someone who was white or Asian chose to self-identify as African American. After all, it is 'self-identify,' what you consider yourself to be. There must be people who try it.

They get rejected at the interview. Even if they were born in Africa and thus actually are Africans.

I like to consider myself European American, but I never see that option...

If you want to have a Chinaman's chance in this game, better click both "White" and "Chinese."

Did you learn Chinese as a kid? Involved in cultural events? Just curious.

If you want to have a Chinaman's chance in this game, better click both "White" and "Chinese."

Did you learn Chinese as a kid? Involved in cultural events? Just curious.

tumblr_ls034r0jku1qethke.gif

I don't think you'll find any benefit one way or the other. The two are common ORMs. Put down what feels right and move on.

You're not going to find a shortcut or advantage here unless you're URM. But that's another can of worms I'm not going to open.

I don't think you'll find any benefit one way or the other. The two are common ORMs. Put down what feels right and move on.

You're not going to find a shortcut or advantage here unless you're URM. But that's another can of worms I'm not going to open.

White is definately not an ORM. Asian is.

I have a similar question. I am half Chinese and half Colombian (South America) born in the US. My dad never really exposed me to his heritage. Even though he was born in China and immigrated to the US, he's pretty white washed. My mom on the other hand taught me Spanish and took me to visit family in South America every year. I'm in the same predicament since my last name looks very Chinese-y and my eyes are another dead give away. I am curious as to how I should go about this.

White is definately not an ORM. Asian is.

I think he meant ORM = Over-represented in MEDICINE.

Obviously, he knows that Asians are the only Over-represented MINORITY in admissions.

I have a similar question. I am half Chinese and half Colombian (South America) born in the US. My dad never really exposed me to his heritage. Even though he was born in China and immigrated to the US, he's pretty white washed. My mom on the other hand taught me Spanish and took me to visit family in South America every year. I'm in the same predicament since my last name looks very Chinese-y and my eyes are another dead give away. I am curious as to how I should go about this.
I'm sure if you truly identify yourself as such, you will be able to confidently answer to any questions about why you chose Hispanic in your application.

Sounds like an interesting combination too! :thumbup: What part of Colombia? Atlantic coast or interior? (hah, my bias shows already)

They get rejected at the interview. Even if they were born in Africa and thus actually are Africans.

Erm what? I have met people who were half black and half hispanic and unless you were told, you wouldn't ever have known. Hell, they are light skinned AA that would definitely have some eye brows raised when they say they are AA. These people can most certainly put down that they are either half of both or they can put down exclusively AA if they feel that is the race they relate to.

None of this is an issue unless you're being dishonest. If you're Chinese and White, put that down, Chinese & Hispanic, White South African etc... I'm black and white, but extremely light skinned. Since I began shaving my head it's sometimes hard to tell that I'm half black. None of this was an issue at any of my interviews and I interviewed at some top private and historically black medical schools and received acceptances to all of them.

If you're worried about it, when you get asked, "Tell me about yourself" in the interview start with this: "We'll I have an interesting background. My father's Chinese and my Mom's South American, so I've been exposed to different cultures..." and go from there. Where I think people lose integrity is when they are mildly URM based on heritage, but also claim disadvantaged status when their not.

I'm sure if you truly identify yourself as such, you will be able to confidently answer to any questions about why you chose Hispanic in your application.

Sounds like an interesting combination too! :thumbup: What part of Colombia? Atlantic coast or interior? (hah, my bias shows already)

My mom was from a little city in El Valle del Cauca.