Rafflecopter's guide to getting into medical school (starting from birth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m so sick of all the tips I see on SDN because all this advice comes way too late, so I thought I would make a comprehensive guide to becoming the perfect medical school applicant. Now, I know what you’re thinking – as a newborn infant, what can I do to prepare for medical school? The truth of the matter is that if you don’t start soon (by your second birthday) you’ll have missed countless opportunities to turn yourself into the perfect medical school applicant.

Age 0-2

Your first chance to show your stuff is at birth. While most babies use this time to cry and get acclimated with their new world, this is not the most ideal use of your time. Instead, consider your birth a valuable clinical experience. Examine the doctors and nurses and see how they interact with their patients (you and your mother). For extra resume padding, push yourself out of the womb (then you could say in your personal statement that you helped deliver a baby at birth).

In your early, formative years where you are busy developing the ability to speak, why not try two or three languages? The best time to acquire a language is at an early age and you’ll be doing yourself a favor.

Once you can start to walk, its important to help other babies learn to walk as well, as this can be valuable community service. Consider starting a Walking Support Group – admissions committee members love to see applicants take charge like this, especially if they still wear diapers.

Ages 2-13 coming up in the next installment....

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to read more of your autobiography…..sounds like a pretty charming life.

Haven't you heard? A sense of humor is detrimental to your career as a physician. Now go practice your "I'm a serious doctor" face in the mirror for 30min to make up for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great advice. I'm still regretting my decisions during the "terrible twos." Do you think an adcom will know if I kicked the Easter Bunny in the shin at the mall when I was 2? I also think that the amount of play-doh I ingested directly affected my MCAT score.

Damn, and I thought I was on track by teaching my 22 month old where her brain and heart are.

I’m so sick of all the tips I see on SDN because all this advice comes way too late, so I thought I would make a comprehensive guide to becoming the perfect medical school applicant. Now, I know what you’re thinking – as a newborn infant, what can I do to prepare for medical school? The truth of the matter is that if you don’t start soon (by your second birthday) you’ll have missed countless opportunities to turn yourself into the perfect medical school applicant.

Hmm, perhaps you missed a classic piece of gold from back in the day.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5370511&postcount=35

This will help you even if it seems too late.

Age 0-2

Your first chance to show your stuff is at birth. While most babies use this time to cry and get acclimated with their new world, this is not the most ideal use of your time. Instead, consider your birth a valuable clinical experience. Examine the doctors and nurses and see how they interact with their patients (you and your mother). For extra resume padding, push yourself out of the womb (then you could say in your personal statement that you helped deliver a baby at birth).

In your early, formative years where you are busy developing the ability to speak, why not try two or three languages? The best time to acquire a language is at an early age and you’ll be doing yourself a favor.

Once you can start to walk, its important to help other babies learn to walk as well, as this can be valuable community service. Consider starting a Walking Support Group – admissions committee members love to see applicants take charge like this, especially if they still wear diapers.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyone remember when they were a fetus? You can talk about child development in the womb on your application. The experience can be listed as clinical shadowing. mark it down on amcas guys!

Activity: Shadowing/clinical experience
Start Date: June, 1989
End Date: Death
Hrs/Wk: 168

Members don't see this ad :)
It's okay, I'm right there with ya Kitty. I was already trying to save the world... as She-Ra.

:laugh: OMG! I loved watching He-man and She-Ra! And yes, I just gave away my age too. :smuggrin:

Ok...so I thought I was She-Ra! I had the outfit, sword, etc.

And the big wheel. Oh the big wheel. :cool:

Edit: Should I count the stitches I got from trying to haul a suntea jar that shattered because I thought I was She-Ra as clinical exp? hehe

Ok...so I thought I was She-Ra! I had the outfit, sword, etc.

And the big wheel. Oh the big wheel. :cool:

Edit: Should I count the stitches I got from trying to haul a suntea jar that shattered because I thought I was She-Ra as clinical exp? hehe

Hahaha, I think LOTS of little girls thought they were She-Ra. It was all about the big wheel... and the big golden plastic headdress.

You know we're stylin' :cool:

:corny:

Edit: OMG, seriously?! hehehe I had more skinned knees than I could count running around doing She-Ra type stuff.

Last edited:
Apparently for the 2-13year installment Raffle will have to include "Act like cartoon superhero to gain clinical experiences"

We have emergency med experience! Sweet!

Apparently for the 2-13year installment Raffle will have to include "Act like cartoon superhero to gain clinical experiences"

We have emergency med experience! Sweet!
Nice!

Also, once you're in day care/pre-k, you learn to share and give away all your toys to show you have a sense of charity.

When you learn to read and write, start reading groups with your classmates to show you have self-directed and collaborative learning skills.

This advice has a lot of holes in it. You didn't even cover prenatal studying to make sure that you get a good Apgar score.

Age 0-2