Random AADSAS Questions: 2018-2019 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do I know the DAT has been verified??
This is from last cycle but it'll be like this:
Unofficial is what I entered the day I took the test, while official scores is my "verified DAT scores" that were uploaded like 2 weeks after I took the test. This is found in your application PDF that you can download from the "Check Status" portion of the app system (~pg 4).
upload_2018-7-7_14-13-2.png

Members don't see this ad.

This is from last cycle but it'll be like this:
Unofficial is what I entered the day I took the test, while official scores is my "verified DAT scores" that were uploaded like 2 weeks after I took the test. This is found in your application PDF that you can download from the "Check Status" portion of the app system (~pg 4).
View attachment 236792
THANK YOU! Your scores are amazing!

Reactions: 1 user
2 questions from someone who is reapplying:

1. When listing the schools you applied to in the past, did you write the full name of the school (e.g. Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, etc.) or use abbreviations? I applied to about 15 schools so I am running past the character limit.

2. I applied in July 2016 so I can start in the fall/late summer of 2017. For the question indicate the year in which you applied, should I check 2017 rather than 2016?

In the FAQs, it says, "If you previously applied to any dental medical colleges, select the year(s) you applied. Use the entering year of the fall semester when you would have enrolled. Report only applications submitted before the current ADEA AADSAS application cycle." So I think I'm supposed to check 2017 but double checking here.
1. Not a reapplicant but I'd use abbreviations. I'm sure if they don't understand your abbreviation or need more info, they can just contact you directly. Or, put something like "Rutgers SoDM, University of Pennsylvania SoDM" etc.
2. Based on the FAQ, I'd put 2017. Technically you can think about it like this: If there's a 2018 option to check, then that'll mean last year's cycle, and you applied before that (2 cycles ago) so you'd put 2017. (2018= last year's cycle, 2017 = your year's cycle)
On the other hand, if 2017 is the latest option there (no 2018 whatsoever), then that'll mean last year's cycle, and you would put 2016 for your cycle. (2017= last year's cycle, 2016 = your year's cycle).
Hope I wasn't confusing haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently have been getting emails from schools that they received my application and I needed to pay supp fees. But on my application, I don't see my verified GPA or anything. Is this normal? The schools were Columbia and tufts

I recently have been getting emails from schools that they received my application and I needed to pay supp fees. But on my application, I don't see my verified GPA or anything. Is this normal? The schools were Columbia and tufts
The schools get an email as soon as you hit submit. Most of the time the schools won't start considering your app until it gets verified. A lot of schools though will offer their secondary app right away to everyone because that is how they make money. They won't look at you until the app has been verified and the secondary submitted though.

The schools get an email as soon as you hit submit. Most of the time the schools won't start considering your app until it gets verified. A lot of schools though will offer their secondary app right away to everyone because that is how they make money. They won't look at you until the app has been verified and the secondary submitted though.
Thank you! Also I was wondering where on the PDF would we be able to see our verified GPA? (once it has been verified of course)

Thank you! Also I was wondering where on the PDF would we be able to see our verified GPA? (once it has been verified of course)
Once your app is verified there will be two full pages of GPAs at the end of the coursework section.

Reactions: 1 users
Once your app is verified there will be two full pages of GPAs at the end of the coursework section.
Thanks Again! So would you suggest just paying all the supp fee right now while it is getting verified? I feel like it should be done soon since I had it completed on 6/24

Does anyone have two stars next to their 6 highlighted experiences? (for a submitted app) I'm trying to change my highlighted activities now but I don't think that option is available on the application.

Does anyone have two stars next to their 6 highlighted experiences? (for a submitted app) I'm trying to change my highlighted activities now but I don't think that option is available on the application.

You cannot change already highlighted activities on the application.

Thanks Again! So would you suggest just paying all the supp fee right now while it is getting verified? I feel like it should be done soon since I had it completed on 6/24
It depends on the school. UCLA for instance says to wait until they email you. I applied to Western and Roseman before I even submitted my AADSAS app because I was waiting on a few things. I would get everything done that you can as early as you can.

I forgot to add some volunteering and EC stuff (some significant items) before I submitted late last week. If I update them in AADSAS now, would the schools be able to see those new experiences? Should I reach out to the schools and ask them to look at the most recently added items?

Last edited:
I forgot to add some volunteering and EC stuff (some significant items) before I submitted late last week. If I update them in AADSAS now, which the schools be able to see those new experiences? Should I reach out to the schools and ask them to look at the most recently added items?

Your best bet would be to call AADSAS and have them enter it if they’re able to. If they can’t then call the schools and see if they can put a note on your app maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to add some volunteering and EC stuff (some significant items) before I submitted late last week. If I update them in AADSAS now, would the schools be able to see those new experiences? Should I reach out to the schools and ask them to look at the most recently added items?
You can always add ECs. The AADSAS says that "After submission, you may select additional experiences as most important up to the maximum but may not remove previously-designated experiences." "After submission, you can add more experiences. However, you cannot update or delete completed experiences." I am not sure how or when the schools are notified that your app has changed though

Do you manually update your application after you add new experiences (or get a new LOR) or does AADSAS automatically do that for you? I see there is an update button.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but I took my DAT back in January and submitted my application on June 30th. Everything is verified besides my DAT score. I have entered everything correctly including my DENTPIN, but noticed that there are score reports that can be sent out on ADA. Do I need to send one of the score reports to all of the schools I have applied for or ADEA AADSAS will be able to access and verify my score?

This may be a stupid question but I took my DAT back in January and submitted my application on June 30th. Everything is verified besides my DAT score. I have entered everything correctly including my DENTPIN, but noticed that there are score reports that can be sent out on ADA. Do I need to send one of the score reports to all of the schools I have applied for or ADEA AADSAS will be able to access and verify my score?
When you registered to take your DAT, did you select at least one school? If you did, then it should be uploaded soon. If you didn't, you'll have to go through the ADA to send the scores to each school just like you saw (I think it's like $35/school or something).

Does anyone know when the best time to have secondaries done by? I know the earlier the better but what would be early in this case since it is all dependent on when you are verified and get the emails from schools.

When you registered to take your DAT, did you select at least one school? If you did, then it should be uploaded soon. If you didn't, you'll have to go through the ADA to send the scores to each school just like you saw (I think it's like $35/school or something).

I actually did not send it to any schools since I didn't know which school I wanted to apply for at that time, but I'll make sure to send them to my schools. Is one school sufficient or do I need to send them to all schools?

I actually did not send it to any schools since I didn't know which school I wanted to apply for at that time, but I'll make sure to send them to my schools. Is one school sufficient or do I need to send them to all schools?
Oh...then you'll have to send a score report to each and every school I believe. It'll add up :/ I think it's a system where you can send your scores in before you take the test (without knowing how you did) for free, but if you want to wait until you have your scores in hand (as you did), then you'll have to pay to send it to each school. I think you should call the ADA for more information...

Does anyone know when the best time to have secondaries done by? I know the earlier the better but what would be early in this case since it is all dependent on when you are verified and get the emails from schools.
Just ASAP, as soon as they come in, start working on them and send them off. That way your application will be complete as soon as possible, and you'll hopefully be placed into a queue for interviewing sooner too!

Is anyone else having an issue saving their Roseman answers under the Questions tab next to verifying their Prerequisite coursework? The Questions tab just asks some basic questions and you check the boxes to help them get to know a little more about you. I made sure to have at least one box checked in each section, but the Save & Continue button at the bottom does not turn green and allow me to submit. Is anyone else struggling with this technical error? Or were you all able to submit your Roseman answers?

Is anyone else having an issue saving their Roseman answers under the Questions tab next to verifying their Prerequisite coursework? The Questions tab just asks some basic questions and you check the boxes to help them get to know a little more about you. I made sure to have at least one box checked in each section, but the Save & Continue button at the bottom does not turn green and allow me to submit. Is anyone else struggling with this technical error? Or were you all able to submit your Roseman answers?
I was able to submit my application. I would check the other pages to make sure that you didn't miss any of the required sections. If not call them because I didn't have any issues with it and it may be something with their system and your application.

Do most schools have their individual portal?? Or do people refer to the portal as the AADSAS portal? Also: is it normal to have every one of my schools as “verified” if I applied on 6/5? Or should they have chances by now?

Do most schools have their individual portal?? Or do people refer to the portal as the AADSAS portal? Also: is it normal to have every one of my schools as “verified” if I applied on 6/5? Or should they have chances by now?
Depends on the school. Schools like Roseman, Midwestern and MUSC all have their own portals. Where schools like UCLA and UW do not. Each school is different. I applied about that early and all of mine still say verified.

Does AADSAS verify transcripts immediately after its received?

Can you get an interview if you submit every part of your application prior to taking your DAT exam in late August?

Does AADSAS verify transcripts immediately after its received?
No, they only start the verification process once you've submitted at least 1 application (paid your $249- they won't do anything until you've paid them).
Can you get an interview if you submit every part of your application prior to taking your DAT exam in late August?
Extremely unlikely because the DAT is an important part of your application. They'd just hold off on your application until it is complete, which would only be after your scores are in.

For publications that have been submitted... the section under "Issued Date" refers to when I started working on the project or when the paper was submitted?

For publications that have been submitted... the section under "Issued Date" refers to when I started working on the project or when the paper was submitted?
I did when the paper was published.

OMG how long does this Professional Transcript Entry thing take??
I thought they would do it much faster so I signed up for it in May ~20.

Is it really 4-week queue time since submitting? My transcripts were in 1st week of June.
Any chance I can cancel my PTE request and enter grades myself?

Should I contact schools about this and just let them know I submitted on X and have been waiting for PTE to enter grades?

I wanted to know if its okay to update your AADSAS with experiences that you have just started (like a two or three weeks in) ?

Hey, so I recently received UF's supplemental application yesterday and while completing the application, I noticed I made a mistake on my "expected degree date" portion in which I put I would have a degree by 06/2018 when technically it is not until 06/2019 on the submitted/completed version. I'm wondering if I should go to the dental school admissions office or call them since I do attend UF for undergrad so going wouldn't be too much of a hassle to handle the situation. The alternative I'm thinking is to just ignore the mistake since it is very minor and they have to be real sticklers to not recognize it is a simple mistake.

Any opinion or insight is appreciated, thanks !

So I think I have the answer to my previous question here. There is an update button like someone mentioned, and when you click that it will update the application to each school. However, I don't know if the school gets a notification that the application has been updated if they already pulled the info from AADSAS into their system. I know that NOVA does a manual extract at the end of the week each week, but I don't know if they re-extract everyone or just new applicants.

New question. I see on some other thread with people saying that their application was "mailed" on a certain day. Is that something you see an update on the AADSAS?

for the experiences section, should I keep repeating my university after each club/department?
ex:
Bio TA, Univ. of X
Food Bank, Univ. of X
Recreation, Univ. of X

Must your AADSAS be only experiences you had leadership in? if I play a club sport at uni for a few years can I put that or does that have no value to dental schools

Answering all of you to the best of my ability:
OMG how long does this Professional Transcript Entry thing take??
I thought they would do it much faster so I signed up for it in May ~20.

Is it really 4-week queue time since submitting? My transcripts were in 1st week of June.
Any chance I can cancel my PTE request and enter grades myself?

Should I contact schools about this and just let them know I submitted on X and have been waiting for PTE to enter grades?
Not sure how long it takes, but I think you should just leave it be, like don't go back and forth. I wouldn't contact schools because I don't think they'd really care, plus what can they do? They don't have your application in front of them, and yes although the PTE is delaying your application, schools won't jump to your app when they do finally receive it. Honestly I'd stay away from contacting the schools and instead pester AADSAS.

Hi! I have a few quick questions, and I apologize in advance if they had previously been asked:

1. Should your experiences be listed in present or past tense?
2. If I have a first author publication, but technically from HS, what should I do with it?

Thanks so much!
1. Past tense if the experience is not ongoing, present tense if it is ongoing.
2. Up to you if you want to include it or not- no one on here can really say yes/no. Things from HS are traditionally not included on applications as the things you've done in college are more recent and usually more significant, but this is a first author publication so it's kind of in that gray area. If it's extremely significant to you, put it on your application.

I wanted to know if its okay to update your AADSAS with experiences that you have just started (like a two or three weeks in) ?
I think you should only update if you have a significant number of hours (maybe like 40-50 hours). Otherwise, a new activity with 3 hours wouldn't really mean much to adcoms.

New question. I see on some other thread with people saying that their application was "mailed" on a certain day. Is that something you see an update on the AADSAS?
I put "AADSAS mailed-out date:" on that thread as the day your application was verified, basically the day schools received your entire PDF application. There's no update on AADSAS, it's basically the day your app was sent to a school. If the school was added before verification day, then mail out day = verification day (they couldn't have received it before you were verified). If the school was added after you were already verified, then mail out day = day of submission (because schools get it immediately after you pay the primary fee). Hope this makes sense.

for the experiences section, should I keep repeating my university after each club/department?
ex:
Bio TA, Univ. of X
Food Bank, Univ. of X
Recreation, Univ. of X
No. I'm pretty sure there's a place for the location when you add an experience, so you don't need to keep putting it in the title. Exception would be if the name of the activity has the school's name in it.

Must your AADSAS be only experiences you had leadership in? if I play a club sport at uni for a few years can I put that or does that have no value to dental schools
No. You should put other activities too, not just the ones you had leadership roles in. This helps to show that not only are you a leader (through those roles), but you're also a teamplayer/work well with others/well-rounded. Add it!

Hope this helps everyone :) Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
When highlighting experiences, is it best to give an overall picture of myself? I'm not sure if I want to include only 'proper' type things, like being a TA, dental volunteering, food bank volunteering, shadowing (?). Or if highlighting the intramural sport I did could be a highlight, since I also talked about it in my PS. thanks!

When highlighting experiences, is it best to give an overall picture of myself? I'm not sure if I want to include only 'proper' type things, like being a TA, dental volunteering, food bank volunteering, shadowing (?). Or if highlighting the intramural sport I did could be a highlight, since I also talked about it in my PS. thanks!

Normally I’d say yes, but I’m not too sure where an IM sport would fit. I feel like experiences are generally supposed to be more school-related than an IM sport if you know what I’m saying

Hey everyone, would you mind sharing how long it took your official dat scores to post on your application PDFs after taking the exam? I took mine on July 6 and it’s still not showing. I double checked my Dentpin account and I did choose to send them to all schools. Thanks

When adding a new experience to the AADSAS after submission, I clicked saved and continue and it automatically updated without me finishing my sentence (actually I just had a bullet and an incomplete address field) and it clicked a star for the activity. Is my application now ruined because of this simple mishap or will adcoms overlook this?

Hey everyone, would you mind sharing how long it took your official dat scores to post on your application PDFs after taking the exam? I took mine on July 6 and it’s still not showing. I double checked my Dentpin account and I did choose to send them to all schools. Thanks
I took mine on July 6th as well. My official score got posted on ADA's website yesterday. It's not showing on my application though. I will wait one more day. If it still doesn't show there, I will probably call AADSAS regarding the issue.

Is your score up on ADA's website as well?

I took mine on July 6th as well. My official score got posted on ADA's website yesterday. It's not showing on my application though. I will wait one more day. If it still doesn't show there, I will probably call AADSAS regarding the issue.

Is your score up on ADA's website as well?

Same here, scores posted to ADA yesterday. I'm guessing we will see it on AADSAS in a day or two

I am finalizing my experiences section on the AADSAS application....

1.) Is this section to merely provide what I did when volunteering/working/etc or should I be including skills I learned from these experiences and how it related to dentistry?

2.) How much is "too much" to add to this section? Should I follow the 6 entries per activity max?

I have a few grade changes on my transcript that have not been processed yet. I wanted to know if I should still send my transcript to AADSAS and then resubmit after the grade changes have occurred?

I am a bit concerned about the letters Interfolio uploaded to my AADSAS. So when I look through the PDF application 'coversheet' that schools receive, I notice that my letter sections aren't consistent. Refer to the pic for a visual.

Note: ALL 4 of my letters were uploaded through Interfolio in the same manner. I requested the Interfolio deliveries all within the same hour. All of the letters were delivered by Interfolio the same day as well. So it's baffling me why there is an inconsistency in the "Professional Title" and "Organization" field.

Does anyone else have this issue with their apps? And would this be an actual issue, or do schools just read the contents of the letters?

Also, Interfolio says this on their Delivery webpage, which might be the reason for this?:
"Some systems require the uploader to answer additional questions in order to upload a letter. We will leave those questions empty or select "N/A" when possible. However, if the questions are required and we cannot answer them, we will cancel the request and notify you."

Y9H1PwB.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys I just put in a new experience with one line in the description so I could save it and edit later. I did not realize entering new experiences AFTER you submitted an application saves and cannot be edited afterwards. Should I enter the same experience again with a better description?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hey guys I just put in a new experience with one line in the description so I could save it and edit later. I did not realize entering new experiences AFTER you submitted an application saves and cannot be edited afterwards. Should I enter the same experience again with a better description?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have similar question as well. I did not know it cannot be saved afterwards. I thought it was a glitch in the system. I emailed AADSAS and they told me there was nothing I can do about that. But if someone can confirm that re-adding the entry with a better description is good and adcoms would not care, i would like to know too!

A minimum of six credits or two semesters of a general biology sequence. This varies from school to school, but most courses should begin with the prefix of BIO, BIOL or BIOLOGY.

this means every single biology course i've taken or just two?
I've never taken "general biology" as it wasn't required by school.

How long does the transcript verification process usually take? They received my transcripts a week ago but the status still says "arrived". Also, will the status of my transcripts immediately change to "verified" once they are done with the verification process or does it take a few days?