Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxeye

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And now for part 22 ......

Members don't see this ad.

So how's A&P so far then, not too bad, it seems?

I'll be registering for it shortly...as soon as my dad's wire comes in. I don't think I'll be taking out more student loans, just ask him to pay tuition. It's pretty low around here, like $500 CAD per class, and one of mine is a retake (dropped it last year after getting too overwhelmed), so it's $150 less for that one.

But I can't wait to go full-time so I can send an update to my student loan companies and tell them I won't be paying **** for like 10 months.:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

OMG I freaking LOVE A&P. haha. It's not bad at all. That's a really good deal on classes. I'm at a private college and they charge an arm and a leg $290/hr. BUT my four years undergrad were paid for, so i guess I can't complain that i'm paying for one year..

OMG I freaking LOVE A&P. haha. It's not bad at all. That's a really good deal on classes. I'm at a private college and they charge an arm and a leg $290/hr. BUT my four years undergrad were paid for, so i guess I can't complain that i'm paying for one year..
$290 for a credit hour, you mean?

My undergrad charged $750 per credit hour.:laugh: I had a 40% or so scholarship though, so that brought it down to about $400-450.

That's why I graduated first and THEN went on to finish my premed coursework - I HAD to graduate in 4 years, because otherwise I'd lose my scholarship and tuition would spin out of control. Now I can get 4 classes here for the price of 1 back home.:hardy:

$290 for a credit hour, you mean?

My undergrad charged $750 per credit hour.:laugh: I had a 40% or so scholarship though, so that brought it down to about $400-450.

That's why I graduated first and THEN went on to finish my premed coursework - I HAD to graduate in 4 years, because otherwise I'd lose my scholarship and tuition would spin out of control. Now I can get 4 classes here for the price of 1 back home.:hardy:

yeah, credit hour :laugh::laugh:. Another reason why i'm doing a few of these classes online and/or at the local junior college. Taking the upper levels at the university so the adcoms will know i'm capable, but being as non-stuped (monetarily) as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had burnt chicken wings....:thumbdown: left them on the grill for too long. Oh well, it wasn't really dinner, anyway, a late lunch at 4 PM. Dinner will be closer to 9 or so.

Sad :( Wings are the best. Although I prefer boneless wings (which usually aren't really wings at all, but lovely chunks of white breast meat)... less messy.

Back in the computer lab with my orgo stuff....argh. Oh well, at least I've got a can of ice cold Diet Pepsi to console me.:smuggrin:

6 reports all done (just waiting to hear back from my instructor about some minor things), and the other 3 are halfway done, so things are looking good.

go watch knocked up
it was a pretty funny movie i must say
Yeah, I've been hearing good reviews. Though I have to say I'm not 100% comfortable with the subject matter. Maybe it's because I know what happens in real life when a woman gets pregnant from a one night stand.

Hey guys, quick question - how in the word can you get an optical rotation that's 469? That's what my reference source is giving me for usnic acid.:eek: BTW, my experimentally determined rotation is like 10, lol.:confused:

you know what the best drink to have when you're studying is?

...cherry coke mmm. :p
I actually don't like cherry-flavored drinks. And I'm more of a Pepsi person than Coke, though I do alternate them on occasion. The other one I like is diet Root Beer and diet Dr Pepper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, quick question - how in the word can you get an optical rotation that's 469? That's what my reference source is giving me for usnic acid.:eek: BTW, my experimentally determined rotation is like 10, lol.:confused:
Nevermind. Was having another one of my Einstein moments.:rolleyes:

I have no idea. You should ask a physics person. :rolleyes:

I was so excited that we got 98.6% optically pure usnic acid according to our results when I realized our instructor told us we'd just be measuring on a pure sample prepared in advance. So much for thinking I'm a lab god who can purify a compound to 98.6% with 20-year old equipment.:rolleyes: :hardy:

just subtract 360 from your result.

1 more lab report down, 2 to finish! :horns:

Go you. Just got the syllabus for my Inorg II class. 87% and up is an A. Woohoo! VERY excited about that.

Also, there's about.. 6 chapters we're covering that I haven't read yet. Sigh. Going to read at least the first few before class starts. Think I can start at midnight. God I'm a nerd.

Go you. Just got the syllabus for my Inorg II class. 87% and up is an A. Woohoo! VERY excited about that.

Also, there's about.. 6 chapters we're covering that I haven't read yet. Sigh. Going to read at least the first few before class starts. Think I can start at midnight. God I'm a nerd.
Is it inorganic as in inorganic or as in general chem? I've never taken inorganic, but I took gen chem I - taking II this fall.

Is it inorganic as in inorganic or as in general chem? I've never taken inorganic, but I took gen chem I - taking II this fall.
inorganic is supposedly a pretty hard chem course but I wouldnt know

That's what I hear. Apparently, it's all transition metal stuff. My father specialized in physics of transition metals when getting his Physics PhD.:scared:

It depends on how math-phobic you are. If you are good at math, it's fine. Ditto for p. chem. I didn't understand a thing, but I did mad work acing the tests because I could set up the matrices and solve for the eigenvalues.

I suffered through one semester of inorganic (boring) so that I could take a semester of bioinorganic. That covers how your body uses transition metals. It was awesome, worth taking the semester of inorganic.

Lab report 8 down! :horns: Just have #9 to finish now, it's halfway done already.:smuggrin: Hopefully my tutor gets back to me by 3 PM tomorrow in regards to these tables I asked her about....otherwise, I guess I could submit w/o them - doubt they are worth more than 1 point out of 10-15. It looks like I'm being asked to enter the same info 2x, and I don't want to, and when I asked her if I had to do it, she gave me a really vague answer.:confused: So I had to e-mail her back and ask to clarify, lol.

It depends on how math-phobic you are. If you are good at math, it's fine. Ditto for p. chem. I didn't understand a thing, but I did mad work acing the tests because I could set up the matrices and solve for the eigenvalues.

I suffered through one semester of inorganic (boring) so that I could take a semester of bioinorganic. That covers how your body uses transition metals. It was awesome, worth taking the semester of inorganic.
I was almost a chem major. Very close to it. The thing that led me away were long lab requirements. I figured I'll be in labs in med school so I did something else. :oops:

I was almost a chem major. Very close to it. The thing that led me away were long lab requirements. I figured I'll be in labs in med school so I did something else. :oops:
There's not much time in lab in med school, except anatomy of course. Bet most of us wish we could spend some time in pharm lab. ;)

So you guys didn't answer my question.

There's not much time in lab in med school, except anatomy of course. Bet most of us wish we could spend some time in pharm lab. ;)

So you guys didn't answer my question.
what do you want to know about me?

Name, rank, serial number. And how you came to be posting in the random thread.

Meg, MS(-1) hehe, mdapps#6805. That was the closest thing to a "rank" and "serial number" I could come up with on this lovely sunday evening.

Wy am I here? I honestly don't know, I just know that talking just about MCAT 24-7 is a little boring, so I like to have some non-MCAT moments.
:laugh::laugh:

Lab report 8 down! :horns: Just have #9 to finish now, it's halfway done already.:smuggrin: Hopefully my tutor gets back to me by 3 PM tomorrow in regards to these tables I asked her about....otherwise, I guess I could submit w/o them - doubt they are worth more than 1 point out of 10-15. It looks like I'm being asked to enter the same info 2x, and I don't want to, and when I asked her if I had to do it, she gave me a really vague answer.:confused: So I had to e-mail her back and ask to clarify, lol.

yay! That's happy! :):):)

looks like some good recruits, Q.

Meg, MS(-1) hehe, mdapps#6805. That was the closest thing to a "rank" and "serial number" I could come up with on this lovely sunday evening.

Wy am I here? I honestly don't know, I just know that talking just about MCAT 24-7 is a little boring, so I like to have some non-MCAT moments.
:laugh::laugh:

Well thought out and honest. :thumbup:

I wanted to get my post count up. It worked so far. :)

Honest. :thumbup:

I majored in Post-Wh0ring in undergrad, wanted to make sure my skills stayed up to date.:smuggrin:

Random :thumbup:

Ok, I'm realizing that I don't know like half the people who are posting in here. Introduce yourselves!!!

not nice to not introduce yourself in return Q.

People, this is Q. She is an MS1 and chemistry superfreak PhD. She is an mcat mod and very smart, on paper at least. Watch her, shes weird.

I think that somes it up nicely. :laugh::smuggrin: :p

People, this is Q. She is an MS1 and chemistry superfreak PhD. She is an mcat mod and very smart, on paper at least. Watch her, shes weird.

Arsenic - did I tell you that your last blog entry was really hilarious. :thumbup:

Ahem. That's MS2 now. :D

I was busy investigating.

I can't believe we got ANOTHER Meg!!! :laugh: That's, like, what, four of them now? I swear, A-man, we're just collecting them like crazy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.