Random Stuffs

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by PetPony, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Caiter92

Caiter92 Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'm gonna be real sad when I don't have as good of a discount as I had as a VA as a vet lol

Free exams, 50% off all surgeries and services, at cost + 10% for all lab work and meds. Worked out to anywhere from a 50-70% discount on things. It was beautiful lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SkiOtter likes this.
  2. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
    Gold Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Banfield was free for most things because they gave us up to 3 free wellness plans, and you could do the highest level of you wanted. Anything not included in the plan was 20% off. I guess that was worth selling my soul for a little while ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Caiter92 likes this.
  3. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I never want to work for a banfield for various reasons, but if I ever end up at one, at least I get almost free Vet care :laugh:

WildZoo likes this.
  4. WildZoo

Veterinary Student
    The highest level plan was 2 physical exams, one in house CBC/Chem, two fecals, all vaccines, tonometry, and a dental which includes another set of bloodwork. Then a set of rads for dogs and a T4 for cats. Free ear swab on your first plan. All things were supposed to be used preventatively but we would definitely game the system to use them if the pet was sick or had a problem (like we would hang onto the rads until their second visit in case something came up). Sometimes got in trouble for it but meh.

I hate that I still remember all of that lol
    Some things may have changed by now since I worked for them 3 years ago.

SkiOtter and Caiter92 like this.
  5. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    Through IDEXX you do.

6. DVMDream

DVMDream Don't disturb the snowflakes
    Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Not necessarily, just as we were mentioning that every clinic is charged differently based upon their contract with the lab. This is also part of the contract. If the clinic doesn't have enough business sent through Idexx, they do not receive this discount.

Teepster87 likes this.
  7. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    And all their in-house machines read blood wrong. Every single one and they have known it is a problem for a while, but meh, after years, they are just now slowly replacing the machines. Don't get me started on all the issues I have seen in clinics, corporate or otherwise.

WildZoo and JaynaAli like this.
  8. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    Oh and can't forget that not every vet works for a clinic that has Idexx available. Industry vets, lab vets, relief vets, vets who work at clinics contracted with Antech or another lab instead, etc.... they can't just send blood to Idexx for free.

kcoughli and JaynaAli like this.
  9. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    Huh. That’s interesting. I didn’t know that. I did know that there was a minimum number of labs that you had to send out to get certain benefits though. I think for my hospital it’s like an average of 4 labs per day.

10. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    My own cat's bloodwork is coming due and even with my friend giving me a discount, it'll still cost ~$200ish.... which I'm fine with, but not all vets are getting free bloodwork.

11. WildZoo

Veterinary Student
    Might explain why my kitty didn't get her CKD diagnosis until she got bloodwork done at school

12. vetmedhead

vetmedhead I hope my heart goes first!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Right? I need to reschedule Cheese for a follow-up chem and UA

13. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    Damn. That’s still a lot. My boss and I are pretty close and he’s the kind of guy who if he can give you something for free he will. One woman he worked with years ago went once to become a vet and she was giving her dog experimental bone grafts. She called him up after not seeing him for years and asked if she could get x rays and rebandage his legs. He said okay and ended up just not charging her for it. I’m sure he’d let me do that down the road.

14. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    It was more just always reading ALP/ALT high and every hematocrit being like >60%... annoying crap. I'd have to explain constantly "this could just be sample hemloysis/lab error or real, we should send out or recheck in a month." They'd also refuse us to send out for conformation if the machines were being off, which was frustrating because that didn't cost them anything.

15. Skimble

Skimble With Beans
    Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    We used antech where I worked before vet school and dr’s got free bloodwork for their pets. I’m sure it’s a similar deal to idexx and varies by clinic/location.

16. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    It varies. One clinic I was at it was all staff got free labwork, another was just doctors, other clinics you just get a percent off. It gets a bit tricky because you also have to add in the government and taxes. Employees can get up to a 20% discount anything above that must be reported as additional income and you are taxed on it. So just keep that in mind when looking at a job that offers a 75% employee discount... 20% of that will really be "free" the other 55% is considered income and is taxed.

17. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Huh, that’s interesting. We didn’t get a mark off on our invoices or anything, things were just literally entered into the computer as the employee pricing, and it worked out to the 50-70%. Wonder if that’s a work around.

18. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    I just know that one clinic I worked for wasn't reporting that extra above the 20% and, well, they finally got a big hit via taxes once it was noticed.

19. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    But was that extra marked on an invoice as a discount? I’m just curious if they were reporting that.

20. DVMDream

Veterinarian
    I honestly can't explain details on it as I wasn't there and can't recall what our receipts looked like. I just know that they definitely made a big point about it in their contract as most people just see "75% discount" and don't think about the rest. Where as prior to them getting "caught" they weren't reporting that additional 55% as income for each employee.

21. orca2011

orca2011 PennWe c/o 2016!!!

Veterinarian
    I know my hospital gets we get x amount of free labwork per year as a hospital. It's not geared towards certain staff or limited to like 1 panel/pet, at least as far as I know. Once we hit that amount, then there are fees and the free labwork is only for like CBC/Chem/T4/UA/HWT type stuff. Anything beyond that like urine cultures, cytology, extensive thyroid panels, etc has a fee. I do think our Antech fees are reasonable but that's mainly because our specific staff and that we have an Antech employee on site 5 days a week and a ridiculous caseload.

22. Trilt

Trilt love doc + puppy snuggler extraordinaire
    Veterinarian Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

I'm a vet - where do I get my free bloodwork?? Lolol.

WildZoo, vetmedhead and Lupin21 like this.
  23. Lupin21

Lupin21 Do Not Disturb
    Staff Member Moderator Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yah, I always paid for mine, just discounted 25%. haha

24. Trilt

Trilt love doc + puppy snuggler extraordinaire
    Veterinarian Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Ours is usually 50% off, but still not free.

Lupin21 likes this.
  25. Lupin21

Lupin21 Do Not Disturb
    Staff Member Moderator Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    My community practice clinician was against free anyway. He said it went against profits for the business, and that money should go to production so your pay is higher. haha

vetmedhead likes this.
  26. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    Work at a small practice that does a lot of labwork. My practice gets free bloodwork for vets through IDEXX.

27. WildZoo

Veterinary Student
    I doubt that's universal, even for small practices ;)

28. WildZoo

Veterinary Student
    Damn, I guess that's a check in the GP column - might get free bloodwork

But nah. Still not worth it. :p

29. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    Like DVMDream said, it’s usually a perk related to hitting goals. It can probably be universal as long as the office manager asks the rep about it and is adamant about it. My last office manager could get pretty much anything he wanted. It was almost like a super power.

30. cowgirla

cowgirla Oklahoma 2014

Veterinarian
    We get free labwork from both Idexx and Antech for DVM pets, 50% off for staff pets. No limits, not related to any goals. We rarely use Idexx (only for things they offer than Antech doesn't since they don't have courier service in our area), so I was pretty impressed that they still give discounts. Basically anything that gets run through a machine- CBC/Chem/lytes, ua, thyroid, clotting factors, cortisol, progesterone. It comes in handy for my crazy creatures :) I think things like histopath and cytologies are discounted a little but not as heavily.

31. capri1722

capri1722 c/o 2022

Pharmacy Student
    Doctor-S likes this.
  32. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
  33. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    You know how dogs often look like they’re smiling when they’re actually very stressed and anxious? I feel like some breeds of dog that are more expressive than others (like golden retrievers) actually smile when they’re happy as well. Does anyone have some insight on this?

killerleaf likes this.
  34. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
    Veterinarian Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    For the record, Loveland the town and Loveland Ski area are separate things a couple hours away from each other. But yes, both are nice.

35. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Damn I tried
    Why you gotta, Colorado

36. killerleaf

killerleaf beware, beyond there be dragons
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Our golden, Sam, would smile his head off when he was happy. If he was anxious or stressed, the ears would go back, and he definitely was NOT smiling. But, you know, just one out of how many? I am sure that there are those that don't, and those that do. I personally feel that Sam was a special boy. :)

ajs513 likes this.
  37. Skimble

Skimble With Beans
    Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I know a yorkie that smiles when he’s happy. Actually I know two yorkies that do this.

38. killerleaf

killerleaf beware, beyond there be dragons
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    here is our Sam...

Attached Files:

SkiOtter and Doctor-S like this.
  39. genny

genny Multicolored toe beans
    Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I feel like they do smile. But I see it more around the eyes - they just relax a bit more when they’re happy. I notice it most when discharging surgical patients to their owners. Such a happy reunion!

Doctor-S and Cephal0pod like this.
  40. Cephal0pod

Cephal0pod c/o 2020
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Agree with others above that there are differences between the happy "smile" vs anxious/stressed out of their minds "smile."

There are other body language cues that can help you figure out what might be going on, too -- a "smile" of either sort is generally accompanied by other signs.

Doctor-S likes this.
  41. ajs513

ajs513 PennVet c/o 2023

Pre-Veterinary
    You know how when people see the price for their visit on their invoice they say something like “I’m gonna have to make fluffy get a job!”? Today one of our clients actually went through with that and inquired about having her dog become a goose chaser. They have an interview tomorrow.

Cephal0pod, Coopah, Barkley13 and 3 others like this.
  42. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    LOL

43. picklegurl

44. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
  45. Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I wouldn't be so surprised. Lab costs can vary quite a bit between hospitals. Like between two hospitals I work at that are within 20 min drive from each other, the CBC/superchem/T4/UA/HWT packages are $300+ and $100...

In the first practice, there isn't a panel under $140 (cbc/chem5)

It's a matter of what package deals the hospital can make with the lab and what markup they decide to use.

DVMDream likes this.
  46. cowgirla

cowgirla Oklahoma 2014

Veterinarian
    My dogs totally smile when they are happy!

Attached Files:

47. capri1722

capri1722 c/o 2022

Pharmacy Student
    Went and saw Isn't It Romantic today with my mom. It was…beguiling. ;)

Caiter92 and MSUcvmHOPE like this.
  48. boogercat

49. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Oh my god. This is so dark and I love it :laugh:

boogercat likes this.