Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes yes that is always the argument. I don't think it counts as good fries if you have to smother them in sauce for them to be edible lol
I agree with this. I deeply love In N Out for the burgers and shakes, but the fries are terrible no matter what they are slathered with. They taste like potato sticks with less flavor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My favorite fast food burger is from Freddy’s. Two thin patties with cheese and I get grilled onions, ketchup and mayo bc I like things simple. There was one right by my internship hospital and it was my comfort food after long stressful days. They knew my order when the dog and I pulled up.

Five guys fries are great. Burger is meh and way too expensive by the time you factor in the fries being separate. I ate BurgerFi a lot during residency...it was similar to five guys but slightly cheaper and closer to my house.
I am a fan of BurgerFi. I will need to try Freddy’s once I eventually go back to school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Next round we need to go sandwich shops, cause if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life itd be a Lennys sub with extra hot pepper relish!
When I moved back from California, I flew back to the east coast with two full sized Jaymee Sirewich sandwiches from Ike's in my carry on. Basically was in tears while I ate them because they're only in the bay area.

... I'm also now realizing that Dubz has seen me hide a philly cheesesteak (from a different place) in my purse "for later." I promise I don't put meat sandwiches in my handbags all the time, despite how this now sounds. Only special occasions.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Next round we need to go sandwich shops, cause if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life itd be a Lennys sub with extra hot pepper relish!
For chains, I like the Banh Mi at WhichWich. For independent places, there used to be a place in Ames that made a curried chicken salad sandwich to die for. Sadly, they are defunct now.

... I'm also now realizing that Dubz has seen me hide a philly cheesesteak (from a different place) in my purse "for later." I promise I don't put meat sandwiches in my handbags all the time, despite how this now sounds. Only special occasions.
This exact incident came to mind while I was reading the first half of your post :laugh:

• Haha
@cubsrule4e don't sad react me! It's open for curbside pickup so I'll probably hit it up for lunch next week just to evaluate your recommendation. You'll have to tell me what I should get though.

Whatever kind of sandiwch you like most, they have most anything, hot or cold. The bread is so fresh, the meat and cheese are sliced off the block as they make it... and then the hot pepper relish (its like a cherry pepper based glaze/sauce) is the ultimate condiment... but obviously only if youre into that kinda thing ;)

Publix subs are consistent and fairly above average for a sandwich. They’re always good and I will never turn one down, but I also do not think they’re life-changing amazing. I do miss Publix though...there’s only Kroger where I live right now.

Publix subs are consistent and fairly above average for a sandwich. They’re always good and I will never turn one down, but I also do not think they’re life-changing amazing. I do miss Publix though...there’s only Kroger where I live right now.
They may not be life-changing amazing but they are definitely my one of my favorites, specifically the chicken tender sub :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man there’s a deli at home called Picasso’s and I love their turkey sandwiches so much. My work used to get food there every now and then and it was one of my favorite days

They may not be life-changing amazing but they are definitely my one of my favorites, specifically the chicken tender sub :laugh:

For sure. Consistently good. I had a Publix just one block from my apartment in my last town. Could order online, go get it, and be back home in under 10 minutes. And the chicken tender sub was definitely my favorite.

I will need to try Freddy’s once I eventually go back to school
Freddy's is pretty decent tbh. Their meat patties are super thin and crispy though.

@Foxhunter recommended Cook Out, and they're amazeballs. Plus their like 40+ flavors of shakes. And a combo is like $5 with two sides. And Cheerwine.

I agree with Pippy's In 'n' Out opinion that their fries are meh but burgers and shakes are pretty good. I'm far far away from CA, UT, TX, AZ and wherever else they are so haven't had enough In 'n' Out in my mouth.

My Dallas trip's hotel was next door to In 'n' Out so I made sure to jump on that. And Whataburger's all over Texas so I had them back-to-back-to-back for fatty science. Whataburger is very high up on my list. :hungry:

I've only had Five Guys in my mouth a few times in my life. First time was heavenly. Recent times just haven't been the same. Definitely have fallen out of love. I'll hit them up ASAP to get another data point.

I'm a basic B, but I like Sonic and Burger King sometimes.

I haven't had Fuddrucker's or Steak 'n' Shake or Culver's or A&W in years/decades so don't remember.

Last edited:
I know who 311 is. They still tour.

I prefer Whataburger but I haven’t been to any fast food burger joint in the better part of a year. The fast foodest thing has been maybe Chik-fil-a, and something like last... October? Maybe? It’s weird but once you stop eating it, it’s hard to go back. Makes you feel gross. I still don’t eat healthy, I just get burgers from the pub that does $5 burger nights and has 300 beers. (Or at least I used to :sad: )

I’d throw in a vote for Little Big Burger if you have been to Portland, OR - they’re good.

Naming the best burger places.
Best Burger in Bozeman, MT. Highly recommend if anyone passes through on a trip to Yellowstone.

Bonus: They will give bacon to your dogs if they're in the car when you go through the drive thru.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

I miss In 'n' Out, haven't had it since high school :(

There's a place in Fort Collins called Stuft that I like a lot, they let you build your own burgers and they're always awesome and perfectly done. I thought it was more of a chain that was all over CO but not in other states, but there are only 2 locations that I can see, so I guess they're not as much of a chain as I thought.

Another place in Fort Collins - Big Al's Burgers and Dogs. Both their burgers and hot dogs are amaaazing.

Not much of a Whataburger burger fan, for whatever reason, but I am obsessed with their breakfast sandwiches so that's usually why I end up there so often.

There's also a place in Corpus called Padre Island Burger Company which is hands down one of the best burgers I've ever had. Also, bonus, they usually have TX beers on special so I can usually eat a burger with like three Shiners and be in my happy place.

Reactions: 2 users
The best burgers I ever had was o so many years ago, in the Dairy Queen that my grandmother ran in Ballinger, TX. soooo good. Next closest was this little gas station/convenience store/restaurant just outside Navasota. o so good. Then I would rank Whataburger's mushroom and swiss, then their one with the chili sauce on it. messy but o so good

Best Burger in Bozeman, MT. Highly recommend if anyone passes through on a trip to Yellowstone.

Bonus: They will give bacon to your dogs if they're in the car when you go through the drive thru.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Do they offer any financial assistance when they get gastritis/pancreatitis/colitis? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Angel's Drive In in Calgary for best burger. Not a huge sandwich fan so it's usually Subway in a rush when it does happen.

Dang, if y’all ever get lonely, just post an ad looking for a summer sublease on a university housing Facebook page and you’ll get more DMs than you know what to do with :rofl:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Who makes good subs? I'm a huge fan of Goodcents (formerly known as Mr. Goodcents) but they're based in KS and the surrounding areas. :hungry: Planet Sub/Yello Sub is also KS based but sooo good.

I got hooked on Jimmy John's but to be honest, their bread is blech, and they overdo the mayo. Chips are amazing though.

Firehouse Subs is really good too.

I miss Quizno's. Haven't seen one in years.

Blimpie?
Jersey Mike's?
Potbelly?

Last edited:
Who makes good subs? I'm a huge fan of Goodcents (formerly known as Mr. Goodcents) but they're based in KS and the surrounding areas. :hungry: Planet Sub/Yello Sub is also KS based but sooo good.

I got hooked on Jimmy John's but to be honest, their bread is blech. Chips are amazing though.

Blimpie?
Jersey Mike's?
Potbelly?
I can't handle Jimmy John's ever since I volunteered to help with foodborne disease outbreak interviews for the state department of public health here and realized how many outbreaks had been traced back to a JJs. Between them and the raw milk people they were the majority of the cases, I swear

• Sad
  • Wow
I can't handle Jimmy John's ever since I volunteered to help with foodborne disease outbreak interviews for the state department of public health here and realized how many outbreaks had been traced back to a JJs. Between them and the raw milk people they were the majority of the cases, I swear
YIKE

I got hooked on Jimmy John's but to be honest, their bread is blech, and they overdo the mayo. Chips are amazing though.

Blimpie?
Jersey Mike's?
Potbelly?
Jersey Mike's is great

I like Jersey Mikes. There’s a JJ in the same shopping center as our one clinic and the franchise owner’s adult son who works there is a total d-bag so I just don’t eat there anyway and it colors my perception of all of them :laugh:

9236CA83-402B-4D4D-BF40-0B88672422AB.jpeg

Lots of interesting creatures this week! A smiling spider! Everyone have a good day! :)

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Shake shack tied with In n Out. How is this even a question?

In n Out yes. I don’t know why their raw onion is so tasty. Shake shack is ok but a bit of a sham. It’s like way more expensive and not worth the line. Not worth the hype IMO.

Tasty Burger by Fenway is amazing and along similar lines.

Fudruckers all the way if you want a big juicy burger. Too bad the closest is in Methuen which is over an hour away. I only go if I have a reason to visit the MSPCA.

What I don’t understand about Five Guys is the sizing of their fries. The cup size is marginally different, but you still get the same extra scoop of fries in the paper bag... Also, my personal experience is that I seriously risk food borne illness every time I go. I still do, but I’ve never experienced so many issues anywhere else as I (and friends/colleagues) have at our local five guys. But it’s like the chipotle phenomenon. I don’t care how unsanitary and gross it is, I’ll still go!

Ok, so our goofy, self-proclaimed "bird dog" has just been outside barking her fool head off for the last 30 minutes. Went to try to figure out what she was barking at...(was someone trying to steal the tractor?) nope. I look up, there are two buzzards sitting on our power pole. Just sitting, looking at her like she is a little crazy dog. I will see if I can get hubby to send me the picture.

We say she is a "bird dog" because she goes nuts when she sees birds in the yard. She tries to chase them...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users