Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Coffees for @CoffeeQuestionMark :coffee::coffee:

71b7babd535f74dd92478a4077da0932.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For 1st and 2nd years:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518361600#

summer internship available with the USDA-APHIS-VS. Available at a lot of places throughout the US, and it pays pretty well!
Plus if there's another big disease outbreak somewhere there's big potential of lots of OT!

Reactions: 2 users
lawper, thank you! now I understand the differences... :) and the fact that I was drooling while reading all the descriptions has nothing to do with the fact I am craving some good coffee right now!

For 1st and 2nd years:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/518361600#

summer internship available with the USDA-APHIS-VS. Available at a lot of places throughout the US, and it pays pretty well!
Plus if there's another big disease outbreak somewhere there's big potential of lots of OT!
Are we assuming Californians are going to magically stop their backyard poultry farms/ increase their biosecurity standards and Newcastle and Mareks will just magically disappear?? :poke:

I’d say more, but that’d just be feeding the fed horse.

Are we assuming Californians are going to magically stop their backyard poultry farms/ increase their biosecurity standards and Newcastle and Mareks will just magically disappear?? :poke:

I’d say more, but that’d just be feeding the fed horse.
The euthanasias will stop when morale improves

Reactions: 4 users
I read this in class and had a hell of a time keeping a straight face! I sit in the front row....

I've been on SDN for 5 years as of today! :eek:

Edit: Technically tomorrow, but they gave me my badge today for some reason?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually that is my boy Jake! The other collar is for my dog Mimi. We temporarily took it off of her because she had the zoomies, and we didn't really feel like listening to jingle bells for 5 solid minutes as she was running all around the apartment! Haha
WELL THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES.

Reactions: 1 user
Me: *Spinning dreidel upside down*

Significant Other: "You're going to break it, it's not meant for that!"

Me: "But I was able to do it though"

SO: "Well just because I can fit you in the oven doesn't mean you belong there"

Me: *Speechless, can't argue with that logic*

Reactions: 5 users
Since I know some of you are embarking on the Match fandago currently or have done so in previous years - a quick question, if I may.

We just got our core rotation assignments for next year, and I was assigned small animal ER during the last week in October/first week in November. I was hoping to get a LOR from one of the small animal ER clinicians. Since the VIRMP deadline is early December, would it be disrespectful of me to ask one of those clinicians for a LOR with only ~3 weeks until that deadline?

I am hoping to switch with another student so that I can get that rotation in a little earlier, but I am not sure if that will pan out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
If you can't switch it's really not the end of the world. If you shine in the rotation (which you would need to in order to get a strong letter from someone who didn't know you prior), clinicians will often offer it because they know it's match season, or at least understand that rotation schedules are out of your control. I did my IM rotation close to the deadline, and both clinicians I worked with asked me if I was all set for LORs because they would be happy to write one. I wasn't applying so didn't need it, but I remember thinking "isn't it a little late for this?"

But the caveat is that you have to shine! I had one rotation mate that sort of sucked on the rotation come out of her review in tears when the clinician told them they couldn't write a strong letter, and that if she really needed it, they will but that it will include that person's x,y,z shortcomings. That's tough unless you have a backup plan, esp if it's last minute.

Reactions: 1 user
In case any of you are wondering, which I’m sure some of you are (don’t lie), TSA will allow you to bring a waffle maker in your carry-on luggage. :nod:

Every time I look at my signature I'm reminded that I have farm animal field services in January. Why. Why did I let this happen.

You'll be fine, you're in the South! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Every time I look at my signature I'm reminded that I have farm animal field services in January. Why. Why did I let this happen.
I have it right now, so I feel that pain. It hasn't been too terrible. I keep handwarmers in my pockets, and I wear LOTS of layers. I also recently bought a cowl to keep my neck warm, since scarves seemed like the ends would just get covered in poop.

Most days I wear 2 pairs of socks. I put the first pair on before I put on my fleece lined leggings, and the second pair (usually Carhartt wool socks) go over the leggings. Then I wear ski pants or fleece lined Carhartt pants over the leggings. I wear 1 or 2 long sleeve shirts, with the bottom one tucked into the leggings, and the top one tucked into the outer pants. We have to wear polo shirts, so that goes on top of the long sleeve shirts. If we are working with cows, I wear 2 fleece zip up jackets, plus my cowl and a winter hat. For the equine side I wear my hoodie and winter coat. My feet and hands still get cold sometimes, but I haven't frozen to death yet (and I'm a cold weenie.)

Reactions: 2 users
I think she's a Floridian, so TN may as well be the tundra.
But she did her undergrad in Pennsylvania, so she should be able to handle it.

Reactions: 1 users
You guys are all weenies, I went to undergrad in -20 weather with 2 feet of snow on the ground :whistle:

You guys are all weenies, I went to undergrad in -20 weather with 2 feet of snow on the ground :whistle:

Ithaca scares me. A lot.

Like... I’m envisioning “send me to the wall with the nights watch” level cold

Reactions: 6 users
cast-iron-pant-moss
And cast iron pans aren’t?!?! But I TOTALLY could knock someone out with a waffle iron.
I totally thought you wrote cast iron pants at first haha! I looked it up because I had not heard of those before. Turns out they exist. I learn something new every day, huh. Now that I reread what you wrote, it makes a lot more sense lol.

Cast Iron Pant

Update: @grebes4lyfe, you may want to invest in some cast iron pants, just in case you are sent to guard the wall. Winter is in fact coming.

Last edited: