Racism in Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pRHOfessional7

SCPM 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I'm an hour away from the podiatrist that I used to shadow, and I was on a quest to find one in the area that I'm living in now. I finally got in touch with a local podiatrist and set up an appointment with his sec to meet with him. When I got there this morning he looked at me with disgust, and 20 minutes into our conversation, without any acknowledgement of my extensive vitae and excellent undergraduate record he said that "my kind would never make it in HIS profession, maybe I should consider nursing."
My question to you all is, are there no african american women podiatrist? Was he just an ignorant exception or am I in for a very long ride? I refuse to let anyone keep me from what I want to do, but blatant racism is very hurtful and discouraging.

Members don't see this ad.

So... I'm an hour away from the podiatrist that I used to shadow, and I was on a quest to find one in the area that I'm living in now. I finally got in touch with a local podiatrist and set up an appointment with his sec to meet with him. When I got there this morning he looked at me with disgust, and 20 minutes into our conversation, without any acknowledgement of my extensive vitae and excellent undergraduate record he said that "my kind would never make it in HIS profession, maybe I should consider nursing."
My question to you all is, are there no african american women podiatrist? Was he just an ignorant exception or am I in for a very long ride? I refuse to let anyone keep me from what I want to do, but blatant racism is very hurtful and discouraging.

I'm sure you will get varying responses to this.

Yes it exsists as it does in any profession. I think it is more obvious from older pods that are white men that have watched their profession change before their eyes. Some have also lost touch with what podiatry has become and do not know that it is no longer solely a white jewish/italian male profession.

I would suggest you look for a residency program to shadow in your area to see what the newer pods are doing.

I've also sent you a PM.

That is kind of a surprising question. Is there racism in the world? Yes. That is why a white guy like me would have an extremly difficult time walking around northeast Detroit after dark. But why would podiatry or any other profession be "out to get" a particular race? Idiots come in all colors, sizes, shapes, and professions!

It sounds like you had a very unfortunate experience but don't let one person define an entire profession. You sound like a smart gal and should do just fine:)

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the context of his statement? Maybe he was referring to a personality trait rather than your race or sex. Regardless, there are racists in every profession, but you shouldn't let one bad experience dictate your plans! An individual definitely doesn't and shouldn't represent the whole population.

I know that there was a black female podiatry student at Temple that posted a link to her blog here a while ago. Maybe you could contact her and ask about her experiences or if she learned the demographics for podiatrists. (http://drshoegal.blogspot.com/) I guarantee that the field is overwhelmingly made up of white dudes, but I can bet that there are some AA female podiatrists here and there.

I've been wondering this myself: what are the demographics for the different schools? I haven't really thought about it before, but it'd be nice to know, personally. And for all those minorities pod students/hopefuls, is there a network of minority podiatric students? minority podiatrists?

It's very likely that he was referrring to your gender, not your race, since nursing is still thought to be primarily a "woman's" job. He's just a product of his upbringing and societal expectations for his generation, if he was older. It's not an excuse for his remark, but it is a possible explanation. Don't let his ignorance hinder your decision.

I'm a white female that was discouraged from a white female D.O. from going into to medicine although she knew nothing about me. She was simply basing her assessment on my age (I'm only 30). So, everyone is discriminated against by people for varying reasons. You just can't let it impact your decisions.

What was the context of his statement? Maybe he was referring to a personality trait rather than your race or sex. Regardless, there are racists in every profession, but you shouldn't let one bad experience dictate your plans! An individual definitely doesn't and shouldn't represent the whole population.

I know that there was a black female podiatry student at Temple that posted a link to her blog here a while ago. Maybe you could contact her and ask about her experiences or if she learned the demographics for podiatrists. (http://drshoegal.blogspot.com/) I guarantee that the field is overwhelmingly made up of white dudes, but I can bet that there are some AA female podiatrists here and there.

I've been wondering this myself: what are the demographics for the different schools? I haven't really thought about it before, but it'd be nice to know, personally. And for all those minorities pod students/hopefuls, is there a network of minority podiatric students? minority podiatrists?

AACPM has stats for each school based on gender and ethnicity.

SNPMA - student national podiatric medical association is the minority club that any student can join, each school has a club/chapter and there is also the national board made of members from all the schools. SNPMA has 1 vote in the house of delegates of the APMSA (american podiatric medical student's association).

Temple, Barry and NY are known to be more diverse than others.

Racism is associated with people not with profession. If a racist person joins a profession he becomes a racist professional. but profession itself is independent.So i dont really think anyone can answer it 100%.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes, students end up at a Physician office wearing shabby clothes, tattoos,beads,shiny makeup, body piercings,etc. Nothing wrong with these things. And for some undergrads these dresses may be even considered standard. But many professionals tend to view these type of things in different catergories and act with the person differently based on these. Some old school people dont like unprofessionalness.

I personally saw, If i wear a professional business attire and go to some place for job interview, the interviewer's attitude is entirely different compared to his attitude if i wear wearing a jeans.

And one should always boast with confidence when you are in shadowing. i saw this helps a lot. if we show them we are undecided and worried. they tend to think we are fooling around and not serious. you need to show them you are strong and hardworking.

unfortunately, racism always has and always will exist. so let me be the first to post you will face a LOT more of it, no matter what you do. everyone will to an extent, just last year a group of people wouldnt let me play basketball with them because i was white. 'who wants cracka boy?' strong reply: 'not me!' lol

if you're gonna let a remark such as that idiots draw you away from a field, you may need to reconsider your emotional strengthness, as you will face many more instances that are 100x worse and you need to be ready.

i remember vividly not being wanted to be seen by a few female patients on the ob-gyn floor (nursing student) and being called 'dr', 'outkast', 'gay', and whatnot because i was a male. and i knew of another person who was a black male doctor and the patient said he didn't want to be treated by a n*gger. talk about harsh!? these people make me sick, but they will always exist. the situation maybe rare, but i can tell you he is stronger and wiser because of it and didn't let it get to him.

keep your head up and do whatever you like, EVEN IF there were no black women in podiatry (i know this isn't true, but just for discussion sake), do it anyways =) you will face many challenges i'm sure because of it, but i promise you, you will come out a stronger and more respected person.

I think that he is just an @sshole. That being said I do not think that podiatry is as integrated in both race and gender as MD/DO.

I would agree that with on of the other posters that it is more likely to run into a sexiest than a racist. But that maybe regional. I lived in the Midwest my whole life and moved to FL for a year. I saw more racism in that year than my whole life.

DMU is not known for diversity but the minority students (both race and gender) do well and as for as I know do not run into much racial issues.

I'm still pissed to here you had to run into such a dillweed. If I was you I'd keep that dude in mind and when you graduate send him a letter that says tough sh#t, I made it.

I honestly posted the rated PG version of his comment. But to assure you that I am not the type play the race card I will tell you exactly what he called me, a n-word b-word.
All in all thanks for your comments and assurances, this is not the first or last time I have been called out of my name. Honestly, his comments will only make me a stronger force to be reakoned with in the profession.
;)

I honestly posted the rated PG version of his comment. But to assure you that I am not the type play the race card I will tell you exactly what he called me, a n-word b-word.
All in all thanks for your comments and assurances, this is not the first or last time I have been called out of my name. Honestly, his comments will only make me a stronger force to be reakoned with in the profession.
;)

If you don't mind me asking where did this happen? (Obviously, you don't need to be specific.)

I will tell you exactly what he called me, a n-word b-word.
;)

:eek: . if the man has used these words. then may be you should take some legal action. iam not joking or kidding. but iam very serious. You should take this matter seriously and inform to your community leaders. these type of people should not be there in Public Servicing industries. he is a social threat. Dont let this go off so easily. Take some defintive action.

Reactions: 1 user
AACPM has stats for each school based on gender and ethnicity...

...Temple, Barry and NY are known to be more diverse than others.
Yep. There are plenty of African American women in podiatry:
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistic...Enrl by COLLEGE, ETH ID and GENDER 05-06.pdf

I agree you should decide things for yourself and just look for other DPMs to shadow since your views seem to confict with that particular individual's.

If you decide podiatry is racist/sexist because of one encounter (as the thread title loosely implies), then you are simply stereotyping the profession right back.

If you don't mind me asking where did this happen? (Obviously, you don't need to be specific.)
A fairly rural town in Texas.

I do hope that no one misunderstands the reason behind this post. I just wanted to make sure that this was the isolated views of an ignorant man and that it was not an issue faced by anyone else. I'm a beast, I had a B.S by 18 and a MHA by 20 so no one can tell me I am a dummy or that I can be held back by age, gender, or race.

:love: Peace and Blessings

Check out the Texas Diabetes Institute in San Antonio. They do a great 3 year residency and both the residency director and associate professor are black, very student friendly.

:mad: Racism is horrible. There is no such thing as reverse racism, backlash, yaddah yaddah, yaddah. I am sorry you had to experience in such a blantant way from someone that assumes the roll of a professional but lives with the intelligence of an idiot. Most people experience racism/discrimination at some point in their life and I think you have a great attitude and wish you the best of luck:luck: in podiatry, medicine or whatever you choose as a profession.

It is very unfortunate that there are people as ignorant as he. Im sure that his views are personal and do not represent any organization, especially podiatry. But to answer your question, I have seen many African American podiatrists and students. Dont let that deter you from what you want to do.

There is no such thing as reverse racism, backlash, yaddah yaddah, yaddah.

I completely disagree with you on this point. Did you apply for any allopathic programs? I was told by a dean to my face that because I am a white male my stats would not be good enough. That I needed to retake the MCAT or become a minority. That is the honest to good truth.

I'm disgusted by racism in any form whether it is something like I have listed above or something like the OP described. Some cases are obviously more disgusting and ignorant.

If I was you I'd keep that dude in mind and when you graduate send him a letter that says tough sh#t, I made it.

As a woman and as a minority I agree 110% :thumbup:

Dont let ignorant people get in the way of your dreams.