Radiology Lifestyle questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Where do you work (hospital or private practice, and which state)

Private practice in the midwest

2. How quickly do you have to read scans? Are you pressured to read faster or is it relatively at your own pace?

Depends, work is what everyone here considers to be busy but it isn't overwhelming. Im a couple years out and while id like to have more time I don't feel overly rushed most of the time

3. What are your hours, what is call like for you and do you work weekends.

Mostly 8 am to 4:30 weekdays. occasional 7 am tumor boards thrown in. rotating evening shifts. Call weekends 1:4 with 2 days off next work week as "post call". nights are covered by prelim tele

4 .How many weeks of vacation do you get per year?

12 per year

5. what do you think, given that you are in the field, will be the future of radiology? Will demand increase? Will reimbursements drop?

Trend since my training started has been more studies, year after year. The CT comes before the patient even sees a DR in our ER. I dont see this reversing anytime soon, esp with the aging boomer population and their medical needs

6. What is your salary?

$~650ish

7. Are you happy?

I'd like to think so. life is busy as a rad and even with the time off i miss more than I'd like to though
What was your backup option / Plan B if you hadn't gone into rads? Is the ~650ish as a partner, and if so after how many years?

If you had a younger sibling or kid in their early 20s deciding what to do with their life, would you recommend med school and/or rads?

Members don't see this ad.

3 years to partner. started at 250 --> 325 ---> 400 which by current markets standards is/was low when I signed. Its a solid group that is getting younger with recent retirements.

Once i decided on rads I never looked back. honestly have no idea what i would have done, haha

Reactions: 3 users
Its a decent gig overall for the time/compensation. I get to sleep through the night, see my kids often and when i leave work i am off. Id recommend the field to anyone that likes a fast paced job solving puzzles all day. I also do some breast work, so I get Just enough patient contact to feel like an actual doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can any rads talk about options for lower hours for reduced pay and how part time in rads looks?

can any rads talk about options for lower hours for reduced pay and how part time in rads looks?

If you are searching for a part-time gig from the get-go or straight out of training, do not expect equal or fair work load/salary that of a partner, In fact, if you start out as a part timer, you will never get to partnership. I strongly discourage this route as much as possible.

There is always part-time gig for reduced pay, even in places do not advertise for such post. You do not get there by showing up on interview asking right away for a part-time spot though. Usually, one works for a few years full time, and then find way within the organization to create a comfortable part-time that is mutually beneficial for the part-timer and the group. That partner-part timer creates a much better work load/salary. It happened to one of our older partner.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are searching for a part-time gig from the get-go or straight out of training, do not expect equal or fair work load/salary that of a partner, In fact, if you start out as a part timer, you will never get to partnership. I strongly discourage this route as much as possible.

There is always part-time gig for reduced pay, even in places do not advertise for such post. You do not get there by showing up on interview asking right away for a part-time spot though. Usually, one works for a few years full time, and then find way within the organization to create a comfortable part-time that is mutually beneficial for the part-timer and the group. That partner-part timer creates a much better work load/salary. It happened to one of our older partner.

that makese sense. regarding vacation time, how often to ppl use their entire vacation time? is it possible to use vacation days every friday to essentially work 4 days a week + call?

im just curious about how much autonomy radiologists have regarding their own schedules as in outpatient fields, they seeem to set their clinic hrs for the most part

Reactions: 1 user