Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But still

(I also would like to know if they saw you get in their car, look confused, and then get in your own :laugh:)
I looked around and stood by my car for a few minutes, hoping they would come out, but they didn’t.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why did none of you GP types tell me about the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze litter system.... omg.... so much better smell, and so much less litter tracking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did none of you GP types tell me about the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze litter system.... omg.... so much better smell, and so much less litter tracking.
Are you using it with the pellets or clumping litter? If you switched did your cats transition okay?

I looked it up and it looks super promising, I can imagine the pellets would be way easier to clean and maybe even less smellier? I just wonder how my cat would take to it.

Are you using it with the pellets or clumping litter? If you switched did your cats transition okay?

I looked it up and it looks super promising, I can imagine the pellets would be way easier to clean and maybe even less smellier? I just wonder how my cat would take to it.
My 3 cats took to it very, very well.

Do you guys in winter climates put snow tires on your vehicles?

My mother just moved to north/central Kansas from Florida and all of her neighbors are telling her that snow tires are not necessary. She grew up in St Louis and as a kid her father always put snow tires on their cars but that was also in the 60s, technology for vehicles and tires has certainly changed. Are her neighbors correct and all season tires will be sufficient? Or are they the crazies that think 4-wheel drive will compensate for snow tires and leading her astray?

If it matters, the vehicle is a 2011 AWD RAV4.

Appreciate your input!

Disclaimer: I'm in Canada and have no idea how a Kansas winter compares...

I always use winter tires in the winter. Always. Tried to get away without last year and nearly paid a very high price on the highway.

Disclaimer: I'm in Canada and have no idea how a Kansas winter compares...

I always use winter tires in the winter. Always. Tried to get away without last year and nearly paid a very high price on the highway.

Thanks and sorry to hear about last winter.

I think what's difficult as how the winters in Kansas are going to compare to what she grew up with in St Louis. It appears that Kansas get less snow but I'm sure that really depends on the year. She was really surprised to hear her neighbors didn't run snow tires during the winter :shrug:

My mother just moved to north/central Kansas from Florida and all of her neighbors are telling her that snow tires are not necessary. She grew up in St Louis and as a kid her father always put snow tires on their cars but that was also in the 60s, technology for vehicles and tires has certainly changed. Are her neighbors correct and all season tires will be sufficient? Or are they the crazies that think 4-wheel drive will compensate for snow tires and leading her astray?

Appreciate your input!
I’m in PA and most people don’t use snow tires, at least most of the people I know don’t use them. My little vw beetle could probably use them though. Considering the type of car she has, I’d say try going without this winter and see how it goes, but be careful.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in Idaho and most people use snow tires here, especially if you have to travel at all for work. I drive ~20 min each way and wouldn't feel comfortable without studded tires, especially since roads usually aren't clear yet when I'm leaving for work. All season tires can be okay for around town driving.

We've had pretty mild winters around midwest lately, so haven't had the need. The big thing I imagine for the need or not for areas that do get a decent winter is the ability of the city to keep the roads cleared and safe. They stink at it? I'd recommend taking the matter into your own hands and getting snow tires. They do great? Maybe not necessary. As usual, all kinds of variables affect the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks and sorry to hear about last winter.

I think what's difficult as how the winters in Kansas are going to compare to what she grew up with in St Louis. It appears that Kansas get less snow but I'm sure that really depends on the year. She was really surprised to hear her neighbors didn't run snow tires during the winter :shrug:

I'd say it depends on where she lives and how well the roads are cleared by her local government as well. Instead of winter tires she could also invest in tire chains - we had those growing up out west because they were occasionally required in mountain passes. That way she could put them on her tires if she felt like the conditions were unsafe on a particular day.

I will say, for the modern day I think that de-icing and snow removal is probably much better than in the 1960s, not to mention improvements to cars tires and break systems to prevent sliding. My parents live in rural Montana and do not use winter or studded tires for their vehicles and it snows there A LOT - they start getting snow in early September and sometimes get it as late as May... It would be impossible for them to drive some of the winter without 4-wheel/all-wheel drive, but they only carry chains in their cars - no winter tires.

Personally, I've lived in Connecticut (2003-2007) and Chicago (2012-2014) and never did anything to my passenger car in terms of winter or studded tires, and it was not a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle. I also never needed to because both locations were very aggressive about de-icing and snow removal (studded tires are also illegal in Illinois anyway).

Appreciate your input!
Last year we didn't get any big snow in northeast Kansas, I'm pretty sure most people just use all weather tires. There might be one or two big snows a year from what I hear, but that's it.

Thank you all for your input! Much appreciated! :love:

Pellets. My cats transitioned fine. My less-than-ideal litter situation (2 cats, and I have 2 litterboxes side-by-side) actually made it easy. I took one litterbox out, put one of the new ones in, threw a little poop/litter from the old one in the new box. Let the remaining old litterbox get dirtier and dirtier for a week but kept the new one clean. When I saw urine/poop more consistently in the new one, replaced the remaining old one with a second new one.

Went perfect. I do love it - a few pellets get kicked out, but nothing like the old litter tracking all the way out into the living room on their feet. Smell is somewhat better.

But, my cats are pretty good guys. One time when we accidentally shut the door to the litterbox room, they went and sought out a similar sized container to pee in rather than just pee on the carpet or something.

Reactions: 2 users

Appreciate your input!

(Lifelong Minnesotan here.)

Not anymore. All-season tires are decent enough to not bother. If you have specialty tires you could potentially need to, but for 99% of people it isn't necessary if you have typical all-season tires.

Last time I swapped out tires seasonally was, like, back in the late 80's.

We've had fairly mild winters here too, lately, but even when we didn't back in the 90s and whatnot you still didn't need snow tires.

That said, no tire makes it like driving in summer. Make sure your mom 'gets that'. If it snows a crapton, you just have to not drive places, or accept that it will be slow going and you might get stuck and you'd better have a good coat/gloves/mittens/etc.

Other thing to make sure she understands: 4-wheel-drive definitely helps, but it doesn't make you stop faster. It's so annoying to see people who think their 4-wheel-drive will stop faster. They think that right up until they rear-end somebody.

A buddy of mine used to commute 45 miles one way in his RAV4 for years up here in MN. They are a little lightweight, but work just fine in snow as long as you don't ask more than they can provide.

Last thought: You do need to change your tires appropriately. You can sorta get by with limited tread in warmer weather, but you'll feel it in a hurry if your tread is gone and you're driving in a few inches of snow.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for your input! Much appreciated! :love:
I drove last year in a real wheel drive car without snow tires. You've just got to be a bit more aware and conscious about how much space to keep between cars and stopping distances. I just threw a few large bags of sand in the trunk to add some weight in the rear end, so I'd have traction.

I just have all weather on mine (2004 corolla) and was fine last year in New England. Only had to use cat litter to get in my sloped driveway when we werent allow to park on the street.

I just have all weather on mine (2004 corolla) and was fine last year in New England. Only had to use cat litter to get in my sloped driveway when we werent allow to park on the street.
This reminds me... I need to figure out where in the new garage my kitty litter went and put it back in my car soon.....

More thanks! You all brought up points we/she hadn't considered.

This
Other thing to make sure she understands: 4-wheel-drive definitely helps, but it doesn't make you stop faster. It's so annoying to see people who think their 4-wheel-drive will stop faster. They think that right up until they rear-end somebody.

Was worried if her neighbors were of the 4x4 invincible mindset and giving poor advice about needing snow tires but looks like they might know what they are talking about. ;)

I just had all weather tires on my Accord, and would put a few bags of sand in the trunk. Got me through NY and NH winters without an issue.
I've got a 4WD truck now in milder winters :-D also with all weather tires. Agree with LIS on not being caught up in the "oh 4wd I can go anywhere in the snow" mindset. Go slow, be patient, signal early, avoid having to hit the brakes hard. Don't try to drive over big piles of plowed snow/slush. Always keep flashlight/blanket/extra coat/hat/gloves/water in the car in the winter. I always keep >1/2 tank gas also.

Honestly, no tire is a substitute for experience driving in the snow. Have her go to parking lots and such with locals so she can get the hang of handling the car, stops/turns, what to do if fishtailing. My dad did it for me when I was 17 and it was invaluable, but I still avoid driving in it at all costs. I don't trust the other people out there.

After discussing with my mother some more about the tires, she has decided to leave the all seasons on and see how it goes this winter.

Once again thanks everybody who commented! Your input was helpful.

I swear by studded snow tires in our climate. In snow, it probably doesn't matter, but we get a fair amount of ice and I like the studs better for that.

Appreciate your input!

I'm in OK, and I have summer tires not rated below 40 degrees Fahrenheit... (Mustang sport package anyone? They're Pirelli p-zeroes I think.)

Used them last winter and did okay. But not ideal, lol...

All-seasons would be fine here. I don't know about how different it would be that much more North than here. The trouble with snow tires is you generally want a second set of rims too, so you can easily swap, and then you need a place to store the four tires +/- rims that you aren't using.

Sitting in the London Heathrow airport and I'm getting super nostalgic about being in the UK. Really hoping I actually get to come back soon. I miss it.

I don't know and yet I felt you might like these... @SkiOtter

IMG_20171124_160859078.jpg
IMG_20171124_160936007.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Welcome to the club:p
:biglove::biglove::biglove::love::love::love:
Oh gosh I've been otter obsessed for at least 15 years haha. Ever since I saw Ring of Bright Water (Mij!). My house is covered in seahorses (another obsession) because no one else is obsessed with otters and therefore I can't find and buy a million otter things. Im more into sea otters than river otters though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Oh gosh I've been otter obsessed for at least 15 years haha. Ever since I saw Ring of Bright Water (Mij!). My house is covered in seahorses (another obsession) because no one else is obsessed with otters and therefore I can't find and buy a million otter things. Im more into sea otters than river otters though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile
Sea otters are definitely cuter but river otters are still :love:

It's nice to be home after visiting home-home.

My little rabbits agree. They don't like sharing a smaller cage or hanging out on the cold patio as small children try to poke at them. On a related note, the family dog, an old golden retriever, also hates having children trying to poke at him and I hate repeatedly telling little kids to not run up on him and smash their faces into his face. He's a sweet and patient dog but I'm sure he has a limit.