Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do people buy their business casual clothes on a budget? My go-to is usually Old Navy, but they can be hit or miss.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do people buy their business casual clothes on a budget? My go-to is usually Old Navy, but they can be hit or miss.
I wouldn’t say it’s specifically “budget” prices, but Banana Republic Factory Store is pretty inexpensive for what you get. Especially for the quality.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Second the thrift or next to new type stores. I made it through 4th year by repeating clothes when scrubs were not allowed but I am totes a scrub person so I did that as much as I could.

when I got my first job, went the second-hand store route, and still didn’t wear most as soon as I found out I could wear scrubs 24/7.

Disclaimer: I hate clothes and the majority of shopping.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Second the thrift or next to new type stores. I made it through 4th year by repeating clothes when scrubs were not allowed but I am totes a scrub person so I did that as much as I could.

when I got my first job, went the second-hand store route, and still didn’t wear most as soon as I found out I could wear scrubs 24/7.

Disclaimer: I hate clothes and the majority of shopping.
I knew I loved you. If I could just wear scrubs everyday for the rest of my life I'd be so happy.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks guys!

The only comfortable bottoms I have gotten were from Old Navy, their pixie chinos. Really love them, they feel like leggings but look professional. Once things open up again, I think try to go there for bottoms and visit other places you recommended if that doesn’t work out (having curves makes it hard to find good bottoms at thrift stores). I’ll definitely thrift tops!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

The only comfortable bottoms I have gotten were from Old Navy, their pixie chinos. Really love them, they feel like leggings but look professional. Once things open up again, I think try to go there for bottoms and visit other places you recommended if that doesn’t work out (having curves makes it hard to find good bottoms at thrift stores). I’ll definitely thrift tops!
I got these lovely dress pants at kohl’s in January and they have a stretchy waistband and aren’t horrendously expensive and usually kohl’s has coupons or sales Kohls

I've had good luck at JCPenney, specifically their Worthington brand.

Reactions: 1 users
I got these lovely dress pants at kohl’s in January and they have a stretchy waistband and aren’t horrendously expensive and usually kohl’s has coupons or sales Kohls

I got my dress pants by the same brand at Kohl’s and the petite length is actually good on me! They don’t have the same type anymore though so I might try these :)

Members don't see this ad :)
some-of-the-locals_full.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Ok tooootally random but was anyone else taught in sex ed class to use dental dams for safe oral sex?

(when I just googled the term dental dam because I wasn’t sure that’s what it was called, this cdc page was the first thing that popped up. So I guess it is a thing. How to Use a Dental Dam | CDC)

• Hmm
Ok tooootally random but was anyone else taught in sex ed class to use dental dams for safe oral sex?

(when I just googled the term dental dam because I wasn’t sure that’s what it was called, this cdc page was the first thing that popped up. So I guess it is a thing. How to Use a Dental Dam | CDC)
Yes, I heard this all the time in my sex ed classes. Sometimes I wondered if they just wanted to talk about something they could direct toward lesbians, but these were deep red states and they definitely wouldn't have targeted anything at LGBT folks specifically unless it was telling them that anal sex would give them AIDS.

Yes, I heard this all the time in my sex ed classes. Sometimes I wondered if they just wanted to talk about something they could direct toward lesbians, but these were deep red states and they definitely wouldn't have targeted anything at LGBT folks specifically unless it was telling them that anal sex would give them AIDS.
Lol I was in a super blue LGBT loving area, so I think these were equal opportunity dams

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that dental dams exist was mentioned in mine, but never instructions or further info than that. TX/NC so fairly conservative (abstinence only) sex ed classes both.

Yes was taught about these in high school (CO)

We were talking about horses on TV in this thread, right?

I just watched a "vet" in a Murder She Wrote episode go up to a racehorse, slap his stethoscope on the right mid-abdomen roughly cranial to the cecum, and say "yep he's as sound as a million bucks!"

Lol I love this show

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
We were talking about horses on TV in this thread, right?

I just watched a "vet" in a Murder She Wrote episode go up to a racehorse, slap his stethoscope on the right mid-abdomen roughly cranial to the cecum, and say "yep he's as sound as a million bucks!"

Lol I love this show
Hope that currency is stable

• Haha
Have any of y’all purchased one of the foam mattresses in a box? Ex: Tuft & Needle, Nectar, etc? If so, did you like it/any recommendations? Mr. Ceph and I are thinking about getting one.

Have any of y’all purchased one of the foam mattresses in a box? Ex: Tuft & Needle, Nectar, etc? If so, did you like it/any recommendations? Mr. Ceph and I are thinking about getting one.
I purchased a foam mattress from Wayfair about a year ago that came compressedin a box. This was a year ago, so I can't speak to longevity but I have been very happy with the comfort for the price.

Yep. I got one from amazon that I would have to look up brand, but I’ve had for a year and it’s been very comfy.

I purchased a mattress in a box about 2 years ago (can't tell you if it is a foam one or not either). I honestly don't recall from where or what brand. I have laid on it a few times and it seems comfortable enough, though it is in the guest bedroom so I don't regularly use it so can't comment on its long-term comfort level. I can tell you getting it out of the box and onto the bed frame was a hilarious endeavor.

So it was a queen sized mattress, I get home from work one night and see it had been delivered, sitting just behind the wall to my patio. Figure probably easiest to pull it in through the garage. Proceed to me flipping this award shaped box end over end until I got it into the garage and then pushing it up to the door. I then lifted up one half and placed it just inside the house... then pushed it in some, but of course the box was long, so I had to keep adjusting the angle.

So got it into the house and it kind of just sat in front of this nook area I have just in front of the garage. Proceed to day to put up the mattress. I first spent a few hours putting together the bed frame that I had also ordered... by myself. Living alone definitely makes putting large things together much more interesting. I have come up with very unique ways to stabilize objects while working on the opposite end.

Anyway, I go and open the box to this mattress and it is rolled up and vacuum wrapped up in numerous thick packages. So get it out of box and decide it would be best to push/drag it into bedroom in the wrapping. Except, I can't tell which part of the mattress is going to be the "top" and which will be the "foot" of the mattress while it is sealed. So think, that is ok, I can figure it out once it is open. Now this isn't a large bedroom and let me tell you, once you free the mattress from its package it goes from nice and rolled to "holy giant queen sized mattress" rather quickly. I didn't know this, so I cut open the wrapper and then finally find myself stuck in a bedroom with a giant package that is now under the mattress and a giant mattress that I somehow have to maneuver the right way up and oriented properly onto the bed frame... oh and I am partially stuck under said mattress in a corner.

I somehow manage to get unstuck and shimmy my way over the mattress. This thing is heavy. I get the packaging cleared out of the room. And I realized that of course the easiest way to flip the mattress would result in it being upside down. Sigh. Flip it that way onto the bed frame first, then figure out how to use the bed frame to help balance the mattress while I flip and turn it the right way. Then I get it dropped onto the bed frame, the right way finally, except you can't just push it onto the bed frame because there are sticky things on the frame to keep the mattress from easily sliding. So I have to physically lift and push/wiggle-wobble the mattress all the way onto the frame.

And that is how I finally got the box mattress onto the bed frame alone.
Tip: Open the mattress in a larger area first, to determine its top/bottom/head/foot first, then push it to the bedroom it needs to be in.
Second Tip: Put the cat away so she doesn't keep trying to "help" in the process. :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Interesting. How firm are these mattresses? I haven't been involved in a mattress purchase since I was a freshman in high school (my parents bought new ones while I was away in college) and I haven't heard of foam mattresses before (aside from, like, memory foam)

Need something to cheer you up?

Bubble wrap!

pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop!

Stolen from reddit but still amazing

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

We have a tuft & needle and have been very happy with it.
Same. We have purchased 3. Two queens, one of which we gifted to MIL and then a king. All amazing, and we always get compliments from guests

Need something to cheer you up?

Bubble wrap!

pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop! pop!

Stolen from reddit but still amazing
I popped them all this was enjoyable

Reactions: 4 users
Late, but I also purchased a Tuft & Needle queen-sized foam mattress when moving into the new apartment and I've been extremely pleased with it so far!

Interesting. How firm are these mattresses? I haven't been involved in a mattress purchase since I was a freshman in high school (my parents bought new ones while I was away in college) and I haven't heard of foam mattresses before (aside from, like, memory foam)
A little firm for me at first but Mrs Paws loves it and I can't feel her restless leg syndrome anymore. After sleeping on it for 5+ years would never go back to pillow-top. You can trial for 90 days and if you dont like it they refund and allow you to donate the mattress

I did it wrong at first. I selected them all and thought, "Huh, makes me thinknof bubble wrap," and kept scrolling.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
A little firm for me at first but Mrs Paws loves it and I can't feel her restless leg syndrome anymore. After sleeping on it for 5+ years would never go back to pillow-top. You can trial for 90 days and if you dont like it they refund and allow you to donate the mattress
I love firm mattresses so this sound ideal. Keeping in the back burner for after I graduate

There is a tuft and needle show room in Seattle so I tried it out, but it actually wasn't firm enough for me. Echoing 3M, I ended up buying a hybrid mattress off of Amazon, and I'm pretty sure the brand was legit Compfy (with a p) for a very good price. Then, it was a little too firm but still comfortable. I added a 2-inch foam topper around Christmas and it's perfect. The total cost for both was under $450.

Last edited:
I spent quite a bit of money on a mattress when I furnished my apartment in October. I ended up getting a hybrid Sealy and I love it. I didn’t like the way I completely sunk into the memory foam only ones. With the hybrid I get a little molding from the memory foam layers but the coils deep below give more support. Downside is it was more expensive than the bed in a box type stuff.

What is even more enjoyable is getting one of those mattresses in a box and while it is still vacuum wrapped and rolled, taking a scissor and cutting the plastic open really fast. That mother****er unrolls itself and pops itself up into a full size mattress in seconds. The first time, I just stood there with my mouth gaped open cause I couldn’t wrap my mind around it. Suuuper satisfying.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
There's this show I've watched called Midsomer Murders that has a drinking game to go with it because some of the cliches are just ridiculous. One of the reasons to drink is this sound effect that the show puts into just about every episode: a fox cry. It's supposed to take place in a rural area, I guess there are foxes around at night, and they use the same darn sound every time so it's kind of funny. So I'm sitting here tonight, waiting for the WW lynch to close, and I swear I hear that exact same sound coming from my back yard. Some stupid fox is shouting his head off and it sounds exactly like that murder mystery show and now I want a drink.

• Haha
What is even more enjoyable is getting one of those mattresses in a box and while it is still vacuum wrapped and rolled, taking a scissor and cutting the plastic open really fast. That mother****er unrolls itself and pops itself up into a full size mattress in seconds. The first time, I just stood there with my mouth gaped open cause I couldn’t wrap my mind around it. Suuuper satisfying.

Just don't do this in a small room. Otherwise, you become comically trapped. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
There's this show I've watched called Midsomer Murders that has a drinking game to go with it because some of the cliches are just ridiculous. One of the reasons to drink is this sound effect that the show puts into just about every episode: a fox cry. It's supposed to take place in a rural area, I guess there are foxes around at night, and they use the same darn sound every time so it's kind of funny. So I'm sitting here tonight, waiting for the WW lynch to close, and I swear I hear that exact same sound coming from my back yard. Some stupid fox is shouting his head off and it sounds exactly like that murder mystery show and now I want a drink.

But actually how is that show? It shows up in my recommendations allllll the time.

• Haha
What is up with boomers and their compulsive need to repost those “if you cared about me and consider me a true friend, you would copy and paste this on your wall too” nonsense?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users