random: Can pods have a "creative" practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lk2230

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To (sort of clarify):

In many medical specialties, highly successful doctors in that field often have very, very specific practices limited to something they are very well-known for, or have very unique approaches. (i.e., very generically: an internal med doc may specialize in cardiology, and even further specialize in interventional. that would be far enough for what I'm saying, but some even limit their practices further, to say one condition they are so good at that it is all they do.)

Or, from another approach: I was reading an article in (Details, GQ) about sports science comparing qualities from famous tests done on Babe Ruth compared to today's Albert Pujolz and other players. One of the tests was an extremely innovative, unique eye exam to test cognition, reaction speed, depth perception developed by one very talented OPTOMETRIST. His entire practice now consists of performing these tests for high paying sports clients.

Does anyone know of pods who do something like this? i.e. perhaps a pod who is known for Biomechanics who runs a practice based around dianostics for athletes? Or a pod who is so good at a particular surgery that that is all the do?

I know, weird question, and awkwardly phrased. Just contribute your two cents, or however much you like.:)

Members don't see this ad.

To (sort of clarify):

In many medical specialties, highly successful doctors in that field often have very, very specific practices limited to something they are very well-known for, or have very unique approaches. (i.e., very generically: an internal med doc may specialize in cardiology, and even further specialize in interventional. that would be far enough for what I'm saying, but some even limit their practices further, to say one condition they are so good at that it is all they do.)

Or, from another approach: I was reading an article in (Details, GQ) about sports science comparing qualities from famous tests done on Babe Ruth compared to today's Albert Pujolz and other players. One of the tests was an extremely innovative, unique eye exam to test cognition, reaction speed, depth perception developed by one very talented OPTOMETRIST. His entire practice now consists of performing these tests for high paying sports clients.

Does anyone know of pods who do something like this? i.e. perhaps a pod who is known for Biomechanics who runs a practice based around dianostics for athletes? Or a pod who is so good at a particular surgery that that is all the do?

I know, weird question, and awkwardly phrased. Just contribute your two cents, or however much you like.:)

Just with many medical specialties, you will see that with podiatry, it is rare to see a doc who is a 10/10 on Every clinical aspect of their practice - so over time, they become further "specialized" or distinctive in one or a few aspects of their clinical skills - i.e. yes, you will have podiatrists who are excellent in the field of biomechanics - and you will see podiatrists, who almost exculsively work with sports injuries, and those who do surgery.

However, to get to that level of specialization - it takes years of practice. I doubt you will see the majority of your recently graduated practitioners attempting to specialize that early of the game because simply it will be suicidal if they do so for the following reasons:
1) You need to establish and demonstrate superiority in all clinical skills before further specialization.
2) As a new practitioner, you need to see as many patients as you can because you don't know the demographics of the patients walking to your door yet (i.e. diabetics, athletes, trauma, peds, etc) so you need to be competent in all clinical aspects.