Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, not a horse person, but I am also watching LotR and love the Shadowfax scenes :D
I'm sure some of it is good use of camera angles, but the riders in those scenes did a really good job. The one in return of the King where he goes out to meet the nazgul near osgiliath is awesome. When movies have galloping scenes, a lot of times it looks like they are either actively holding back or fake-riding the horses into the ground, and this one is just a really great strong gallop.

It looks like so much fun haha

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Not a horse person, but I was binge watching Longmire on Netflix, and got to this one episode with a barn fire where they took the horse to the vet clinic for hospitalization. Longmire went to visit it, and they had the horse laying down in the stall with a blanket over it, like he was in a human hospital.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Any other horse people out there find movies and TV with riding scenes amusing sometimes?

I just watched an Outlander episode where some british soldiers "chased" some Scottish soldiers on horseback, except they were all doing a very slow collected canter. Like... the type of canter my fat lazy pony tries to pull off as forward movement, but is actually almost backwards.
The most recent Outlander episode has a GREAT clip of a character booking it on a horse with her curly long hair flowing behind her. Ugh, that was visually appealing to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't have to be a food chain. Where's the best place you've ever had a burger.

This whole idea came up when I ordered a burger from 2 different places :bag::oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Photograph of an emergency medicine physician with her dog, taking a break during the COVID-19 pandemic (they are in a hospital somewhere in Colorado).

Everyone needs the love of a sweet dog or a purring cat ... just because pets are soooo amazing! :)

doganddoc.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
It doesn't have to be a food chain. Where's the best place you've ever had a burger.

This whole idea came up when I ordered a burger from 2 different places :bag::oops:

Some place where I got to feed some buffalo then go next door into their restaurant and eat some buffalo. Buffalo burger was good burger. Do not remember what it was called. Too long ago.

I don't eat a lot of burgers though so take my opinion with a heap of salt.

Oh although if we're doing best burgers anywhere...

Overall: Craigie on Main which made the cover of bon appetit

Buuuuut honestly still a toss up between shake shack (double shack) & in n out (double double protein style, no tomato). Must consume with a neapolitan shake.

Special mention for being the bougiest burger I've ever eaten: Lo La 41°, which comes with fois gras sauce. Although I like their tuna burger better than the beef one. Neither one wins best burger.

Omg shake shack is selling @ home burger kits now

"The kit comes with an effective "best before" date of one week, meaning single purchasers will have to eat at least one Shackburger per day to ensure maximum freshness and flavor."

... challenge accepted?

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
My favorite fast food burger is from Freddy’s. Two thin patties with cheese and I get grilled onions, ketchup and mayo bc I like things simple. There was one right by my internship hospital and it was my comfort food after long stressful days. They knew my order when the dog and I pulled up.

Five guys fries are great. Burger is meh and way too expensive by the time you factor in the fries being separate. I ate BurgerFi a lot during residency...it was similar to five guys but slightly cheaper and closer to my house.

Reactions: 2 users
Five guys fries are great. Burger is meh and way too expensive by the time you factor in the fries being separate.
I agree. I've also found the quality of five guys burgers (not the fries) to be highly variable based on location, and their lettuce wrapped burger was tragically disappointing when I moved back from California and was hunting for an In n Out substitute.

View attachment 300790
It’s so damn good I usually take a picture and brag. Look at those grilled jalapeños!!

Also Freddie’s burgers and shakes very underrated.

Oh. My. God. Look at that bun! Oh my god. Look. At. That. Bun!
On a serious note though. I think the sauce (whatever it was) was the best part of the burger.

I'm not a shoestring fries fan. I like 'em thick.

5 guys are not shoe string at all, theyre "homestyle cut" or whatever youd call it from the whole potato.... and you order a small fry every time, cause its overflowing and enough for two people!

Now Freddies... their fries taste great but yeah, the shoestring style isnt cutting it... pun maybe intended?

I am also a big Five Guys fan

In n Out has good burgers, the fries are subpar though so I have a hard time ranking it with my fave places that have good burgers AND fries. They're just so important.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I can't get a burger from any of my favorite places anytime soon so this is a sad conversation

Next round we need to go sandwich shops, cause if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life itd be a Lennys sub with extra hot pepper relish!
I don't think I've ever had Lenny's :thinking:

PEI has an annual “burger love” event every April where restaurants cross the island compete for best custom burger. Us vet students always went together to eat as many as possible over the course of the month. The best one I ever had was one of those :) (It makes me sad to know this probably isn’t happening this year. But you can see previous winners in their website.)

Its not actually on campus (kingston and forest park), but thats how they refer to it cause theres another one at cedar bluff and the newest one further down kingston at Lovell
Oh well then it's 15 minutes away at least, that's out of my usual food range ;)

• Sad