Radiology with 235 Step 1 and all High Passes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxSynapsexX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to match into a decent academic radiology program in the southeast. For some reason i cannot hack the honors/240 barrier. Hopelessly mediocre yet stressing and studying like I should be doing much better. Do I have a good shot at matching in Radiology with these average stats and almost little to no research?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I wanted to match into a decent academic radiology program in the southeast. For some reason i cannot hack the honors/240 barrier. Hopelessly mediocre yet stressing and studying like I should be doing much better. Do I have a good shot at matching in Radiology with these average stats and almost little to no research?
You can check the AAMC match stats and program director survey results for meaningful, objective data relevant to your question. I think the match rate in radiology last year was like 99%. Not sure about regional differences.

You'll easily match, stop stressing and enjoy the process

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to apply to a lot of programs that you would be competitive at and you will be fine. If you apply to all top 20 programs you might have a harder time matching, whereas if you include a bunch of community programs and lower tier programs you are much better off. People SOAP/scramble into radiology each year because there are unfilled spots.

I am assuming you are a new 3rd year medical student doing clinical rotations. Just a few insights:
1. The avg Step 1 for a matched applicant last cycle was 241. You're right in the middle (or just slightly below average) and in prime position to match (assuming no red flags) so long as you have a good mix of programs (high tier ("top 30"), mid-tier, and some lower ranked community programs.
2. I love radiology and would be exciting for you to choose it, but go through your third year rotations with an open mind in each and every single one. You may find out you enjoy something else, or you may not. Either way, give each rotation a chance.
3. Do your radiology elective/rotation early fourth year so you can get letters. Typically radiology applicants have 4 letters (one rad, two clinical, and one other). Don't submit less than two non-radiology, clinical letters.
4. If you want to help yourself more going forward, do as best as you can during your rotations and try to improve upon your Step 1 score with Step 2. Not all radiology programs weigh highly (or even look at) Step 2, but many programs do.
5. Show interest in the field by either doing a research project (and getting it published or presented or whatever) and having a good rapport with radiology folks at your home institution (especially program director, assistant program directors, department and divisional chairs).

Good luck to you. You'll more than likely be fine when it comes to matching into radiology.

Reactions: 1 users
Similar boat as you, 236 Step 1. 248 Step 2 CK. Top 20% of med school class, no AOA, 3.83 GPA. Apply broadly, I applied to 58 programs total, mostly "mid-tier programs" with 10-15 "top" programs that I considered reachy, for me anyways. Best of luck to anyone else applying DR.

I am assuming you are a new 3rd year medical student doing clinical rotations. Just a few insights:
1. The avg Step 1 for a matched applicant last cycle was 241. You're right in the middle (or just slightly below average) and in prime position to match (assuming no red flags) so long as you have a good mix of programs (high tier ("top 30"), mid-tier, and some lower ranked community programs.
2. I love radiology and would be exciting for you to choose it, but go through your third year rotations with an open mind in each and every single one. You may find out you enjoy something else, or you may not. Either way, give each rotation a chance.
3. Do your radiology elective/rotation early fourth year so you can get letters. Typically radiology applicants have 4 letters (one rad, two clinical, and one other). Don't submit less than two non-radiology, clinical letters.
4. If you want to help yourself more going forward, do as best as you can during your rotations and try to improve upon your Step 1 score with Step 2. Not all radiology programs weigh highly (or even look at) Step 2, but many programs do.
5. Show interest in the field by either doing a research project (and getting it published or presented or whatever) and having a good rapport with radiology folks at your home institution (especially program director, assistant program directors, department and divisional chairs).

Good luck to you. You'll more than likely be fine when it comes to matching into radiology.
Thats great to hear man. My biggest fear really is Radiology becoming competitive again during the 2019 match. I heard there has been a recent increase in applicants and interest since the job market is picking up again. I have no doubts about applying to Radiology to be honest but Ill take your advice and be open the other rotations.

Reactions: 1 user