Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would a Seresto collar work on an Animagus in their animal form?
It would most likely keep fleas off whether in human or animal form. But size of the transformation might matter -- a small mouse ain't gonna be able to hang on to the collar and a baby donkey-dragon would probably break the collar.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like your freedom is about to pay off.

I know that most of us over here don't go over to pre-allo often, if at all. But y'all will want to go to this post right here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that most of us over here don't go over to pre-allo often, if at all. But y'all will want to go to this post right here.

That was...... unexpected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 12.54.12.jpg

WHO KNEW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
This post is actually part of pre-allo legend haha
I get classmates referring to it a lot IRL XD

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Screenshot_20181028-182605.png

@Lee can there be a way to delete this large, annoying box at the top once the SDN member has read it? Maybe make a clicky box to acknowledge they read it? It is really annoying having that hang about consistently. It is the same spot we keep getting told about new articles too but those can at least be deleted, it just takes up so much space. Thanks!

Unsure about how I feel, but I just pulled the trigger on getting an iPhone. I've been with the Galaxy line for like the past 9 years but have had a few consistently annoying issues when dealing with the phone in relation to everyone else with iPhones that I think it's worth the switch.

Reactions: 1 user
Unsure about how I feel, but I just pulled the trigger on getting an iPhone. I've been with the Galaxy line for like the past 9 years but have had a few consistently annoying issues when dealing with the phone in relation to everyone else with iPhones that I think it's worth the switch.
10000000% recommend getting AppleCare if you didn’t.

What issues were you having with the galaxies? I've only ever had galaxies myself and I'm curious about your thoughts since I've been on and off about switching to an iPhone for the past year or so

Random morbid input on apple products: if there's anything you think your family/the police will need from your device in the event of an accident or death, keep your password somewhere they can find it. My sister had exclusively apple products and we are still trying to get into them cause the police cannot break into apple products. :rolleyes:

Random morbid input on apple products: if there's anything you think your family/the police will need from your device in the event of an accident or death, keep your password somewhere they can find it. My sister had exclusively apple products and we are still trying to get into them cause the police cannot break into apple products. :rolleyes:
All you need is a million dollars, that's what it took the FBI to get one of the San Bernardino shooters phones open.

(Not implying your sister had ties to terrorism)

Also, Team Pixel. I don't get clogged down with all the carrier add-on software crap that you can't remove

All you need is a million dollars, that's what it took the FBI to get one of the San Bernardino shooters phones open

Exactly the reason why they couldn't get in them; apparently apple will only give authorities access in extreme cases :rolleyes: We're hoping a death certificate will suffice, though I will feel bad for the poor employee that gets to deal with us this weekend.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but earlier today one of the Vetmed Facebook pages posted a photo of a case that had an animal infected with maggots and really bad necrosis of skin discovered after shaving. They posted a radiograph that demonstrated the extent of the injuries, but the radiograph still had the owners full name and the pet's name on it. Due to the nature of the images a ton of people were commenting about neglect and several commenters mentioned that they had searched the owner up on Facebook.

Usually staff (techs, assistants, vets, etc) of the clinics submit the photos to the page for posting along with a description. What potential ramifications could the clinic staff from this clinic see/would owner have cause for litigious action? If a staff member posted it without knowledge of the vet, could they still get in trouble with their local vet board?

Not sure if anyone saw this, but earlier today one of the Vetmed Facebook pages posted a photo of a case that had an animal infected with maggots and really bad necrosis of skin discovered after shaving. They posted a radiograph that demonstrated the extent of the injuries, but the radiograph still had the owners full name and the pet's name on it. Due to the nature of the images a ton of people were commenting about neglect and several commenters mentioned that they had searched the owner up on Facebook.

Usually staff (techs, assistants, vets, etc) of the clinics submit the photos to the page for posting along with a description. What potential ramifications could the clinic staff from this clinic see/would owner have cause for litigious action? If a staff member posted it without knowledge of the vet, could they still get in trouble with their local vet board?
I would think for sure theres definitely ramifications because its basically like breaking HIPAA. As far for if the vet didnt know about it I would say less likely accountable. Definitely termination I would think for whoever did post it and the clinic I would think is liable to some extent if they dont have a policy about social media postings. However our school is very strict about social media posting. IMO overall it's a bad idea.

Just my speculations though

I did see the post and didn't bother with the comments cause I knew they would be a blood bath. I can't believe that they didn't redact the owners names!

I would think for sure theres definitely ramifications because its basically like breaking HIPAA. As far for if the vet didnt know about it I would say less likely accountable. Definitely termination I would think for whoever did post it and the clinic I would think is liable to some extent if they dont have a policy about social media postings. However our school is very strict about social media posting. IMO overall it's a bad idea.

I generally dislike the fact that so many of these pages accept/post images from vet teams the way they do. It breeds distrust of vet clinics, judgment against those we are here to help, etc. I can get behind 'Look at this cat that survived an accidental knife to the skull, here are the rads, here's how we treated!' (especially when owner permission is posted), but I can't stand the owner bashing posts. If I were a pet owner aware of the chance that my animal in bad shape could get posted to FB so I could be mocked for waiting too long to get a dental, I might just avoid getting the dental at all. Sort of like how overweight individuals are at risk of being mocked on social media when they go to a gym, so some choose not to go.

Thoughts:
1. You don't know the full story. Half the time, some of the staff in the same hospital won't know the full story, so people seeing the picture on FB are just going to fill in the blanks on their own. There is always the chance that the owner really did just not care for the animal, but many times there are extenuating circumstances where the owner did his/her best to do right by the animal and couldn't/failed. At the end of the day, the owner brought the animal in for treatment.
2. It's not appropriate. If this happened on the human side of things, the same people sending in pics/commenting would be all offended over the lack of privacy. We're here to take care of the animals. Yes, there can be an educational component to some of the posts, but a few of these pages seems to welcome and even promote owner-bashing.

On a similar note, did you guys see the picture of the fully degloved dog face the same page posted? I'm normally not a fainter but I got a little lightheaded just looking at that picture :barf:

but a few of these pages seems to welcome and even promote owner bashing

I agree strongly here, and think it's one of the biggest issues amongst veterinary students and possibly the profession. It honestly infuriates me. There were certainly points when I was growing up where we wouldn't have been able to provide gold standard care for ourselves, let alone our dogs. We wouldn't have deserved the treatment that these "professionals" show against the owners showcased on that page. The owner bashing is getting to the point of toxicity on that page specifically.

On a similar note, did you guys see the picture of the fully degloved dog face the same page posted? I'm normally not a fainter but I got a little lightheaded just looking at that picture

Same. I gasped out loud. And, not surprisingly, found an owner bashing comment on that one too.

While there isn't a HIPAA for veterinary medicine, many individual practice acts have privacy stipulations related to medical records and veterinarians can get in big trouble for violations. I'm not sure how it works if staff is responsible for violations (probably varies by state) but a big deal nonetheless. The AVMA has a decent (if brief) review of some laws in different states here.

On a similar note, something like this is a serious ethical violation and can have serious consequences for clients. I have personally worked with clients who were hiding from domestic abusers etc who could have easily been found and murdered if their/their pet's information were publicly shared like this. Even barring unique situations like that, given the harassment experienced here I wouldn't be surprised if this client had enough to file charges or pursue a civil suit depending on the location.

What issues were you having with the galaxies? I've only ever had galaxies myself and I'm curious about your thoughts since I've been on and off about switching to an iPhone for the past year or so

I've had issues with apps crashing or just not working but the biggest is really that Ive had a lot of text messaging issues between myself and people with iPhones. Either my phone decides it doesnt want to accept photos or videos (I have to have videos emailed to me and then upload them to like Google Drive to not get them in a grainy format) and more recently people's responses get put before a message I sent them even though it's their reply to what I just asked. It was a really hard switch for me to make and I plan on keeping my S8 for backup as it is otherwise very functional and I love the phone itself. I will probably look into applecare though but that's why I always keep my old phone so I have something slightly functional to use if things get messed up.

Either my phone decides it doesnt want to accept photos or videos (I have to have videos emailed to me and then upload them to like Google Drive to not get them in a grainy format)
This is a general texting thing. Between iPhones, it’s sent a different way and goes through the Apple servers over internet vs regular cell towers so the files can be larger, but SMS/MMS to/from a non-iPhone they have to compress and degrade the video to be able to send it because of size limits. I experience that a LOT when sending stuff to either of my siblings because they don’t have iPhones (and my parents STILL don’t understand that they can’t send videos to my siblings and still have us actually see what’s even in them.....)

This is a general texting thing. Between iPhones, it’s sent a different way and goes through the Apple servers over internet vs regular cell towers so the files can be larger, but SMS/MMS to/from a non-iPhone they have to compress and degrade the video to be able to send it because of size limits. I experience that a LOT when sending stuff to either of my siblings because they don’t have iPhones (and my parents STILL don’t understand that they can’t send videos to my siblings and still have us actually see what’s even in them.....)

Oh I know it is but i have things sent to me enough that's it's annoying as the only android user amongst the people I communicate most frequently with.

Oh I know it is but i have things sent to me enough that's it's annoying as the only android user amongst the people I communicate most frequently with.
Oh I totally agree. Almost everyone I communicate with is an iPhone user too, except for my two siblings. I was just saying it wasn’t specifically your phone doing that, it’s each carrier putting restrictions on how big files can be

I've had issues with apps crashing or just not working but the biggest is really that Ive had a lot of text messaging issues between myself and people with iPhones. Either my phone decides it doesnt want to accept photos or videos (I have to have videos emailed to me and then upload them to like Google Drive to not get them in a grainy format) and more recently people's responses get put before a message I sent them even though it's their reply to what I just asked. It was a really hard switch for me to make and I plan on keeping my S8 for backup as it is otherwise very functional and I love the phone itself. I will probably look into applecare though but that's why I always keep my old phone so I have something slightly functional to use if things get messed up.
I know you've already switched phones so it doesn't matter now but just in case anyone else is having the same issues and doesn't want to switch, if you send videos over something like Facebook messenger or Snapchat it solves the compression problem, as long as the video isn't too long for them to handle.

Interesting, I haven't had this issue :thinking: maybe I don't send enough videos to notice
Maybe! Or not long enough ones/large enough files. Anything that is longer than maybe 10 seconds is going to get majorly compressed if it is sent over MMS. When videos are sent between iPhones they are sent over iMessage, which keeps it on Apple's servers, which allow for much larger files sizes than MMS, so it doesn't need to be compressed. Things like Snapchat and Facebook messenger have their own file size limits but also tend to be higher than MMS.

While there isn't a HIPAA for veterinary medicine, many individual practice acts have privacy stipulations related to medical records and veterinarians can get in big trouble for violations. I'm not sure how it works if staff is responsible for violations (probably varies by state) but a big deal nonetheless. The AVMA has a decent (if brief) review of some laws in different states here.

On a similar note, something like this is a serious ethical violation and can have serious consequences for clients. I have personally worked with clients who were hiding from domestic abusers etc who could have easily been found and murdered if their/their pet's information were publicly shared like this. Even barring unique situations like that, given the harassment experienced here I wouldn't be surprised if this client had enough to file charges or pursue a civil suit depending on the location.

We don't have hipaa. Most practices don't stipulate that I've seen, though I'm sure some do. It's just unethical and that may translate to a licensing board giving some ramifications for doing it.

But it's not illegal, just unethical

Reactions: 3 users
Since I know some of you are embarking on the Match fandago currently or have done so in previous years - a quick question, if I may.

We just got our core rotation assignments for next year, and I was assigned small animal ER during the last week in October/first week in November. I was hoping to get a LOR from one of the small animal ER clinicians. Since the VIRMP deadline is early December, would it be disrespectful of me to ask one of those clinicians for a LOR with only ~3 weeks until that deadline?

I am hoping to switch with another student so that I can get that rotation in a little earlier, but I am not sure if that will pan out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Since I know some of you are embarking on the Match fandago currently or have done so in previous years - a quick question, if I may.

We just got our core rotation assignments for next year, and I was assigned small animal ER during the last week in October/first week in November. I was hoping to get a LOR from one of the small animal ER clinicians. Since the VIRMP deadline is early December, would it be disrespectful of me to ask one of those clinicians for a LOR with only ~3 weeks until that deadline?

I am hoping to switch with another student so that I can get that rotation in a little earlier, but I am not sure if that will pan out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Disclaimer: I never did match ****.

But switching would be good if you can finagle it. Otherwise consider hanging out in the ER during lighter rotations/down time to get your face out there beforehand, and if it ends up you need to ask on short notice I'd personally just be apologetic but explain that scheduling didn't work out perfect for things.