Random question: accidental acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has a med school ever accidentally accepted an applicant and then had to say "jk that was a mistake?"

Members don't see this ad.

Well there's been incidents of over-acceptance. Schools typically find ways to rectify this by offering scholarships to those willing to defer. Idk about accidental acceptance though...too many eyes on your app for that to actually occur.

I could be wrong. Maybe some of our distinguished members like @Goro might know about this

I seem to recall a school that did this a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, they accidentally sent out several acceptance emails by mistake. I don't remember the details though. Hopefully someone else in here remembers.

Members don't see this ad :)
This happened to a friend of mine at a DO school last month. She first received an acceptance email that was later followed by an "oops you're actually on the alternate list" email. Not cool.

It's unfortunate but it happens. Hopkins did this with over 300 undergrad applicants a couple years ago, as did Carnegie Mellon. As @Toutie said I remember reading that happening too in one of the school specific threads.

They usually catch it pretty quickly though, so if you're wondering if your latest acceptance email was done by mistake it most likely was not.

Reactions: 1 user
USU essentially did this last year. Not a fun experience in February with no acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard of it happening here on the pages of SDN.

Well there's been incidents of over-acceptance. Schools typically find ways to rectify this by offering scholarships to those willing to defer. Idk about accidental acceptance though...too many eyes on your app for that to actually occur.

I could be wrong. Maybe some of our distinguished members like @Goro might know about this

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of it happening here on the pages of SDN.
I feel like retracting an acceptance for med school would be so cruel unless the applicant did something terrible. that's a pretty big mistake for an admissions office to make.

I got an accidental rejection, with a quick follow up email apologizing and inviting me to interview. I didn't mind at all!

Reactions: 1 users