FrostyHammer

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't mean to imply that our entire classes went jobless or didn't have jobs in March/April. Just the seniors I am or were working with this time of year.
Yeah, I'm with radoncgrad. This is clearly not normal or anything close to the norm.

RickyScott

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2017
Status
Attending Physician
Again who cares that it’s not normal. That’s not to the point. It should not happen for any program at all ever given what it takes to match in this field. Very very ominous.

RickyScott

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2017
Status
Attending Physician
Again who cares that it’s not normal. That’s not to the point. It should not happen for any program at all ever given what it takes to match in this field. Very very ominous.
Those aoa types from lower tier programs are still going to be in the job market 5 years from now.

About the Ads

FrostyHammer

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, that's what happens when the Baylors, LIJs, etc of the world still exist. You're right, it shouldn't happen, but there's nothing normal about those programs at all, thus causing it to happen. Get the logic?

Reactions: thecarbonionangle

Carotenoid

7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Can’t win with the truckas like you.

Yesterday : Why ARENT THERE ANY GUIDELINES ON THIS ASTRO LAZY AND SLEEP.

TODAY: RAD ONCS ARE DUMB THEY NEED GUIDELINES FOR EVERYTHING.

Ignoring real life events for a second that we may or may know about you, you’ve ruined your own credibility on this website multiple times.

Had to google "trucka" but am still confused... Mother-trucker? Hmmmm.
I need a guideline on this...

1584816394091.png 1584816394091.png

Last edited:

RickyScott

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2017
Status
Attending Physician
I didn't mean to imply that our entire classes went jobless or didn't have jobs in March/April. Just the seniors I am or were working with this time of year.
Kind of early to broach this, but if don’t job by now aren’t residents kind of hosed?

Reactions: radoncgrad2019

medgator

Persona Non Grata
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Kind of early to broach this, but if don’t job by now aren’t residents kind of hosed?
I know one at my former program that slipped into a job in July, after getting her contract pulled in May, granted this was about 4-5 years ago, well before we pumped out an additional 800 or so grads.

Nowadays, I'd expect massive hosing at this point sans job although with the current pandemic, the locums market may start perking up now unexpectedly.

The coronavirus black swan may have a lot of unexpected implications for many parties in 2020

Jul 30, 2018
I know one at my former program that slipped into a job in July, after getting her contract pulled in May, granted this was about 4-5 years ago, well before we pumped out an additional 800 or so grads.

Nowadays, I'd expect massive hosing at this point sans job although with the current pandemic, the locums market may start perking up now unexpectedly.

The coronavirus black swan may have a lot of unexpected implications for many parties in 2020
Like more old ROs continuing to work and contracts being rescinded and more unemployed people walking around with no insurance...awesome. Good to know working for the last 3 years has been pretty much a wash.

medgator

Persona Non Grata
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Like more old ROs continuing to work and contracts being rescinded and more unemployed people walking around with no insurance...awesome. Good to know working for the last 3 years has been pretty much a wash.
Assuming they don't end up as part of the body count, yes. This virus is not kind to boomers, statistically speaking

About the Ads
Jul 30, 2018
Assuming they don't end up as part of the body count, yes. This virus is not kind to boomers, statistically speaking
Yeah except those old timers who
Lived in the basement and don’t really take care of contagious people. They WILL persist and make people like me absolutely miserable.

Reactions: w00tz

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I want to reply: does your chief resident have a job? Mine doesn't. Three years running now, the chiefs I personally worked with are or have been in March and April with no job. Last year's graduated jobless.

But I don't want to post with my real name.

Post edited for clarity.
In all honesty this is frankly embarassing for leadership at your academic institution and should make them seriously consider contracting the residency program as they are clearly overtraining.

Of course, chairs/PDs are gonna do chair/PD things and put the blame on the residents for not 'networking' enough.

This should be evaluated at the GME level at your institution (perhaps you could submit an anonymous report) and chair/PD should both get reprimanded with a documented violation of the responsibilities of a residency program. Residency trained graduates should not be going jobless. Underemployed with a bad job, bad location, and/or bad money, that's more nebulous and harder to write off, but UNEMPLOYED should lead to the wrath of the GME department.

Last edited:

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
SF Bay Area
Status
Attending Physician
I guess everyone's situation is different but Chiefs in my institution were the best. They were very near independent practice and were therefore afforded a high degree of clinical autonomy to "run" their attending's service. Virtually all attendings at my institution loved to have Chiefs on their service because they ran them smoothly which allowed the attendings to focus on research/teaching tasks.

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I guess everyone's situation is different but Chiefs in my institution were the best. They were very near independent practice and were therefore afforded a high degree of clinical autonomy to "run" their attending's service. Virtually all attendings at my institution loved to have Chiefs on their service because they ran them smoothly which allowed the attendings to focus on research/teaching tasks.
As a current chief (or at least a PGY-5) if I am not running the service I would feel that I have not done residency correctly.

If a chief resident is still requiring anything besides minor supervision for basic radiation oncology tasks, are they really ready to graduate?

About the Ads

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Olivier refuses to admit what even other PDs like Beriwal are willing to. Head buried in the sand. Focus on quality but not by scores or number of US seniors?

He's out of his mind if he thinks people are more committed to cancer patients now. People who failed at Derm, Ortho, Ophtho, are likely a significant number who soaped into Rad Onc.

Mandelin Rain

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
Yes, that third of the resident pool that scrambled into rad onc last minute after their primary interest (ortho, ophtho, derm, ENT, uro) rejected them are DEFINITELY much more committed to cancer patients than the past applicant pool that killed themselves studying and publishing for 4 years for the 75% shot they'd match anywhere.

You're just embarrassing yourself Ken.

RickyScott

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2017
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, that third of the resident pool that scrambled into rad onc last minute after their primary interest (ortho, ophtho, derm, ENT, uro) rejected them are DEFINITELY much more committed to cancer patients than the past applicant pool that killed themselves studying and publishing for 4 years for the 75% shot they'd match anywhere.

Olivier refuses to admit what even other PDs like Beriwal are willing to. Head buried in the sand. Focus on quality but not by scores or number of US seniors?

He's out of his mind if he thinks people are more committed to cancer patients now. People who failed at Derm, Ortho, Ophtho, are likely a significant number who soaped into Rad Onc.
Heard this kind of logic before: variant of If you suck at everything and are also stupid and ugly, then it follows that you must be a really nice person.

Somehow candidates who have worse scores
Must make up for it by caring about cancer pts more?

Last edited:

jkdoctor

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2013
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

(1y)(1y)(1y):lol::lol:

scarbrtj

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
You also imply quality of students has declined and I disagree. Avg board score may have dropped but that was always BS in determining good doc...kinda like science part of ABR tbh. Less applicants, more committed to cancer patients.

- Kenneth [email protected]

I coulda gone to med school. It was just the... science part of it I had a problem with.
- Hank Gordon (Woody Harrelson), 'Doc Hollywood' (1991)

Mandelin Rain

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
The true measure of a doctor's commitment isn't how hard they worked, how much they know, or how deeply they've investigated the current standard; it is "Did they match at a #McMayo location near you?".

Sep 5, 2018
KO...boards 9/11...difficult test...no pity for you...NRMP poor match...good candidates...no problems...many jobs...protons best...tendulkar friend...good man...chairs best...best people...no greed....residents gaslight...unless smile...I am fun dad...respect me.

KO=tool.

About the Ads
OP
R
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Attending Physician
Classic name call by @radoncgrad2019

Anyone makes an argument or a point, the plan of attack is insult / mock / say they are greedy. Never an actual “battle of ideas”. If you look back, basically that is the entire strategy - belittle the person making the statement, question their integrity, but move the focus off of the salient points. It’s pretty devious but ingenious, because after a couple attacks, people forget what the original point was and then we talk about Scarbs voice or KHE88 and his newfound love of ethnic foods. It’s working real well.

If you want to insult, fine, moderation here is marginal, at best.

But if you want to engage.. what makes candidates with lesser scores, lesser grades, fewer publications better and why are they more devoted to oncology than the former AOA MD/PhDs that did a dissertation in cancer biology ? Also, as far as those that SOAPd in (39 of about 200 spots, or about 20%), why do you consider them to be more devoted to oncology patients?

Or, instead of engaging, call me a terrible South Asian, or whatever it is you said.

RickyScott

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2017
Status
Attending Physician
Classic name call by @radoncgrad2019
But if you want to engage.. what makes candidates with lesser scores, lesser grades, fewer publications better and why are they more devoted to oncology than the former AOA MD/PhDs that did a dissertation in cancer biology ? Also, as far as those that SOAPd in (39 of about 200 spots, or about 20%), why do you consider them to be more devoted to oncology patients?
"overall goodness" must be a constant value, so you used up a lot of it by being AOA and getting high usmle scores, therefore there is not a lot left over for devotion to oncology patients and being compassionate.

w00tz

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
You can just sense all the angst in radoncgrad2019. Just so jaded.

Was he/she always like this? Or did rad onc make them this way? Med students, take notes! You could end up like radoncgrad2019.

Jun 18, 2019
You can just sense all the angst in radoncgrad2019. Just so jaded.

Was he/she always like this? Or did rad onc make them this way? Med students, take notes! You could end up like radoncgrad2019.
Lol my Situation is fine but I’m worried for others for the future. Lot of people here are too. Some don’t give a **** but post here for the lulz. Some are old and out of touch and try to care but are way too disconnected. I honestly think the senior residents and the people 2-3 years out in practice are the most aware. Past that and you’re just not connected anymore, will happen to me too, we all get stuck in our own sphere and our own practice.

Mandelin Rain

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
Or.... some of us run large practices that communicate regularly with similar large practices nationwide...

But your sphere sounds nice and quaint.

Reactions: OTN

Mandelin Rain

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
So you’re well connected to the resident experience with communication with other large practices?

Cool.
Large practices constantly interview and hire active and newly graduated residents. Like dozens per year. Ever been to ASTRO? Are you actually a rad onc?

Stop while you're behind. I'm sure your academic satellite is very cozy and comfortable. You're earning all the brownie points you need by posting here.

OP
R
Aug 6, 2019
Status
Attending Physician
You agree that I am Kenneth Olivier?

Okay
Clearly does not know what “above” means. He/she never actually wants to address anything. If disagreed with, resorts to name calling/insults/sometimes casual racism. And from the post below, indicates that he/she has nobody to learn from except people within a few years of them.

This is not name calling, but it has become apparent that many of the younger generation behave this way. Look how often Scarb gets insulted and is able to just pass that and stick to issues. As do many of us that are veterans. The unfortunate thing is that we have to hire and work with people like this and it’s is really challenging. The constant complaining emails, unreasonable demands, the desire to receive more but contribute less.

But, that’s where we are.

Jun 18, 2019
Large practices constantly interview and hire active and newly graduated residents. Like dozens per year. Ever been to ASTRO? Are you actually a rad onc?

Stop while you're behind. I'm sure your academic satellite is very cozy and comfortable. You're earning all the brownie points you need by posting here.
Okay, lame attacks that have nothing to do with anything and are also false lol. Sometimes I mess around here for fun, but at least when I do I’m aware of it. The funny thing is you think you’re noble.

But interviewing applicants when you’re long out of training does not mean you have a good understanding of what it’s like to be a resident in 2020. But I get the feeling you don’t actually care that much about that

Mandelin Rain

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
Another embarrassing but mildly successful deflection from Ken Olivier's unsubstantiated gaslighting.

I wonder how his current residents feel know that they'll never care as much as this year's crop. Current McMayo residents, weigh-in. Do you care about your cancer patients? As much as the 2020 SOAPers?

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You agree that I am Kenneth Olivier?

Okay
The post above my previous one was the one from ROFallingDown.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just an unintentionally obtuse person who struggles with reading comprehension.

I agree and disagree with folks all the time, including you on both fronts, and let me say, you're in the wrong on this one mang.

Getting back on topic - Kenneth Olivier - the first step to fixing a problem is admitting that you have one. Most PDs have at least admitted there is one and now we can have discourse. Putting your fingers in your ears and screaming 'No! No! No!' and stamping your feet at any negative situation is counter productive.

Jun 18, 2019
Another embarrassing but mildly successful deflection from Ken Olivier's unsubstantiated gaslighting.

I wonder how his current residents feel know that they'll never care as much as this year's crop. Current McMayo residents, weigh-in. Do you care about your cancer patients? As much as the 2020 SOAPers?
Wait what do you want - me to comment on KO? Is that what you’re waiting for? I think he’s a well meaning guy but clearly he should work on his messaging as people are seeing him as tone deaf.

what even are you getting at?

Jun 18, 2019

I didn't know my good board scores and good research when I applied made me less committed to cancer patients

Going back to the original post, this is the type of post that will get lots of likes here. And I get that. But all I was saying is he obviously wasn’t saying that you were not committed to cancer patients because you were good on paper. But I know I know, People are here to be on teams and inserting a bit of reason doesn’t go over well on the internet. I’m aware that if you say this people think you’re Olivier.

Read my other Millions of posts and threads where I talk about problems in the field, and as a recent grad I actually care about the resident experience.

Reactions: thecarbonionangle
About the Ads