Rad Onc Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Something tells me your kids ignore your WhatsApp messages and when they do reply, it’s to tell that Modi sucks and to stop with the posts about him.

You can disrespect me, but don't you talk poorly about Modi !! He was and is a hero to all! Without him and his Chinese good buddy, where would we be today? They singlehandly revived the market for a beloved item loved worldwide.

Members don't see this ad.

Something tells me your kids ignore your WhatsApp messages and when they do reply, it’s to tell that Modi sucks and to stop with the posts about him.

Man lots of weird attacks on ROFallingDown as a person recently.

Maybe us youngins (myself included) should engage in discourse on the issues, not simply go after someone as a person.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me take the contrarian approach here and try to argue for the "quality" of applicants this year. Without a doubt, this year's match probably faced the most negative sentiment towards rad onc out of the last 10-15 years. There were anonymous twitter trolls, reddit posts, and probably a record number of negative posts in this very forum about why choosing rad onc in today's market would be a terrible idea financially, geographically, etc. Despite that, there were a number of very smart, motivated students that saw all that negative and made the decision that it is worth the risk because this is something they want to do for their career. I will take a motivated resident any day of any intelligence level, you don't have to be a genius to be a good radiation oncologist. We collected all the smartest, highest board scoring graduates with MD/PhDs for years, did that help our field? What measurable impact did all those superstar candidates do for our field?

Please spare me any replies about how naive or uninformed the current matched students might have been, or how they were "tricked" by the circlejerk social media cheerleaders. Give them more credit than that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man lots of weird attacks on ROFallingDown as a person recently.

Maybe us youngins (myself included) should engage in discourse on the issues, not simply go after someone as a person.

I apologize.
I got corona

Reactions: 1 user
Let me take the contrarian approach here and try to argue for the "quality" of applicants this year. Without a doubt, this year's match probably faced the most negative sentiment towards rad onc out of the last 10-15 years. There were anonymous twitter trolls, reddit posts, and probably a record number of negative posts in this very forum about why choosing rad onc in today's market would be a terrible idea financially, geographically, etc. Despite that, there were a number of very smart, motivated students that saw all that negative and made the decision that it is worth the risk because this is something they want to do for their career. I will take a motivated resident any day of any intelligence level, you don't have to be a genius to be a good radiation oncologist. We collected all the smartest, highest board scoring graduates with MD/PhDs for years, did that help our field? What measurable impact did all those superstar candidates do for our field?

Please spare me any replies about how naive or uninformed the current matched students might have been, or how they were "tricked" by the circlejerk social media cheerleaders. Give them more credit than that.
My guess is some of applicants are under spell of sunk cost fallacy. They had invested a few years in this and didn’t want to bail. Others simply blindly believe their mentors that everything will turn out ok (just like when corona virus was only in China in Jan). And some are just dumb- several gleefully exude stupidity on twitter.Btw You can be a genius and motivated and a good person. Again, a goodness constant does not exist such that if you excel in one area it must come at the trade off of another.

Next years match will be more telling because sunk cost will be much less

My guess is some of applicants are under spell of sunk cost fallacy. They had invested a few years in this and didn’t want to bail. Others simply blindly believe their mentors that everything will turn out ok (just like when corona virus was only in China in Jan). And some are just dumb- several gleefully exude stupidity on twitter.Btw You can be a genius and motivated and a good person. Again, a goodness constant does not exist such that if you excel in one area it must come at the trade off of another.

Next years match will be more telling because sunk cost will be much less

Radiation : ‘give them some credit’
RickyScott : ‘no, I’m gonna ridicule the **** out of them’

Reactions: 3 users

Only 2/3 of ths years class was US MD. Not sure what you are trying to brag about here? Matching the best and brightest got us better clinicians and better visibility of the field, vs the basement dwelling rad onc technicians we all know from the 70s and 80s.

When all is said and done, the stats this year and going forward are only going to worsen while folks like KO continue to gaslight about how great the current years matches are, and how decreasing step scores are a good thing in RO.

I don't see how being a safety specialty for FMGs improves our specialty (the competitive ones probably will go into a specialty with more geographic availability and increasing salaries like psych).

Last edited:
2/3 of the class was US MD. Not sure what you are trying to brag about here?

When all is said and done, the stats this year and going forward are only going to worsen while folks like KO continue to gaslight about how great the current years matches are

I’m sorry but this is the perfect example of a knee-jerk post. Could have been in reply to anything, but it certainly was not a reply to Radiation’s reasonable post.

2/3 of the class was US MD. Not sure what you are trying to brag about here?

When all is said and done, the stats this year and going forward are only going to worsen while folks like KO continue to gaslight about how great the current years matches are, and how decreasing step scores are a good thing in RO.

Radiation : says some stuff
Medgator: non-sequitur

Look it’s rough and tumble here. People are fired up. Just want readers to know, even if you disagree with me, I’m ready to have a proper debate and to stand up for residents and young doctors. I have your back regardless of the slurs and disrespect.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'll give this crop of med students some credit for dedication. Despite a lot of SDNers efforts to get students not to apply with all the horror stories, graphs/stats and hyperbole - they still went for it! I, myself, would not have applied this year given all the uncertainty. So these students may be more dedicated than me. But I've seen dedicated residents get jaded over time when the specialty jerks them around over and over. When you give and give, but get nothing in return. 2018 boards debacle, increasing difficulty finding desirable jobs, train at a malignant program or one that doesn't teach or care, declining reimbursements, abusive workplaces run by boomers, etc. Just look at radoncgrad2019. Once a happy go lucky person and now just bitter after residency.

Regarding the top applicants from the previous era, I think you still need to give them a chance. They will be assuming more leadership roles in 5-10 years and hopefully that will move us into a better position as a field. I'm Mr. Optimistic!

Reactions: 4 users

I think most of this is probably true. I'm sure there is plenty of dedication in this year's class as well as years prior and future.

But don't go on twitter and pretend this was all by design. "We overemphasized research. We cared too much about board score. We missed some really great candidates in the past. Now we are righting the ship and ignoring other things except for dedication"

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. When competitiveness goes down you don't have the luxury of using these screening metrics.

Must be tough for these PDs though. They use to have people begging to get a spot. All their useless research was completed dutifully by medical students. Now they have to recruit. They have to be the beggars.

Reactions: 8 users
I think most of this is probably true. I'm sure there is plenty of dedication in this year's class as well as years prior and future.

But don't go on twitter and pretend this was all by design. "We overemphasized research. We cared too much about board score. We missed some really great candidates in the past. Now we are righting the ship and ignoring other things except for dedication"

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. When competitiveness goes down you don't have the luxury of using these screening metrics.

Must be tough for these PDs though. They use to have people begging to get a spot. All their useless research was completed dutifully by medical students. Now they have to recruit. They have to be the beggars.

But, she has a really nice smile.

But, she has a really nice smile.

Agreed with all of the above

The other defense I've heard is "there is nothing wrong with having a high amount of FMG"

I want to clear up that none of us are against FMG per se, but that is absolutely an indicator of specialty competitiveness. No reason for hurt feelings

Agreed with all of the above

The other defense I've heard is "there is nothing wrong with having a high amount of FMG"

I want to clear up that none of us are against FMG per se, but that is absolutely an indicator of specialty competitiveness. No reason for hurt feelings
Other than path what specialties have lower percent match of us mds.

Clever, moderator. Keep up the insults. Bang up job! Good role model for the young ones out here that have completely stopped debating ideas.

I’ll take this opportunity while the subject is germane: do you like avocado toast? What about fish sticks? I keep hearing that boomers may not like them? Honestly very curious about your thoughts

Other than path what specialties have lower percent match of us mds.

historically been pathology, family med, Peds, internal med, neurology, psych with a sizable chunk of FMG

radiology used to be on there and still has a chunk of non US MDs but improving rapidly

rad Onc used to be on there before 3DCRT then improved rapidly now regressing

derm, plastic, ortho, neurosurgery still have very strong rates of US MDs

Last edited by a moderator:
historically been pathology, family med, Peds, internal med, neurology with a sizable chunk of FMG

radiology used to be on there and still has a chunk of non US MDs but improving rapidly

rad Onc used to be on there before 3DCRT then improved rapidly now regressing

derm, plastic, ortho, neurosurgery still have very strong rates of US MDs
Psych is more competitive than rad onc. Used to be an FMG haven a decade ago

I’ll take this opportunity while the subject is germane: do you like avocado toast? What about fish sticks? I keep hearing that boomers may not like them? Honestly very curious about your thoughts

Like fish sticks and avocado toast. I like fish sticks with sriracha mixed with ketchup. I like avocado toast at brunch with young people that complain about work (on a Tuesday afternoon, because .. that’s what work means, now).

• Haha
Like fish sticks and avocado toast. I like fish sticks with sriracha mixed with ketchup. I like avocado toast at brunch with young people that complain about work (on a Tuesday afternoon, because .. that’s what work means, now).

man some chap said you were a bad south asian, based on your liking of spicy ketchup you don’t sound too bad, mate.

• Haha

What a bizarre comment. Who doesn’t like fish sticks??

• Haha
OK enough of the fish sticks discussion folks. Let's get back on-topic.
I think OK boomer was mostly tongue-in-cheek ROFallingDown (I'm shortening that to ROFD going forward). Although if you were truly offended, then perhaps it's not so far off base.

Try Siracha and mayonnaise... changed my life! Oh shoot sorry, let me get back on topic... rad onc still great field just poor leaders.

• Haha
Only thing I ask of boomers and old Gen X’ers is they retire already.

Your time has passed

• Haha

Your time has passed

tumblr_d8da086eba5f1453194bfa96f79673e2_957641c6_640.jpg

• Haha

Your time has passed
I mean I straddle Gen X and Millennial (Oregon Trail Gen FTW), so I don't have too much of a dog in this fight, but it'd be harder to find a more millennial sentiment than this post.

"I'm not really asking much. Just that you give up your chosen profession and livelihood. Because, I know better than you. Based solely on my own belief."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I mean I straddle Gen X and Millennial (Oregon Trail Gen FTW), so I don't have too much of a dog in this fight, but it'd be harder to find a more millennial sentiment than this post.

"I'm not really asking much. Just that you give up your chosen profession and livelihood. Because, I know better than you. Based solely on my own belief."
As a late Gen Xer, we definitely seem to be the most grounded generation by far. Lots of whiners when it comes to boomers or millennials, although to be fair, the boomers, being the most selfish generation probably ever, have no room to whine

• Haha

Relax man.

JFC.

Nobody's other belief could be right. And, the way to combat those beliefs is to mock/belittle/insult those people. Or, say "okay, boomer". Or a tweet a ****ing meme. That is the "worst generation's" contribution to society. Responding to everything with a meme.

I 100% realize I'm setting myself for both an 1) "okay boomer" and 2) a meme

Because millennial.

• Haha

Ugh. As a millennial, is there anything MORE millennial than trying to further subdivide your millennial generation just to show just how unique you really are?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I think millennials should retire too.

With modern supervision rules I can take care of most of it myself

• Haha
Nobody's other belief could be right. And, the way to combat those beliefs is to mock/belittle/insult those people. Or, say "okay, boomer". Or a tweet a ****ing meme. That is the "worst generation's" contribution to society. Responding to everything with a meme.

Because millennial.

you’re practically begging for a meme here, like its almost wrong not too. Someone help this brotha out

Ugh. As a millennial, is there anything MORE millennial than trying to further subdivide your millennial generation just to show just how unique you really are?
I love this post.

Though, it should be noted that most members of the Oregon Trail Generation aka Generation Catalano aka Xennials identify more with Gen Xers than Millennials, with just a sprinkle of bright eyed optimism.

I love this post.

Though, it should be noted that most memmbers of the Oregon Trail Generation aka Generation Catalano aka Xennials identify more with Gen Xers than Millennials with a sprinkle of bright eyed optimism.
Pretty sure those of us born in the late 70s still played TOT on an IBM pc jr with floppy disks and are still squarely Gen X

Pretty sure those of us born in the late 70s still played TOT on an IBM pc jr with floppy disks and are still squarely Gen X
Not sure what the "formal definition" of Xennial is. Maybe 77 thru 83? But, if you killed Mary of dysentary in your elementary school's computer lab on an OG Mac, you're probably a member.

• Haha

Because millennial.

I had the urge. I googled ways to make a 2-for-1, a meme that got the importance of ok boomer out there.

I fought the urge. I couldn't find one that conveyed everything I wanted it to.

I buried the urge deep inside. B/c I put respeck on your name.

1585160717726.png

****, I relapsed.

• Haha