Random non-pathology and only peripherally related to pathology thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have begun to pity the poor lurkers and new visitors to this forum, as they are looking for interesting discussion and advice, and find Michelle Pfieffer in a thread about trends in pathology. Then the Stay Puft marshmallow man shows up in another. And then on another Turd and I are discussing how best to get drunk in Ann Arbor.

So perhaps we should have a thread to discuss random topics so that we can be even sillier.

I'm sure it won't work. I can't help myself, I know. It's not like I could have started a new thread about twinkies, after all.

OW! Darnit I just stubbed my toe! I managed to do that despite being seated at a computer. Consarnit! (this is the stream-of-consciousness, Ode to Tristam Shandy section of the post) I hate when I stub my toe. For it is in the stubbing of the toe (My ode to Hemingway) that I am reminded of a terrible accident with a treadmill when I was 16, back in a dusty, backwater Maine woods town where the people are friendly, yet are all hiding from terrible fears, the fears of the new sinister man with the long nose that moved into the old Fletcher place and is only seen at night when he is seen tempting the local children with offers of twinkies and Nilla wafers (my ode to Steven King).

So my random question tonight has to do with Cheese Curls. Why are they so good? There is this company in Grand Rapids (MI) called Cheese Kurls or something like that and they make FANTASTIC cheese curls. Kind of like Cheetos but even tastier, in a bigger bag, and without the symbol of modern fascism that is that cheetah. Your hands still get all corroded with orange stuff though. That's my only problem with cheese curls.

Other good snack foods: Peanuts (preferably honey roasted), Kudos granola bars, and Pepperidge Farm (Pepperidge Faahm remembahs... ((I think I'm the only person reading this who has any clue what that italicized little bit refers to))) - wow - look at all the parentheses! - cookies, preferably double chocolate milanos.

Bad snack foods: Melba Toast, triscuits, Celery sticks, and coffee-flavored ice cream.

On another interesting note - I had a contest with another chem major in college over who could fit the most Nilla Wafers in their mouth. I won. I think I got 16, but my mouth was dry for about a week.

In case you're wondering, no, I'm not drunk. And I don't do any drugs. I do, however, obviously need a girlfriend. Anyone know if Michelle Pfeiffer is available?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Should countdowns be pushed to this thread then instead of the "five days left" thread?

2. The silly posts in other pathology threads gives people an indication as to the personalities going into pathology. For example, pathologists don't look at microscopes all day. They are also talented in stuffing xx number of wafers in their mouths and then washing it down by pounding massive amounts of alcohol.

3. I suppose cheesy 80's music discussions can be moved to this thread (if further conversations on this topic continue).

4. My name is now Andy, and not a lump of sh1t unless by some miracle my Turd account is reactivated :) If Andy is too simple, feel free to call me HotCarl.

5. The Japanese guy who invented Sake deserves the Nobel Prize.

6. I jammed my hand after driving my fist into my desk after losing a close game of Warcraft. It hurts. I need Sake to quell the pain.

7. Yeah I want some cheesy poofs!

8. Coffee ice cream rocks. But eating too much will make you fatter.

9. Yaah would like you to believe that he is not drunk. Veritas vos liberabit.

10. Somebody please find yaah a girlfriend. The world will be a better place.

11. Andy is drunk and likes to refer to himself in the 3rd person when he is.

12. I forgot to mention, having this thread is a great idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
First: what year are we in?? My neighbors are away (sans two twenty-something sons), and the "kids" decided to have a little party in their backyard(is that 2 words? Perhaps the spelling police from the other thread can help out... ;) ) with a couple of friends. The one guy had the back of his Jeep Cherokee open blaring out some live Led Zeppelin. I like Led Zeppelin, although I haven't listened to them in years...anyhoots, I walked out in my backyard, and got a very strong whiff of pot! How funny is that? Are we still in the 70's or what??

Second: went to a Wedding Reception last night for someone I didn't know! Among those sitting at my table was my partner's boss, whom I sat next to. Well, it seems that after the wedding ceremony (which we did not attend), the "boss" and another co-worker had themselves a couple bottles of Riesling. Needless to say, she was WASTED! Her husband wasn't too pleased, though. She said something to the effect of: "Well, there goes my liver!" To which I replied: "Well, that's job security for me!" So, I guess that has some connection to Pathology! On a side note, there were some atrocious songs at this wedding--some okay 70's stuff, followed by country (make it stop!); we left when they played Sir Mix-a-lot! YUK!

You don't have to stop saying random things in other threads though Andy...

Brian that party reminds me of Sixteen Candles for some reason. A lot of those movies in the 80's always seemed to have at least one scene where someone (the main character or whoever) threw a party while the parents were away and random people end up passed out underneath the glass coffee table. Did those kids think their parents aren't going to find out? Unlikely. I'm sure the couple of football jocks that someone invited (or just randomly showed up because obviously everyone loves to hang around with football jocks) had a couple of beer chugging contests and either one of them got sick or one of them decided to spray some beer around the room because that is just so awesome!.

Speaking of cheesy 80's music: The Eurythmics.
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas--
Everybody's looking for something.
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.

(Hold your head up--Movin on...
Keep your head up--MOVIN' ON)

I am watching the The Open (aka the British Open) today and the sand traps look like terrible massachusetts side street potholes. I hope Colin Montgomerie wins. I'm tired of the cookie cutter American golfer who cares for sponsor above all else.

Crepitus Fremitus said:
*What is srrrg path?

That was excellent. Almost sounds like a 'Behind the Music' episode.

And that was when everything began to go downhill. A continuous spiral of drugs and decadence that eventually led to isolation. Many began to notice problems when the standard 10:1 formalin to tissue mix began to decrease, yet the formalin still needed to be reordered at the same rate. The autopsy suite became corroded, messy, and crawling with mutant rats. Instead of a place of respite with respect for the newly deceased, it became a den of horrors where the living outnumbered the dead, and where the legends began to grow of mysterious rituals that no one totally understood...

By the way, I know this doesn't have any relevance, but I don't like NASCAR. I think it is a waste of our natural fossil fuels. I also think it is silly and dangerous. And just because something is dangerous does not necessarily make it cool. In fact, sometimes when things are dangerous the best thing to do is stop them. Besides, these drivers make way too much money when the people who should get all the credit are the mechanics and the engineers responsible for the car. YeeeHA! I gonna git me sum o' those Dale Junior mudflaps and put 'em on the back o' m' Chevy!

Happy, happy, good times, fun....... and things went horribly wrong (fade to black, commercial break).

I love E.

Almost as much as I loved the "srrrg path" rant. Now I know where I belong.

P

I don't like the E network - it perpetuates the rampant impression in society that celebrities are our superiors, and that they are smarter, more attractice, and more successful. And that they are all of these things because they work harder. My foot they work harder. They are idiots. There is the occasional smart celebrity, but basically I believe they get where they are because of a combination of luck, looks, and who they know. Then they suffer one or more of the common celebrity misfortunes which include 1) drug addiction; 2) divorce; 3) Injury through dangerous behavior i.e. speeding or playing with fire; 4) Someone in their family dies; 5) Their dog dies; 6) They get a basal cell cancer on the cheek; or 7) Some tabloid says something totally true about them but that they don't like. When they do suffer this way, the "comeback" is presented as something awe-inspiring, akin to Nelson Mandela leaving prison or Neil Armstrong on the moon. OMG! Matthew Perry defeated his addiction to smack! (for the 8th time...) He is my hero! I wish I had his strength! It makes me appreciate his "art" all the more!

And when I think that most actors become well known simply for playing characters that are a lot like them it makes me irritated. Like Sharon Stone "stretching" herself to play the role of an evil icepick wielding witch. Yeah, I bet that was tough. Probably had to prepare for that one...

People magazine is worse though. One of the funniest things to do is to read the "Letters to the editor" section in People. They take things so personal! People will write in to criticize ANOTHER LETTER WRITER for writing in to suggest that Oprah might have an advantage over the normal population in losing weight because she has her own chef, personal trainer, can make her own schedule, has unlimited money, etc. "How dare you criticize Oprah! She has struggled all of her life with her weight and she is an inspiration to all of us out there who deal with the stigma of being overweight day in and day out! She is a hero and role model for all of us because she is a real person with problems like the rest of us!" Yeah right. Real problems. Hmmmm....let's see, where do I put that 5th grand piano? Should I go to Tahiti or Bali this weekend?

I don't disagree that E and People highlight some of the less attractive aspects of our country (human nature?). However, as I'm a dyed in the wool, optimistic cynic (or cynical optimist??), I find peeking in to be a real hoot. Of course, I also consider Kierkegaard to be uplifting - my day seems pretty good by comparison. ;)

P

Perhaps "happy cynic" is a better description, actually.

Anyhoots, the film crew is here for my "True Hollywood Story." Gotta run.

P

Happy cynics are the best kind. I continue to maintain that it is good for one's health to maintain a pessimistic view about the world. Of course, not to be unpleasant or nasty about it, just to realize that there are way too many things in the world that make you shake your head. Of course, you also have to be willing to laugh about it. It's all a fine balance.

Baseball is interesting tonight. Cubs and Cardinals benches just emptied because Jim Edmonds hit a home run out of Wrigley (onto the street past right center - a titanic blast) and watched it for a bit. The pitcher took exception, and the catcher took exception, despite the fact that they drilled Edmonds on purpose the first time he batted. Ah, the pleasure of being an impassioned observer. I can't watch the red sox very much out here so I have to watch other baseball, and I just thank heavens when the game does not include any of the following:

Yankees
Mets (A DREADFULLY boring team)
Braves (I really don't like that TBS announcer's nasally voice, plus the fact that he calls all the players by their first name. Chipper did this. Andruw did that. Rafael did this. AAAAAAAAH)
Baltimore (Just an unexciting team)

I also thank heavens when the show women's softball. Aaaahhh....Jennie Finch.

jkoehler said:
El Birdos reign.

Maybe I should become a Cardinals fan. I am very happy I did not have access to last night's red sox game (in which they were up 4-2 in the bottom of the 9th before the closer gave up 2 straight solo HRs, then they lost in 11 on a grand slam).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

Derek Lowe pitches today. ****burgers. Meltdown beginning in 3...2....1....

By the way, what's the deal with sushi? People actually like this stuff? I mean, actually like it? Seriously, you're not just saying you like it because it's trendy, right? You enjoy the flavor?

No one responded to my NASCAR diatribe. Or Jennie Finch. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an angry cynic during 3rd year med school. Now that the worst year of my life is behind me, I am now a happy cynic. My friends and I laugh when we talk about the crap we had to deal with during M3 year.

NASCAR...a lot of friends I know are into it not because they like cars going around a circle really fast but to see crashes. Sadistic ain't it?

Sushi...great taste, less filling.

I love E only because it exposes the shallow nature of the celebrity life.
- Hi I'm Anna Nicole Smith. I used to weight 600 lbs but now I weigh 300. I just ate a popsicle! Yay!
- Hi I'm Gary Coleman. You may remember me from Different Strokes. Yes I'm still short but I went out on a blind date. It didn't work out. Waah!
- Hi my name is Dr. Ray. I'm a plastic surgeon who does boob jobs and face lifts. I like Tae Kwon Do. All of you should care because I'm so special.
However, nothing best portrays the "less attractive" aspects of society than those damn cheap talk shows (Maury, Jerry, etc.).

So I'm on call last night. It was hoppin...pretty busy night and me, the intern, and the senior got served. Of course, we were entertained by FoleyMan. FoleyMan is an elderly, former superhero, who was seen walking naked in the CCU with his foley and peepeebag still attached. That's gotta hurt. But then he was delirious. Then there were rounds this morning and news of this got out. The attending tells me, "you're not gonna be seeing this in pathology." I answer, "guess not. now i'm more convinced of going into pathology. seeing foleyman has warped my fragile little mind."

Oprah Phricking Winfrey - oh my god. I cannot stand this woman. She's fat, she's thin, she's fat, she's thin, she's fat, she's thin,...just pick a body and stick with it (I loved that bit on her in Saturday Night Live many years ago).

Peace y'all. Stay strong yaah, Jennie Finch loves you too. Naptime.

Been a Cards fan since '67 when they beat Yaz and gang. Not much of an AL fan, but would love to see the Red Sox beat the Yankees this year-or any year, just once.
Have a friend who is a Chowderhead-it is eerie watching the way the Sox lose sometimes. I think there is some serious psychopathology in their fans.

I too don't like the Yankees...it's just something about 'em...can't really place my finger on it...

BTW, I just caught glimpse on the SDN forum home that today is yaah's birthday. Happy B'day man. You better be drunk or getting drunk! :)

AndyMilonakis said:
I too don't like the Yankees...it's just something about 'em...can't really place my finger on it...

BTW, I just caught glimpse on the SDN forum home that today is yaah's birthday. Happy B'day man. You better be drunk or getting drunk! :)

Sorry, not tonight. I have a headache. Just kidding. No headache. Tonight was just lots of cheese kurls.

But yes, I share a famous birthday. First baseball game with paid admission. Sitting Bull surrenders. Attempted assassination of Hitler. Moon landing. Viking probes on mars. Kirk Cameron marries Chelsea Noble, 1991, breaking my heart.

yaah said:
Sorry, not tonight. I have a headache. Just kidding. No headache. Tonight was just lots of cheese kurls.

But yes, I share a famous birthday. First baseball game with paid admission. Sitting Bull surrenders. Attempted assassination of Hitler. Moon landing. Viking probes on mars. Kirk Cameron marries Chelsea Noble, 1991, breaking my heart.

I'm just playin...Tuesday is an odd night to go out on the town, especially during the summer in Ann Arbor. Most of the bars will be empty.

AndyMilonakis said:
I'm just playin...Tuesday is an odd night to go out on the town, especially during the summer in Ann Arbor. Most of the bars will be empty.

An empty bar! I'm there! Don't need none of those hot college honeys around messin' up my good time. The only one I've been to, apart from a couple of the downtown restaurants like brew house, etc, so far is Ashley's.

I guess the mongolian grill is where it's at.

Ashley's is great...huge selection of beer. When you say brew house, do you mean Ann Arbor Brewing Co? Anyways that place is a great place to hangout.

Never got into the whole Mongolian Grill thing. Some other places to check out are Mitch's (decent place to hang), Conor O'Neills, Scorekeepers.

Happy belated Birthday to our King, Dr. Yaah!

Hope it was a good one, brutha! :D

It was a silly birthday. 28. What's up with 28? Not much of a milestone. Just sounds old. At least I have a steady job now and am not in school though. However, I'm still having discussions about poop and Jennie Finch so I guess maturity is a late-onset trait in me.

By the way, I now hate the US postal service, at least temporarily. They left a notice in my mailbox that I had a package and they didn't know where to leave it, so they told me I could pick it up at the post office. Problem is, they told me the wrong post office. You'd think that wouldn't be hard. But, I guess there are challenges everywhere in life. No doubt it's something perishable.

yes...birthdays only remind me of how much older i am becoming (i'm only a few months behind you at 27 now). screw maturity...have fun!

birthdays are only excuses to go out with friends and get drunk and get free meals. my best birthday was my 21st cuz my gf at that time took me out to a very nice dinner and then we threw a pretty kickin party...alcoholism-wise it was anticlimactic since i had a fake ID before my 21st bday.

oh well, i hope you had at least some fun on yaah-day 2004.

Yaah day was fine. Yaah-day plus one is turning into a real ****burger. Pedro is ****ting the bed again. First 5 innings or so he was untouchable. Then the old Baltimore Orioles "bloops and bleeders and infield scratch hits" brigade went to work.

Meanwhile, red sox hit ropes at everyone. AT everyone.

Now it's 8-4, Pedro gave up all 8, and the immortal Ramiro Mendoza is in the game. Cue the Willie Nelson:

Turn out the lights the party's over
they say that all good things must end
Call it tonight the party's over
and tomorrow starts the same old thing again

The Orioles have an outfield of Bigbie, Matos, and Garcia. Sigh.

This, as I alluded to above, is why I HATE THE ORIOLES. They have no talent, no ability, don't hit the ball hard, don't pitch well, but yet the Red Sox can't do **** against them. Utter pain to watch. When I watch the Orioles (or the Mets) I understand why so many people don't like baseball.

So why can't the ****ing red sox beat them? The Sox are good, I know it! But they are so inconsistent. I swear to god the bad news bears could give the red sox a good game.

I went to a lot of Orioles games at Camden Yards when I was in college. But that was a long time ago and I haven't really been keeping up with them. All I know is that nothing has really changed as the O's still suck. How are they giving the Red Sox trouble? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not a passionate fan of the Orioles, but having grown up in Maryland and watching O's games, I've grown to really dislike the Yankees.

Have you gone to any Tigers games while you've been in Michigan? Besides the new Comerica park, Tigers games are nothing special.

How are they giving the red sox trouble? You've got me. That's my main question. Bloops and bleeders. The Red Sox have the tendency to play down to (or up to) the level of their opponent. Thus, playing the Yankees they often do well, but against teams they should sweep they meander through and end up losing half the time. I frankly don't care if they lose every game to the Yankees, the problem is they seem to focus on those games. One victory against Baltimore counts the same as one victory against the Yankees (although, you do get extra because the Yankees would lose, but it's the same general idea - in the long run it is YOUR record that matters). Thus, win 3/4 against subpar opposition, you have a good season.

I did go to Comerica for one game, it is a nice stadium. The atmosphere is not quite the same as Fenway however. They did have a good food selection I must say. Baseball is always great to go to. I don't care who is playing (unless it is the Orioles or the Mets). I could watch little league and enjoy myself.

yaah said:
How are they giving the red sox trouble? You've got me. That's my main question. Bloops and bleeders. The Red Sox have the tendency to play down to (or up to) the level of their opponent. Thus, playing the Yankees they often do well, but against teams they should sweep they meander through and end up losing half the time. I frankly don't care if they lose every game to the Yankees, the problem is they seem to focus on those games. One victory against Baltimore counts the same as one victory against the Yankees (although, you do get extra because the Yankees would lose, but it's the same general idea - in the long run it is YOUR record that matters). Thus, win 3/4 against subpar opposition, you have a good season.

I did go to Comerica for one game, it is a nice stadium. The atmosphere is not quite the same as Fenway however. They did have a good food selection I must say. Baseball is always great to go to. I don't care who is playing (unless it is the Orioles or the Mets). I could watch little league and enjoy myself.

I misinterpreted your earlier comment. I certainly wouldn't expect the O's to give the Red Sox trouble anyway. But I just checked the ESPN homepage and saw that the O's beat the Red Sox 8-3 (I suppose the O's got lucky). Not that I really care or anything cuz I don't really follow baseball much. But I do enjoy going to games and watching them. Especially with a nice cold beer in hand.

Hmm...I'll pass on little league too. BTW, what are your thoughts on little league softball...I only ask this given your previous Jennie Finch post ;) ;)

Just messin with ya.

AndyMilonakis said:
I misinterpreted your earlier comment. I certainly wouldn't expect the O's to give the Red Sox trouble anyway. But I just checked the ESPN homepage and saw that the O's beat the Red Sox 8-3 (I suppose the O's got lucky). Not that I really care or anything cuz I don't really follow baseball much. But I do enjoy going to games and watching them. Especially with a nice cold beer in hand.

Hmm...I'll pass on little league too. BTW, what are your thoughts on little league softball...I only ask this given your previous Jennie Finch post ;) ;)

Just messin with ya.

Actually, little league softball can be amusing. Not usually because of the game, but because of the peripherals. Parents getting upset, players crying when bad things happen. Teenage relatives of the players flirting in foul territory. Dogs taking big dumps and the owner not cleaning it up and people stepping in it.

Red Sox look like they will recover and win game 2 of the doubleheader tonight. As always, they continue to be mediocre. Probably will win tomorrow and lose the next day...I don't really know if the O's got lucky this afternoon, but I do know that the red sox started a rookie pitcher who, according to the "sons of sam horn" website, was getting squeezed by the ump.

yaah said:
Happy cynics are the best kind. I continue to maintain that it is good for one's health to maintain a pessimistic view about the world.

Pessimistic? Or merely realistic.
But I agree; we are probably saying the same thing, just different ways.
I like Shaw. He said that the power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.

- me.

deschutes said:
I like Shaw. He said that the power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.

- me.

Well, it's kinda like going to see a movie. If you go into it thinking it's gonna be an awesome movie, you could be disappointed if it doesn't live up to your expectations (kind of like Terminator 3 for me...I was so psyched to see it and then I left thinking that the $8 would have better off being given to a bum). Now, if you have no expectations or think the movie will suck, you could leave pretty satisfied after seeing it.

I believe that a certain amount of cynicism coupled with some optimism is very healthy. Some equate this with realism. Whatever...I just don't see how some people can go through life thinking that everything is just peachy. Some people just have that personality and they're happy people...more power to them. Others like to put on that kind of a facade. Those people aren't keeping it real...they're keeping it real dumb (quoting Chris Rock here).

deschutes said:

- me.
I like that quote too. realism=cynicism. I maintain an optimistic attitude but I know that the cynical viewpoint is often the correct, or most accurate, one.

"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows." -David Wolf.

Andy you didn't like T3? I thought the ending was kind of interesting. These stupid terminators have the wrong idea. They keep sending more high-tech terminators (AHnold followed by the morphing metal robert patrick followed by the super babe) to more technologically advanced times. Send the freaking woman back to when Linda Hamilton was a 5 year old and ambush her at kindergarten, for crying out loud. Terminator 1 would have ended very quickly if they sent the super babe back with just Michael Biehn trying to defend Linda Hamilton. No chance! Either that or send like 10 terminators so they will succeed. Or just send a freaking huge bomb and blow up wherever John Connor is. None of this trying to kill him by getting up close and sticking a metal prong through his chest. BLOW HIM UP! @#$!ing science fiction. @#$!ing future rulers of the world who are too stupid.

yaah said:
Andy you didn't like T3? I thought the ending was kind of interesting. These stupid terminators have the wrong idea. They keep sending more high-tech terminators (AHnold followed by the morphing metal robert patrick followed by the super babe) to more technologically advanced times. Send the freaking woman back to when Linda Hamilton was a 5 year old and ambush her at kindergarten, for crying out loud. Terminator 1 would have ended very quickly if they sent the super babe back with just Michael Biehn trying to defend Linda Hamilton. No chance! Either that or send like 10 terminators so they will succeed. Or just send a freaking huge bomb and blow up wherever John Connor is. None of this trying to kill him by getting up close and sticking a metal prong through his chest. BLOW HIM UP! @#$!ing science fiction. @#$!ing future rulers of the world who are too stupid.

I didn't like T3 as much as T1 or T2. I had very high expectations going into the movie though and I left disappointed. It was basically the same thing as T2...AHnold vs. more badass terminators, stuff blowing up, bodies flying, etc. The ending was quite interesting though. God I hope they don't make a T4.

AndyMilonakis said:
I didn't like T3 as much as T1 or T2. I had very high expectations going into the movie though and I left disappointed. It was basically the same thing as T2...AHnold vs. more badass terminators, stuff blowing up, bodies flying, etc. The ending was quite interesting though. God I hope they don't make a T4.

Did Cameron direct T3? I'm not sure if he did and don't want to go to IMDB.com today. Normally I would, that's the kind of guy I am. Would research my post thoroughly and not need to ask such a foolish question. Regardless,

Tool---------->
37376.jpg

He makes a pretty good movie though, I'll give him that. Aliens. The Abyss. T2.

You know, Rickey Williams retired from football today. He's like 8 months younger than me. And he's retiring to take a one way trip to Asia. I wish I could retire today with 8 figures in the bank. But then again, I don't do anything nearly as important as rushing up the middle for 3.5 yards per carry now, do I.

yaah said:
?Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.? -David Wolf.
I think the pragmatic idealist is ideal! :)

I've been looking through the smileys. Why does the fella turn green when he grins?

I wish they had a bouncing yellow smiley with a big grin like the kind you see on MSN. That's what's missing!

Well, this guy turns green when he valsalvas!
action-smiley-082.gif

More cute smilies:
smilie_zoom.gif
sport009.gif
huepfen024.gif
ernaehrung004.gif

I like this one:
waffen093.gif

Also appropriate:
action-smiley-045.gif

Even better:
action-smiley-055.gif

Here's one appropriate for clinical medicine:
action-smiley-073.gif

Or perhaps, fighting (and losing) the clinical medicine dragon:
action-smiley-074.gif

And here's how I feel most of the time:
laughing-smiley-011.gif

Nice yaah,

That middle finger one is gonna be me in 5 weeks when I finish the last day of inpatient medicine for the rest of my life.

Now, the icon next to your clinical medicine bit...are you the one doing the whipping (expressing your rage against clinical medicine) or are you the one getting whipped by clinical medicine? I personally feel a little bit of both.

Who ARE these losers at the "Democratic" "National" "Convention"???

People are actually dancing. (CSPAN shows non stop coverage including the pathetic musical and dancing acts). I just saw a cheesehead. People are wearing costumes, stupid hats, pins. Anytime someone mentions their state they cheer uncontrollably.

The only redeeming factors: Ossie Davis (great voice). Maya Angelou. Clinton's (the male Clinton) speech last night, the first time since about 1994 that I have actually been impressed by him. I still don't think that scandal was "just about sex" but I am willing to admit that he is a great politician.

How does one become a "delegate"? My guess: $$$. Or have some secret information on someone with $$$.

What actually are they deciding on? The nominee has been decided. The purpose of the convention used to be:
Day 1: Welcome and introductions
Day 2: Party Platform discussion and adoption
Day 3: Election of presidential candidate (which often took many votes and debate)
Day 4: Election of Vice Presidential candidate.

Now, it is
Days 1-4: Complete waste of time and resources by spending 4 days reiterating the same tired old talking points and trying not to offend anyone while at the same time attempting to convince people that are watching that your particular party of washington insiders, big money donors, and beholden to special interest groups is vastly superior to the other one. They are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on this "convention." And for what? To "nominate" John Kerry and John Edwards. This is something they could do with a phone call and a signature. Do you know how many schools, health care facilities, and foreign aid projects the "Democrats" could pay for with the money for this lovefest? They could use a couple of million dollars and buy a couple of ads that say the same thing: Bush is bad. Kerry is good. In one month we will see the opposite message with the same kowtowing to special interests and claiming to be the party of family values, morals, the truth, and whatever else there is.

I also wonder how many of the people in that convention hall are lying to themselves and will vote Republican in the next election. I bet there are more than you'd think. Same with the republican convention.

Gotta go! Maya Angelou is on.

Egad, I didn't think about hollowing out a book! Probably too afraid of the consequences. Think I just put the little transistor in my pants pocket, but I remember the earphone kept falling out of my ear-so far has technology advanced.
Remember thinking how invincible the Cards seemed in '67 then Gibby had his unbelievable season in '68 w/ 1.12 ERA and how crushed I was that the Tigers beat them, especially Fat Mickey Lolich taking Gibby in game 7. Still scarred.

Well, I have the 1986 red sox with Ken Coleman and Joe Castiglione. Ken Coleman had a great radio voice - I used to listen a lot when I went to bed. In those days we did not have cable (!?!?! no cable?!?!?!) Yup. No cable TV. So most of the red sox games were broadcast over the air, but a good portion were on NESN (the local cable sports channel) and so had to make do with the radio. Now, of course, it would just be going to espn.com and watching a pitch by pitch summary. I love baseball on the radio though. Whenever I make long drives I always search for baseball games over the air. Have heard KMOX on many occasions driving between minnesota and massachusetts or michigan and massachusetts.

I still remember that bottom of the tenth inning, game 6, 1986 series. 2 run lead for the sox after Hendu's 2 run homer in the top. Backman and Keith Hernandez make easy outs. Carter singles. Mitchell singles. (or was it mitchell, then carter?) Ray Knight singles. Schiraldi is out. Bring in the Steamer (Bob Stanley). Red Sox nation groans. Steamer throws a wild pitch to Mookie, Mitchell scores, Knight to second. And then...my only consolation is that it was the great Vin Scully broadcasting the game and not some annoying person. Little roller...BEHIND THE BAG!... Sigh.

Cue Wade Boggs crying in the dugout. Cue me and my little ten year old mind figuring out what it meant to be a red sox fan.

Did anyone else think The Karate Kid was a great movie? I have so many memories fixed in my brain from that movie. Things that I will still be remembering when I have advanced Alzheimers and can't even say my name anymore.

The bonsai trees, the evil Sensai, young Elizabeth Shue :love: , Miyagi's great vintage car collection ("Choose"), Sand the floor, wax on wax off, Daniel getting beat up again and again and trying to hide it from his mother, the fact that a stupid valley karate tournament seemed to draw a bigger crowd than the average pro soccer match, the fact that Sensai was so smug even though he was teaching karate to loser high school kids for a career, the fact that the cool kids at the high school did karate instead of football. So many memories.

Then they had to go and **** it up with Karate Kid II. What happened to Elizabeth Shue? Did they ever explain it? And why do these people hate Miyagi so much? I never bought their explanation. And was the final battle really going to be a fight to the death? The only redeeming factor of KK II was that my mother bought me one of those little drums that you spin around.

yaah said:
Did anyone else think The Karate Kid was a great movie? I have so many memories fixed in my brain from that movie. Things that I will still be remembering when I have advanced Alzheimers and can't even say my name anymore.

The bonsai trees, the evil Sensai, young Elizabeth Shue :love: , Miyagi's great vintage car collection ("Choose"), Sand the floor, wax on wax off, Daniel getting beat up again and again and trying to hide it from his mother, the fact that a stupid valley karate tournament seemed to draw a bigger crowd than the average pro soccer match, the fact that Sensai was so smug even though he was teaching karate to loser high school kids for a career, the fact that the cool kids at the high school did karate instead of football. So many memories.

Then they had to go and **** it up with Karate Kid II. What happened to Elizabeth Shue? Did they ever explain it? And why do these people hate Miyagi so much? I never bought their explanation. And was the final battle really going to be a fight to the death? The only redeeming factor of KK II was that my mother bought me one of those little drums that you spin around.

As cheesy as it may seem to some people, I loved The Karate Kid.
When I was much younger, it inspired me to join Karate classes at my local elementary school on Wednesday nights. I was determined to get that Yellow Belt...and damnit after a lot of hard work and determination I got it!

Of course, in that movie, you only realized it was Elizabeth Shue when you watched it when you were much older. It's kinda like, "That kinda looks...like...uh...Elizabeth Shue...holy crap...it IS Elizabeth Shue!" Hot Damn!

And Karate Kid II sucked (kinda how like Terminator 3 was a letdown after the first 2 Terminators...yes I'm still disappointed by this and I must revisit this issue). Related but tangential story...when I was on my cardiology rotation last summer, I was seeing a patient with a cardiology fellow. The cardiology fellow had an MD. He was really smart. Anyways, the patient says, "You know who you look like? ... You look like that bad guy from Karate Kid 2." And the thing was...it was so true.

Awesome - it would be even more awesome if it turned out he actually WAS the evil guy from the Karate Kid. Maybe you could have tested him with those 7 blocks of ice.

Anyone see Kerry's speech last night? The highlight of the night, if not the year in political news was CNN picking up the audio feed from the guy who was running the convention and coordinating the balloon drop.

Summary:
Ok, let the balloons go. (5-6 balloons fall)
Why aren't the balloons falling?
OK guys, release all the balloons now.
Release the confetti (Balloons and confetti continue to slowly trickle)
What's happening? Where are my balloons?
Where the hell are the balloons?
Come on, guys! Release ALL the balloons! (still trickling)
What the hell is happening?
What the **** (f-bomb) are you guys doing?
----CNN cuts feed

5 minutes later they show the roof of the arena and there are still thousands of balloons.

:clap: :clap:

I love **** like that. They spent hours filling those balloons and packing them up in the ceiling so they could release them all at once, and then the mechanism doesn't work or something.

If you don't play along on my random thread, I am going to keep going, you know.

Today I am not happy with the red sox. Today's trade: Nomar + very good prospect + $$$$$$$$ in return for a good-field, no hit SS and a good field, no hit 1B.

What the red sox need: Pitching and someone who hits in the clutch. What they do not need is another first baseman or a weak hitting infielder. Maybe I will be proven wrong and they will both hit.

Nomar, well...He has sit out an awful lot. Recovering from an injury. He has been complaining and pouting the entire year since the sox tried to acquire A Rod over the winter and has been letting it effect him and the team. He was not coming back next year, so I guess it's good to get something for him. But they are a contending team this year, and Nomar is a good player who is getting healthier. I would like to have him around if they are going to contend. Oh well. They lost again tonight because of pitching and lack of clutch hitting.

If you hate baseball, well, then you are not a real american. And if you like baseball and also like the yankees, well, you are a fascist.

Ah yes, the randomness of life, the very randomness that prevented me from cavorting on-line with my pathology cohorts for the past six weeks. How my heart ached for you all!

Part of the reason I've been conspicuously absent was that I bought a condo. This was my first real estate purchase; the reams of duplicated papers both disgusted and overwhelmed me. The complex is nice. 15 units. Two little old ladies, the rest all those of the homo persuasion. Evidently they all thought I liked p*ssy too until someone spied a man leaving my place. The scandal! The complex is located behind the parking garage of the hospital whose path program I plan to enter next summer. Yes, I am optimistic. It would have been 100% certain, but then one night after too many sake bombers I hooked up with the senior resident who had massive girlfriend guilt afterward. I'm cool, but he's acting weird, because I think that he thinks I want to trap him in some kind of relationship or something. I'm like, we're not eighteen, really. Did I mention I'm seeing someone anyway? I figure the whole episode will have sufficient time to blow over before my application arrives on the program director's desk. I'm sure he knows about it by now anyway, I'm sure they all do, because it is a very incestuous group. Obviously. Anyway, my new complex seemed like a quiet place. Within the first couple of weeks, my boyfriend's 1991 Honda Civic hatchback with the cracked radiator was stolen from in front. As an aside, that SOB still has not replaced said car (read: freeloading rides off too-generous friends [and me]). He's got the money. He's got the means. Get off yer friggin ass and go buy a car. I just don't understand the hangup. I guess having no car means that you save on gas and you're never the designated-D. In fact he's probably half a dozen rounds into the 2-for-1 special at the titty bar already tonight. All it means to me is that if I actually want to get some, I have to get up and drive somewhere. This is not acceptable. It should arrive on my doorstep within twenty minute of when I ask, smelling nice, like delivered Kung-Pao shrimp and crab puffs from Big Wong's up the street. Mmmm. Kung Pao shrimp. As much as I hate PF Chang's, their kung pao shrimp is really really really good. I think it's because they fry up the shrimp all nice and crunchy before slappin' the sauce on. And everything is better when it's fried. I just love orange chicken, the spicy kind with the chilis floating in it. But that too is another dish where sometimes it's sauteed (bad) and sometimes it's fried (good). Where's the continuity, people? Why are people so unreliable? I spent a load of cash on this really spiffy sterling necklace on eBay last week. The fact the seller was located in Hong Kong should have been a fact I took more seriously. The necklace arrived and hell yeah it looked great. Until I picked it up. It's steel. Sterling my ass. I lost it. Scathing emails. I filed a fraud notice with eBay. It took a couple days and a lot of drama, but I got the entire wad refunded, PLUS the seventeen bucks it took to send the stupid thing back to Hong Kong. By this time eBay had taken notice of my fraud complaint and started cockblocking all his sales, like they do to fake Louis Vuitton and Prada handbags. Wheee!

This is the random forum, I hope.

cookypuss3 said:
This is the random forum, I hope.

:love: :love: :love: Don't let the man hold you down (I mean the internet behemoth called ebay man).

So, which one is the boyfriend and which one is the SOB? One and the same? :confused: I would not treat you so. And my car is a substantial upgrade over a honda civic... Better seen in German.

Congratulations on your condo purchase, I have the same. I am surrounded by apparently single middle aged women but alas very few look like Michelle Pfeiffer. :( There are also lots of scientician-types whose idea of fun apparently is to walk the dog down to the pond to go look at the geese and dodge the shrapnel (aka poo, in another appearance by poo) they leave behind.

Long live randomness - like the patterns in a single snowflake falling from the soft gray sky on a windless january morn and alighting on my arm. Like the trials and tribulations of Daniel-San as he fought to gain respect from his peers while the gentlemen of the Kobra-Kai selected him as their designated target and whipping boy. But Daniel-San would have none of it. Sure, it took him about a year to ask Elizabeth Shue out, even when she took the patently obvious move of stepping inside his shower costume at the dance. I caught some of that movie when I got home last night, that Elizabeth Shue was @#$!ing hot.

Hmph! I wish my means of transportation were as chi-chi. I mean, I'm not in the 1991 Honda Civic Range or anything, but still. My dream car is a mid 1990s Range Rover Defender with a soft top. Ahhh. Maybe someday.

How does one go about getting a cat to stop chewing on all the little cords coming out of the back of the computer? Smacking her ass and yelling NO NO NO doesn't work.

yaah said:
If you don't play along on my random thread, I am going to keep going, you know.

Today I am not happy with the red sox. Today's trade: Nomar + very good prospect + $$$$$$$$ in return for a good-field, no hit SS and a good field, no hit 1B.

What the red sox need: Pitching and someone who hits in the clutch. What they do not need is another first baseman or a weak hitting infielder. Maybe I will be proven wrong and they will both hit.

Nomar, well...He has sit out an awful lot. Recovering from an injury. He has been complaining and pouting the entire year since the sox tried to acquire A Rod over the winter and has been letting it effect him and the team. He was not coming back next year, so I guess it's good to get something for him. But they are a contending team this year, and Nomar is a good player who is getting healthier. I would like to have him around if they are going to contend. Oh well. They lost again tonight because of pitching and lack of clutch hitting.

If you hate baseball, well, then you are not a real american. And if you like baseball and also like the yankees, well, you are a fascist.

angry yaah is entertaining.

yeah wtf is up with nomar?

yaah said:
I am surrounded by apparently single middle aged women but alas very few look like Michelle Pfeiffer. :(

Yes yes! Welcome to Michigan yaah! 3rd fattest state in the nation.

AndyMilonakis said:
angry yaah is entertaining.

yeah wtf is up with nomar?

Well at least I can be useful to someone when I'm angry. Here is my afternoon:

One window has ESPN gameday of Red Sox-Twins
One window has Red Sox fan message board (Pedro rules...(then pedro gives up a double)...Way to suck, Pedro!....(Pedro strikes out next guy)....Pedro is back baby! This is our game!....(Pedro gives up homerun)....This sucks, Pedro is officially over the hill.
One window has word racer.
Then periodically I check other websites like this one.

I was supposed to play golf today but I guess other folks decided not to, so instead of going by myself I am doing nothing.

The only way to get a cat to stop chewing on wires is to somehow make it distasteful, or via classical conditioning, which sounds like it doesn't work, as perhaps your kitty happens to like being smacked in the ass and yelled at. Perhaps cats can be masochists as well:
action-smiley-073.gif
action-smiley-077.gif
Yeah! Give it to me!

Frankly I have never understood the "art" of masochism. Personally, I tend to enjoy pleasurable sensations. If I perchance have to go through momentary pain and suffering in order to gain a pleasurable sensation, I should choose not to. Endorphin can also be obtained without painful means.
action-smiley-073.gif
Ouch! Ouch! Stop...actually...don't stop...I'm starting to enjoy this.
confused-smiley-017.gif

Perhaps some people actually do enjoy being trussed up, placed in a rusty metal box, and having that box dumped onto a very steep and rocky hill which at the bottom sits a woman with a studded leather suit, spiked necklace, and a searing hot poker who then proceeds to open the metal box, burn the trusses off with the poker, blindfold you, and then lead you to a bed of nails where she will ride you until you say "no more," all the time telling you how inferior, inadequate, and ugly you are.
devil-smiley-104.gif

I choose soft and fluffy without weaponry. But that's just me.
love-smiley-087.gif
love-smiley-013.gif

p.s. Andy I was told Michigan is now the fattest state.
food-smiley-012.gif