Radiologist Personality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginger_flower

pimped out
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been told that your personality plays a large part in matching into radiology, even by the PD and chair at my school. Now, I'm wondering, how would radiology residents describe themselves and the attendings that they aspire to be in terms of personality?

For the great majority of radiologists that I've talked to, they are superfriendly, supersmart, and super laid-back. :)

Members don't see this ad.

He he heh....
Ah but seriously, the personalities you run into during medical school can seriously influence your career choice. It is difficult to separate the effect of the profession itself on a person's pattern of behavior from the self-selection process in which certain personality traits tend to be closely associated with an interest in that specialty.
In my limited experience, the stereotype of the bright and pleasant radiologist has held up well, and this certainly did not hurt my interest in the field in the least. Now of course, I must add the caveat that there are all types in all professions, but I for one hope to perpetuate the flattering stereotype radiologists seem to enjoy, and I'd encourage everyone to please give each other the benefit of the doubt; even fundamentally sound people can come off as jerks under moments of extreme stress, and we all know each profession varies in the frequency with which such moments arise.

ginger_flower said:
So, I've been told that your personality plays a large part in matching into radiology, even by the PD and chair at my school. Now, I'm wondering, how would radiology residents describe themselves and the attendings that they aspire to be in terms of personality?

For the great majority of radiologists that I've talked to, they are superfriendly, supersmart, and super laid-back. :)

There is too much variation in personalities to categorize them under one rubric. However, radiologists do tend to be more intellectual types. And they don't try to pretend they are "super cool". And compared to many others, they are under no pressure to pretend that they know a lot about something when they don't. But overall, just like most fields, there's a lot of very different personalities going into the same field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, of course there are variations. We're talkin about humans here. ;)

On the whole, I guess I like radiology because the residents actually seem happy when I go to them for consults on patients. And, it seems like they actually do have a life outside the confines of the hospital. Both things that I :love: And, it doesn't hurt that the privates I've talked to all drive niiiice cars and live in mansions and have time to enjoy life. hehe he

it's not about the mansion or the nice cars, but about the peace of mind and contentment with one's life. Having nice things can be a huge mixed blessing - remember that clice about money and happiness? It exists for good reason.
.... and er, I'll assume that you were talking about physicians in private practice when you said you were talking to the "privates" .... :)

Radiojimi. You beat me to it.

God, that's funny.

Those privates are always happy.

BP

I have to say that I am more interested in the field for the intellectual stimulation. The new breed of clinicians, IMO, have had less of a reliance on the physical exam and history and more dependence upon imaging. I find that a good majority of scans (CT's and MR's :Body and Neuro) have had an alternative diagnosis to the initial clinician's suspicions. That makes our job, as radiologists, even more important than ever. I feel a personal satisfaction that I can recognize truly was is happening in a good number of cases. However, there are limitations to our technology which have made results of studies equivocal, also. The gratifying thing is the role as a consultant. The craft of knowing anatomy, pathology and respective imaging characteristics from various modalities is valuable. I realize when I speak, that some clinicians do not understand certain terminology or understand the differential diagnosis of certain findings but it makes me feel good that at least the patient, overall, benefits from the collaboration.

A case in point was a patient who was going to be discharged by the E.R. who had by plain film signs of intussusception that the E.R. staff thought was normal. The enema reduced it and the patient obviously improved.

We are in a good number of cases the first to see what is actually going on before the clinician realizes it. I can tell you that I will diagnose a fracture before the patient is even seen by the clinician (ie diagnosis of a tibial plateau fracture in a patient who wasn't seen by staff when I reported the findings).....

Oh, well, enough rambling, I'm on call and I need to check the 'list'....