Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cast-iron-pant-moss

I totally thought you wrote cast iron pants at first haha! I looked it up because I had not heard of those before. Turns out they exist. I learn something new every day, huh. Now that I reread what you wrote, it makes a lot more sense lol.

Cast Iron Pant
What the ****
What the **** are cast iron pants
Is that just the brand
Or like
What

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a style name apparently. I think cast iron pants would be a pain to season.
I mean I didn't think that when I googled cast iron pants that I would even find a brand of pants with this name (I do have to admit it is quite clever). But then again, I am from Florida, and nothing that ever happens surprises me anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Ithaca scares me. A lot.

Like... I’m envisioning “send me to the wall with the nights watch” level cold
You'll survive, thought the first month or so of it cooling down will be rough. Make sure you get a really good winter coat; Costco has some good ones. I think I spent $200 on mine there, and it was rated for -40C. That being said I layered it under another winter coat when I was working on cows out at a farm the other weekend. :laugh:

I lived somewhere where it never got below freezing until I moved for vet school, and I'm still alive. You'll be surprised at how fast you adapt. Though it snowing halfway through September was enough to make me want to cry lol.

Reactions: 1 users
But she did her undergrad in Pennsylvania, so she should be able to handle it.
Wow stop stalking me
I mean I didn't think that when I googled cast iron pants that I would even find a brand of pants with this name (I do have to admit it is quite clever). But then again, I am from Florida, and nothing that ever happens surprises me anymore.
I bet Florida man has some sweet cast iron pants

Reactions: 5 users
Wow stop stalking me

I bet Florida man has some sweet cast iron pants
Don't fault me for my hobbies. Knowing random facts about internet friends but can't remember things for tests

Reactions: 6 users
Don't fault me for my hobbies. Knowing random facts about internet friends but can't remember things for tests
What you call hobbies, some states call a felony

Reactions: 10 users
My hobby is trying really hard to win WW games and putting 10% as much effort into anything I do in real life

Reactions: 3 users
My hobby is trying really hard to win WW games and putting 10% as much effort into anything I do in real life

I am starting to get the sense that the WW games are the main career choice for many on SDN, and veterinary school is the back-up plan.

Tell me, should I be more concerned about messing up in the WW games, than messing up in my interviews? I need to prioritize my responsibilities lol. :)

I am starting to get the sense that the WW games are the main career choice for many on SDN, and veterinary school is the back-up plan.

Tell me, should I be more concerned about messing up in the WW games, than messing up in my interviews? I need to prioritize my responsibilities lol. :)
I mean, for both you should worry about dying. Try not to do that in either? WW is Sirius bizness.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh I like you already

Just remember, vet school is only 4 years. WW is forever

Reactions: 10 users

I mean, how's your like: post ratio?
Right @WildZoo and @Melchizedek ?

Hm, not great. Why do you ask?
Because if you have a high enough ratio, you can submit your likes for review to any vet/medical school and they will grant you a degree instantly.

Or at least that’s what I heard on SDN

Reactions: 7 users
Because if you have a high enough ratio, you can submit your likes for review to any vet/medical school and they will grant you a degree instantly.

Or at least that’s what I heard on SDN
Oh that sounds great, I will get right on that haha. Is that what you did, or are you still working on the likes? Also, I do believe every single thing I read on SDN lol. ;)

Last edited:
Oh that sound great, I will get right on that haha. Is that what you did, or are you still working on the likes? Also, I do believe every single thing I read on SDN lol. ;)
I’m waiting til I hit a 2.0 ratio to make sure. 4 years of hard work on SDN pretty much equals 4 years of hard work in medical school yeah?

Reactions: 2 users
I’m waiting til I hit a 2.0 ratio to make sure. 4 years of hard work on SDN pretty much equals 4 years of hard work in medical school yeah?
Great advice! I am at the 2.0 mark now, so should I quit and submit my reviews to the schools? Maybe they will give me an MD and a DVM at the same time.

Update: I am liking your posts currently, so that you can reach your goal. Your likes would be greatly appreciated too, so that I can maintain the 2.0 standard haha. :)

Update #2: @Melchizedek Thank you, Honorable Sir!

Last edited:
Great advice! I am at the 2.0 mark now, so should I quit and submit my reviews to the schools? Maybe they will give me an MD and a DVM at the same time.

Update: I am liking your posts currently, so that you can reach your goal. Your likes would be greatly appreciated too, so that I can maintain the 2.0 standard haha. :)
Blatant like-fishing? Come with me, you belong in The Lounge

Reactions: 7 users
Omg please let her play a game of ww before exposing her to the lounge and scaring her away!!!
The moment of realization when you discover that you are in too deep on SDN:

1. I was just invited to the lounge, and from what I have read, it is not a place I want to go.
2. SDN has officially destroyed my computer battery life, and instead of even considering reducing the amount of times I login to SDN, I am now looking into buying a new battery.
:whoa:

The moment of realization when you discover that you are in too deep on SDN:

1. I was just invited to the lounge, and from what I have read, it is not a place I want to go.
2. SDN has officially destroyed my computer battery life, and instead of even considering reducing the amount of times I login to SDN, I am now looking into buying a new battery.
:whoa:
One of us, one of us

Reactions: 9 users
S. Dakota State aims to admit veterinary students in 2021

On the topic of opening more schools/increasing more seats, how do peeps feel about the 2+2 programs as a way of increasing vet med in undeserved areas.
Assuming you meant underserved ;) I don't know if there's data on how many students form the Utah, Alaska, Nebraska, and Montana programs go back and work in those areas. It would be interesting to know - if most of them do stay on the track they were on when they started, and they go back to their home states, then sure, I'm all for decreasing debt load for people who would be applying to other schools OOS anyway. Increasing class size isn't my favorite thing, but I'd say more seats at that price point is better than more seats at the OOS price point, and having sponsored seats at existing schools is better than building brand new ones.

Assuming you meant underserved ;) I don't know if there's data on how many students form the Utah, Alaska, Nebraska, and Montana programs go back and work in those areas. It would be interesting to know - if most of them do stay on the track they were on when they started, and they go back to their home states, then sure, I'm all for decreasing debt load for people who would be applying to other schools OOS anyway. Increasing class size isn't my favorite thing, but I'd say more seats at that price point is better than more seats at the OOS price point, and having sponsored seats at existing schools is better than building brand new ones.

#finalsbrain lol

At least the few people whom I knew went to UNL from my undergrad, all of them went back or are planning on going back to NE. The others, I have no clue. If more states do this, I do think it's better than building entire new school, half filled with OOS that probaby won't stay in that state.

I will also add that at least for the AK program, there are also additional opportunities for the main campus students to go to Fairbanks and work on research projects etc up there and get more experience working in that region. Obviously not all of them will practice there, but I am aware of a few students who want to practice in AK and used those opportunities to get experience and network in the area

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?ar...qR7l1BM315K6Sb40HLw5PEzedwIt5YTUdpuzTRabDj4hY

On the topic of opening more schools/increasing more seats, how do peeps feel about the 2+2 programs as a way of increasing vet med in undeserved areas.

The ONLY thing that might increase vet med in underserved areas is full subsidization of veterinary school tuition with a written contact/guarantee that you'll return and work in that region for at minimum of 4 years. There also needs to be a guarantee of a livable wage which will be easier to do since these people won't have any debt. There is no guarantee they'll stay after that mandatory 4 year commitment though.

With Montana, my understanding was the 10 seats we now have here were the number (or approximate) of WICHE seats Montana use to fund. So now instead of Montana students applying to every WICHE school and only the top 10 receiving funding, WSU is their “IS.”

Idaho also use to be part of WICHE and now have IS seats at WSU. Oregon State did something similar to Utah State with a split campus before establishing their own school. I don’t think Utah State has any plans of expanding to a full school though.

With Montana, my understanding was the 10 seats we now have here were the number (or approximate) of WICHE seats Montana use to fund. So now instead of Montana students applying to every WICHE school and only the top 10 receiving funding, WSU is their “IS.”

Idaho also use to be part of WICHE and now have IS seats at WSU. Oregon State did something similar to Utah State with a split campus before establishing their own school. I don’t think Utah State has any plans of expanding to a full school though.
The article just mentioned those four states were the ones with similar programs, I dunno specifics about any of them (the only ones I knew about were Alaska and Utah). Do Montana and Idaho do the split campus thing or are they at WSU the whole time?

The article just mentioned those four states were the ones with similar programs, I dunno specifics about any of them (the only ones I knew about were Alaska and Utah). Do Montana and Idaho do the split campus thing or are they at WSU the whole time?
I was just explaining how the split campuses worked, and not actually commenting on the article :p probably should have clarified hahaha I guess I was trying to say some of the ones that have been added haven’t actually increased total seats at schools that much haha

Montana is a split campus. Idaho is in Pullman.

Last edited:
shhhhhhh I wanna see if she comes back the same.

I.....
don't really know what to say about SPF

I want to know what all of the people who's accounts have been revoked or put on hold have done.

That being said, I'm actually thoroughly enjoying watching other people's drama from the sidelines...

Reactions: 4 users
I.....
don't really know what to say about SPF

I want to know what all of the people who's accounts have been revoked or put on hold have done.

That being said, I'm actually thoroughly enjoying watching other people's drama from the sidelines...
I'm pretty sure it has to do with some sort of initiation ritual. You're not part of SPF until your account has been suspended at least once
source.gif