Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who was complaining about their 2000 piece puzzle? This was only 1000 piece but it was a pain in the ass...

ImageUploadedBySDN1483769396.076174.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
THE END OF SEASON 6 OF GREY'S!!!!!! I'M FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to watch the show Lost by request of my SO... oh my gosh I'm going to have problems not binge-watching this show. So. good.! How I haven't discovered this show before now I'll never know.
I just finished the series finale of Lost... and contrary to 90% of the people telling me I would hate it, I actually really loved it! :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I never really know what to do with myself when a plumber is working on my bathroom. I don't want to stand over him watching but I'm also kind of weird about strangers being in my home near my more personal belongings (bed, clothes, etc.).

I hope this dude can fix things. My neighbor came over this afternoon and wanted to know if my tub was backed up and it was. Apparently, that makes it the condo associations problem to fix. That's a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had been freaking out once I got home from break because I put on a ton of weight over the holidays. I definitely hadn't been eating well when I was home for two weeks (dude, it's Christmas and New Year's, you gotta live a little) but when I got back and weighed myself I had put on almost 20 (!) pounds.

Just weighed myself again, a week later, and have lost almost 15 in water weight. In the end I only put on ~4 pounds over the holiday. Bodies are weird.

Reactions: 7 users
Lowkey freaking out and it's only the first day of class. In one of my classes we have a group project where we choose our groups but everyone else that I know is already in one. I know I should just chill out but I'm already panicking about it because it's 25% of my grade. I wish he assigned groups but I know that isn't feasible with the class size.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lowkey freaking out and it's only the first day of class. In one of my classes we have a group project where we choose our groups but everyone else that I know is already in one. I know I should just chill out but I'm already panicking about it because it's 25% of my grade. I wish he assigned groups but I know that isn't feasible with the class size.

Go meet someone new!

Go meet someone new!

That's what I plan on doing Friday! I know I'm just overreacting but needed to put it into words to show myself that it isn't as big of a deal as what my mind thinks.

Reactions: 1 user

This is a senior level class though so they shouldn't be strangers in theory. I just switch my major halfway through and everyone else has known each other for 3.5 years

We apparently are the same person
I knew no one for my group project and ended up doing it by myself (we were allowed to work by ourselves or in a group of up to 4), ended up getting over 100% on it so it worked out, but it would've been better and easier in a group. But don't be like me and procrastinate it until the night before because that is a bad idea.
I ALSO knew no one in my classes because I transferred after 2 years (so I didn't have the intro classes with any of them) AND I switched life plans and majors about a year and a half ago, so I REALLY knew no one...

Reactions: 3 users
We apparently are the same person
I knew no one for my group project and ended up doing it by myself (we were allowed to work by ourselves or in a group of up to 4), ended up getting over 100% on it so it worked out, but it would've been better and easier in a group. But don't be like me and procrastinate it until the night before because that is a bad idea.
I ALSO knew no one in my classes because I transferred after 2 years (so I didn't have the intro classes with any of them) AND I switched life plans and majors about a year and a half ago, so I REALLY knew no one...

Ours have to be in a group of 4-5 people so I can't do it by myself, otherwise I would for sure. There's also a presentation involved so I definelty don't want to do that by myself either. We have to go out to one of the farms for observation and filming too and that's just a whole lot to take on alone on top of research, TAing and other classes.

I took one of the intro classes with everyone with the other having a waiver due to a similar course but I was a double major back then and was treated differently because of that. I'm still salty about that though. My sophomore year I didn't really have any animal sci classes so that's most likely when I drifted away

Ours have to be in a group of 4-5 people so I can't do it by myself, otherwise I would for sure. There's also a presentation involved so I definelty don't want to do that by myself either. We have to go out to one of the farms for observation and filming too and that's just a whole lot to take on alone on top of research, TAing and other classes.

I took one of the intro classes with everyone with the other having a waiver due to a similar course but I was a double major back then and was treated differently because of that. I'm still salty about that though. My sophomore year I didn't really have any animal sci classes so that's most likely when I drifted away
I hope you're able to find a group soon!! I also prefer it when professors just assign groups because then I don't have to have friends in the class. Sucks for the people who DO have friends, but then I'm not stuck without a group haha

Reactions: 5 users
Season 8, episode 24 of Grey's. I'm going to freak again.

I haven't finished season 7 because I don't want to face things in later seasons.

Not even halfway through the episode and I'm struggling. Struggling very hard. And it's only getting worse.

Update: I get too emotionally involved with fictional characters.

Tips for bleaching my hair? Prepping a coloring session with my sister on Saturday and don't wanna eff it up

Tips for bleaching my hair? Prepping a coloring session with my sister on Saturday and don't wanna eff it up
Here's a tip: expect the worst is going to happen. Especially if you're bleaching it yourself. That way you're happy about the way it turned out instead of horrified.

What colour do you have now and what are you going to?

Have you dyed your hair before? If so, how fussy is it?
Ultimately, I'm going from this
image.jpeg

To this:
image.jpeg

My hair naturally takes a long time to take to dyes. I've bleached my hair once before when I was way young and then it took two tries because I have such thick hair.

I've been reading a lot about pre-conditioning and then super conditioning after bleaching, just trying to see if there's any other tips/tricks that I might have missed

If you are going dark at the roots disregard. This is more-so for lightish/bright colours.

I find that using a slightly lower volume of bleach on your roots works best, otherwise they go more electric than the rest of your hair.

You already mentioned it, but I'll repeat the condition the heck out of your hair after. Last thing you want is fried hair after making it all pretty.

Actually considering just bleaching the parts that the red and orange will go on instead of my whole head

Quick question guys. I'm talking to some high school students (mostly juniors and seniors) about applying to vet and wanted to see what you guys think I should add on my list of things to talk about:

Mental health considerations (high concern in vet med, lots of student stress, need to have healthy coping skills, good support system)
Financial considerations (pick cheap undergrad, possibly CC; pick cheapest vet school; get undegrad scholarships if possible)
Vet schools don't care what undergrad you went to; every vet school will get you a DVM/VMD
Shadowing, experience hours before getting set on the field
Basic timeline for applying

I'm focusing on the path before actually a DVM because the high school has an actual clinic owner come in to talk to them about being an actual vet. The vet doesn't go over a lot of the student stuff because they graduated somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago, and their counselor doesn't have much information.

Quick question guys. I'm talking to some high school students (mostly juniors and seniors) about applying to vet and wanted to see what you guys think I should add on my list of things to talk about:

Mental health considerations (high concern in vet med, lots of student stress, need to have healthy coping skills, good support system)
Financial considerations (pick cheap undergrad, possibly CC; pick cheapest vet school; get undegrad scholarships if possible)
Vet schools don't care what undergrad you went to; every vet school will get you a DVM/VMD

I'm focusing on the path before actually a DVM because the high school has an actual clinic owner come in to talk to them about being an actual vet. The vet doesn't go over a lot of the student stuff because they graduated somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago, and their counselor doesn't have much information.
I assume you'd mention it, but get good grades so you can get into vet school

I assume you'd mention it, but get good grades so you can get into vet school
Second this. Had a few people in the past few years that I knew who were shocked that their 77/78% average didn't get them in nor make them competitive.

Disclaimer: This is for one specific school where how the admissions is done means you need much higher than that to be competitive.

Out of curiosity, are these all students with an expressed interest in vet med or just a random group of high schoolers? That would change how I do my presentation.

I went to a job fair in high school. There was a vet booth, manned by receptionist/office staff from a clinic in town, and I stopped to talk to them. It was absolutely soul crushing. I'd been thinking about becoming a veterinarian for a long time, but I wasn't brave enough to admit it to anyone until senior year. The booth people were like "Oh, you want to be a vet? You have to keep a 4.0 gpa. Do you have a 4.0 in high school?" Nope, I didn't. So then they pretty much told me I'd never get in to vet school, and I should find a different career. It was terrible. I wish I had cool people like @batsenecal to give me actual, useful information.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are these all students with an expressed interest in vet med or just a random group of high schoolers? That would change how I do my presentation.

It's for the high school's pre-health profession club and students who have expressed an interest in biological science as a career path.

Thanks, @SkiOtter and @BeautifulBritishColumbia. I am going to show them the AAVMC website to show them that schools have specific requirements and give them the average GPA and GRE expectations for undergrad (hopefully without killing their soul like @PrincessButterCup experienced); I was also going to mention getting good GPA and ACT/SAT in high school for scholarships in undergrad (since those are the only reason I didn't have undergrad debt).

It's for the high school's pre-health profession club and students who have expressed an interest in biological science as a career path.

Thanks, @SkiOtter and @BeautifulBritishColumbia. I am going to show them the AAVMC website to show them that schools have specific requirements and give them the average GPA and GRE expectations for undergrad (hopefully without killing their soul like @PrincessButterCup experienced); I was also going to mention getting good GPA and ACT/SAT in high school for scholarships in undergrad (since those are the only reason I didn't have undergrad debt).
Yes, at least let them have their soul for a few more years.

I think it would also be cool if you shared some of the good experiences you had from your first year to show them that it is a dream worth going for and that it is fun at times too. I know my school had really cool hands on labs and stuff that I like to tell pre-vets about. I think it's important to give a healthy dose of both fear and encouragement.

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone had issues with a landlord not depositing rent in a timely fashion? Mine seems to like to hold onto checks for a month or two before submitting them to the bank meaning i end up having double taken at once instead of the expected amount monthly. Its not really a huge bugeting issue for me, but I'm getting kind of annoyed. Seems like if you wish to continue to be paid then you should actually deposit in a reasonable period of time (especially when the lease says there will be penalty for paying late). Thoughts?

Major in something that will give you other options in case you don't end up going to vet school (whether you don't get in or change your mind). You're rather limited on what you can do in an animal science major if you decide that you actually don't want to be a vet any more. Or if you go to a school where they actually have a 'pre-vet' major and you don't ever get accepted and you're SOL about jobs now

Reactions: 3 users
Bogo chipotle: a broke student's dream. Thanks Clemson fb for the natty and the bogo