RadOnc Match Stats (2006)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course, more info will be available on Thursday, but here is what NRMP has published so far.

RadOnc Categorical Spots (PGY1-PGY5) 17/17 Filled

RadOnc Advanced Spots (PGY2-PGY5) 111/113 Filled

The two "available" RadOnc spots for the Scramble are located in the Central Region (basically Midwest) and Southern Region (Southeast from Texas to VA and WV).

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "PGY" mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
can you please tell me where you found this info?

Gfunk6 said:
Of course, more info will be available on Thursday, but here is what NRMP has published so far.

RadOnc Categorical Spots (PGY1-PGY5) 17/17 Filled

RadOnc Advanced Spots (PGY2-PGY5) 111/113 Filled

The two "available" RadOnc spots for the Scramble are located in the Central Region (basically Midwest) and Southern Region (Southeast from Texas to VA and WV).

where could I find out how many people applied?

wow that many imgs? Interested to see how they did.

The actual number of applicants who participated in the match will likely be significantly lower as in past years. Last year, despite 350 applicants through ERAS, the number who actually participated in the NRMP match process was 225.

why would someone apply through eras but not participate in the match? just curious.

A couple of years ago, U VA didnt fill because their ROL was too short in terms of candidates. Last year, I think people may have been concerned over U Rochester's probationary status??

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone be so kind as to post which programs did not fill? I think the information should become available today.

Thanks

remember those stats are for up through 2005; not including this year.
steph.

I was wondering if someone knew which programs didn't fill. I'm trying to deduce where I might have ended up, if either of those programs was on my rank list, I guess I'd know that I didn't go further than that.

Or, I can just wait til Thursday like everybody else.

I've been on cloud nine. I can't stop smiling. It feels so good to know that I will spend only 9 more nights on in-house call for the rest of my life. And, I won't have to do admission orders. And, I won't have to round and round and round. And I won't have to beg for 1 day off a week. And I can just take care of sick people, not the softie r/o MI in a 34 year old lady with a panic attack or the 45 yo man with a chief complaint of 'narc seeking'. And I can actually spend time with patients instead of trying to round on my ten freaking patients before 7.30 work rounds. As you can tell, I have had just about enough of inpatient medicine :)

By the way, I'm unemployed come June 23rd. Any ideas for income?

The Happiest Man in the World,
Simul

Hey Simul,

You wouldn't happen to be talking about arm size here, would you?

"20 inches, nothing less"

SimulD said:
I was wondering if someone knew which programs didn't fill.

I believe one of those spots is Mayo Jacksonvill and the other is Ohio State (from one my friend told me).

Gfunk6 said:
PGY = Post-graduate year (the # of years after med school)
Why are there only 17 PGY1 programs? Is it beause you have to do a year of general/IM intership before formally entering the program?

And what happens to those who didn't match (~50%)? Do they do an intership for a year and then reapply? Usually, how successful are they during the second round?

Those 17 programs are integrated (e.g. the PGY-1 general medicine year is included in the 4 years of RadOnc).

For the other programs, you have to match into the PGY-1 position yourself (e.g. it is not automatic).

If you don't match you have several options:

1. Switch fields
2. Intern year, then reapply
3. Research year, then reapply
4. Intern year, try to find someone who dropped out of program so you can "slip into" a PGY-2 position

No idea @ the success rate the 2nd time around but a couple of SDNers have done it successfully.

Gfunk6 said:
Those 17 programs are integrated (e.g. the PGY-1 general medicine year is included in the 4 years of RadOnc).

For the other programs, you have to match into the PGY-1 position yourself (e.g. it is not automatic).

1. Switch fields
4. Intern year, try to find someone who dropped out of program so you can "slip into" a PGY-2 position

No idea @ the success rate the 2nd time around but a couple of SDNers have done it successfully.

let's say someone wanted to do rad onc or heme/onc. If they did not get into rad onc the first time, but got into the internal medicine residency- could they still reapply to rad onc the next cycle? Would this not do much to improve your application in that year? thanks!

fun8stuff said:
let's say someone wanted to do rad onc or heme/onc. If they did not get into rad onc the first time, but got into the internal medicine residency- could they still reapply to rad onc the next cycle? Would this not do much to improve your application in that year? thanks!

You could definitely apply to Rad Onc again while in your internship, but that raises several issues. First, if it's hard to interview all over the country as a medical student, it is generally much more difficult for most interns to get enough time off to do so (unless you pick your internship program very carefully and design your schedule accordingly.) Secondly, if you are fortunate enough to match on the second go around, you will have to find something to do the following year, since your Rad Onc residency won't start immediately after your internship. Finally, doing an internship really doesn't add anything to your Rad Onc application. You probably won't interact with radiation oncologists and won't have time for research. Being a decent intern is not that hard (i.e. it's mostly grunt work) and a letter of rec from an internship attending doesn't really count any more than one from your sub-I in medical school. While the path you propose has been traveled, it is not an easy (or desirable) one.

Gfunk6 said:

1. Switch fields

Thank you so much for answering my questions!

So to get into a PGY2 program, you'll have to first match into something else for a year, and then apply to their Radonc program?

happydays said:
So to get into a PGY2 program, you'll have to first match into something else for a year, and then apply to their Radonc program?

Well, yes but you apply to both simultaneously. Many people like to do their PGY-1 year in the same geographic region as their RadOnc PGY-2. Sometimes, folks will actually wait until rather late in the application cycle to see where they are getting RadOnc interviews and then apply to local preliminary/transitional programs. This is risky b/c RadOnc tends to inform applicants rather late and if you apply late to PGY-1 programs your chances of matching are likely reduced.