Dec 2, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Hey Guys,

I have seen a few posts with varying information about how current radiologists describe their life. I understand that it depends on which hospital, area and sub-specialty you are in but I thought i'd collect some information for M3s like myself who are looking to go into radiology. I have not yet done my radiology elective, will do in a couple months. Also this is something I am truly interested in so please spare me the "if you love it then none of these questions should matter."
  1. Where do you work (hospital or private practice, and which state)
  2. How quickly do you have to read scans? Are you pressured to read faster or is it relatively at your own pace?
  3. What are your hours, what is call like for you and do you work weekends.
  4. How many weeks of vacation do you get per year?
  5. what do you think, given that you are in the field, will be the future of radiology? Will demand increase? Will reimbursements drop?
  6. What is your salary?
  7. Are you happy?
I appreciate your honest responses. Thank you

Reactions: CallMeBigJeff

Dave1980

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Your first question doesn't make sense. Many hospitals employ a PP group to staff it and many PP have employees who will never be partner. There are also way more types of groups that will impact all of your questions.

You may want to change the question to academic practice ,hospital employee, PP employee, PP partner, PP partnership-track, PE-owned group, telerad, VA.

Radology

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2017
Hey Guys,

I have seen a few posts with varying information about how current radiologists describe their life. I understand that it depends on which hospital, area and sub-specialty you are in but I thought i'd collect some information for M3s like myself who are looking to go into radiology. I have not yet done my radiology elective, will do in a couple months. Also this is something I am truly interested in so please spare me the "if you love it then none of these questions should matter."
  1. Where do you work (hospital or private practice, and which state)
  2. How quickly do you have to read scans? Are you pressured to read faster or is it relatively at your own pace?
  3. What are your hours, what is call like for you and do you work weekends.
  4. How many weeks of vacation do you get per year?
  5. what do you think, given that you are in the field, will be the future of radiology? Will demand increase? Will reimbursements drop?
  6. What is your salary?
  7. Are you happy?
I appreciate your honest responses. Thank you
1. Midwest private practice—partner
2. ERs. Goal of 30-60 minutes after they’re scanned. Not always possible based on volume, but that’s generally the expectation. Outpatients no real pressure, just finish by end of day
3. 8-5 weekdays. Decent daily workflow but volume has considerably picked up in the last few years. Call is about 1weekend a month, and is very very busy. To the point of being uncomfortable, and I’m faster than most of the older partners in my group
4. 12 weeks vacation
5. Your guess is as good as mine. I think salary or vacation time will drop a little, but the field is entering a critical shortage nationwide and an aging workforce. Attempts since 2005 to cut imaging utilization have failed miserably and Reliance on imaging has and will only continue to increase with continued mid level encroachment on primary care. I don’t see any major changes ahead aside from ebbs and flows in short term reimbursement changes
6. 500k
7. Lol

Last edited:
About the Ads
Mar 5, 2017
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
1. Midwest private practice—partner
2. ERs. Goal of 30-60 minutes after they’re scanned. Not always possible based on volume, but that’s generally the expectation. Outpatients no real pressure, just finish by end of day
3. 8-5 weekdays. Decent daily workflow but volume has considerably picked up in the last few years. Call is about 1weekend a month, and is very very busy. To the point of being uncomfortable, and I’m faster than most of the older partners in my group
4. 12 weeks vacation
5. Your guess is as good as mine. I think salary or vacation time will drop a little, but the field is entering a critical shortage nationwide and an aging workforce. Attempts since 2005 to cut imaging utilization have failed miserably and Reliance on imaging has and will only continue to increase with continued mid level encroachment on primary care. I don’t see any major changes ahead aside from ebbs and flows in short term reimbursement changes
6. 500k
7. Lol
Shhhhhhhhh, with posts like this you're going to make radiology super competitive. ;) were trying to keep it a secret

Reactions: holdthemayo

bjb305

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Midwest private group
7 on 7 off evening shift ( not overnight, just late evening)
I’m a fast reader so I don’t feel pressured. You can’t be dead slow in private practice tho cause the group will lose money on you if you’re too slow (like you gotta be really really really slow)
Super happy
Salary 300k but I do lots of locums internally to add another 100-200k and I’m not a partner yet

bobjonesbob

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Midwest private group
7 on 7 off evening shift ( not overnight, just late evening)
I’m a fast reader so I don’t feel pressured. You can’t be dead slow in private practice tho cause the group will lose money on you if you’re too slow (like you gotta be really really really slow)
Super happy
Salary 300k but I do lots of locums internally to add another 100-200k and I’m not a partner yet
$300k and in the midwest? Seems low based on what I've heard from the fellows I've talked to.

doctorsdatdo

Osteopathic Medical Student
Sep 22, 2018
Per my family member who’s an IR attending

1. Academic VIR east coast not in major city
2. High end teritary care IR. Trauma, cancer, filter, women’s health, venous malformation make up about 30-40%. Rest simple stuff.
3. 8-5 overall. It’s a balance. Sometimes I leave at 4pm, other time I leave at 9pm. Call is once a week on the average. Not very busy but you can’t sleep well on those.
4. 3 weeks of vacation (academia). separate CME time
5. Uncleae
6. 350-400k but we are not very busy. More like a lifestyle practice
7. I am happy with the job.

About the Ads