Random Stuffs

Started by PetPony
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sounds like there wasn't initially enough panic about the situation from a public health perspective

This same situation happened in Denver when a rescue brought up a group of puppies from Texas that were exposed to a skunk. To be fair, they didn't know initially that they had been exposed to the skunk.

HOWEVER, when they learned about the skunk, they didn't take it seriously. The litter of puppies exposed dozens of people at an adoption event and literally all but maybe one puppy ended up testing positive. The group tried to demonize public health because of the forced euthanasia of the pups for testing and mislead the the public into thinking that euthanasia wasn't required for testing 🙄

unless they're made to, but how good is contact tracing for something like this?

With the above event I mentioned, it's actually pretty good, at least in Denver. I'm pretty sure that they found most people who interacted with the puppies at the adoption event. The motivation to not have dead kids on the local level is pretty strong.
 
This same situation happened in Denver when a rescue brought up a group of puppies from Texas that were exposed to a skunk. To be fair, they didn't know initially that they had been exposed to the skunk.

HOWEVER, when they learned about the skunk, they didn't take it seriously. The litter of puppies exposed dozens of people at an adoption event and literally all but maybe one puppy ended up testing positive. The group tried to demonize public health because of the forced euthanasia of the pups for testing and mislead the the public into thinking that euthanasia wasn't required for testing 🙄
I remember that case; what an absolute fiasco. Never have I seen so many internet randos trying to justify that rabies isn't that dangerous 🤦‍♀️
 
I remember that case; what an absolute fiasco. Never have I seen so many internet randos trying to justify that rabies isn't that dangerous 🤦‍♀️

My ER kept a rabies exposed puppy for 3 months on the dime of the clients and he was home quarantined an extra month. He was exposed at 12 weeks by a bat in his house. I tell that to clients every time they want to skip rabies. I don't understand why people are so cavalier
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly the petting zoo owner should face some sort of repercussions for this. Idk if there is anything that she can get charged with (endangering the public? idk) but due to what is likely sheer ignorance/stupidity, she exposed maybe 100s to a 99.99999999% fatal virus. she most likely didn't even contact a vet until symptoms started, but you'd think livestock owners would have somewhat of a handle on skunk/raccoon = bad.

But then again I think people forget about skunks. Vast majority of the public will only link bats and raccoons with rabies. But also she still included unvaccinated animals as part of the animals she transported to events which is stupid no matter what
 
Honestly the petting zoo owner should face some sort of repercussions for this. Idk if there is anything that she can get charged with (endangering the public? idk) but due to what is likely sheer ignorance/stupidity, she exposed maybe 100s to a 99.99999999% fatal virus.
She made several posts after the skunk had been killed about one of the kids "Molly", who had a rather large and angry looking bite wound on her leg, acting ill and being intensely pruritic at the bite site, so she was taking care of her inside her home and sleeping with her (another shows she took "Molly" on an 8 HOUR ROAD TRIP while symptomatic). I think this woman might be cooked
IMG_3550.jpeg
 
She made several posts after the skunk had been killed about one of the kids "Molly", who had a rather large and angry looking bite wound on her leg, acting ill and being intensely pruritic at the bite site, so she was taking care of her inside her home and sleeping with her (another shows she took "Molly" on an 8 HOUR ROAD TRIP while symptomatic). I think this woman might be cooked
View attachment 424125
Is the page still active?! I can't find it.

Also I could have sworn that I read an article that said she had insisted there was no reason to think the skunks harmed the goats?
 
Is the page still active?! I can't find it.

Also I could have sworn that I read an article that said she had insisted there was no reason to think the skunks harmed the goats?
I got it from this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/NorthCarolina/s/1cBNpIY5Zr.

I wouldn't be surprised if she did say that, in one of the comments she says the wound was probably the skunk bite and then literally a sentence later says "we can be sure it appeared weeks later and showed no sign of a biting".
 
Calling all younglings!

As many of you know, I think social media is the tool of everything that's unholy and I quit socials (except snapchat 😅) about two or two and a half years ago.

When I was on the socials, I really enjoyed Lady Spine Doc, particularly when she defended vets against another human doctor social media influencer who complained about the cost of an ER visit.

She was supposed to be the keynote speaker at VECCS this year, but got an email that they have a new speaker and she's no longer listed in the app. A quick Google before my too early shower showed she's developed some controversial situations since the last I saw a video of hers.

For anyone in the know, can someone give me a breakdown of what's happened? I was looking forward to her speaking!! Was this a case of ultimate power (too big of a social media influencer) lead to corrupting power? If so, just reinforces my priors on social media as a cancer on society. 😅🫠
 
Calling all younglings!

As many of you know, I think social media is the tool of everything that's unholy and I quit socials (except snapchat 😅) about two or two and a half years ago.

When I was on the socials, I really enjoyed Lady Spine Doc, particularly when she defended vets against another human doctor social media influencer who complained about the cost of an ER visit.

She was supposed to be the keynote speaker at VECCS this year, but got an email that they have a new speaker and she's no longer listed in the app. A quick Google before my too early shower showed she's developed some controversial situations since the last I saw a video of hers.

For anyone in the know, can someone give me a breakdown of what's happened? I was looking forward to her speaking!! Was this a case of ultimate power (too big of a social media influencer) lead to corrupting power? If so, just reinforces my priors on social media as a cancer on society. 😅🫠
OKAY so as someone who is a certified insta/fb reel scroller, there is definitely MAJOR **** that's come out about lady spine doc. Yes, I love that vet-defending video she made, but there are a lot (and like, a lot, not just one random person) of allegations coming out about how she actually treats people, the type of medicine she practices, etc. I'll send you a reel next time I come across one. There is at least one person whose made it a mission to expose her, which on one hand give me a break, but on the other, go off because too many people seem to be suffering from a split personality disorder these days.
 
OKAY so as someone who is a certified insta/fb reel scroller, there is definitely MAJOR **** that's come out about lady spine doc. Yes, I love that vet-defending video she made, but there are a lot (and like, a lot, not just one random person) of allegations coming out about how she actually treats people, the type of medicine she practices, etc. I'll send you a reel next time I come across one. There is at least one person whose made it a mission to expose her, which on one hand give me a break, but on the other, go off because too many people seem to be suffering from a split personality disorder these days
Not to mention using her children to promote her brand which I think is gross. Any form of using/posting your children (especially young kids who don't understand the implications) on social media when you have a following is exploitative and an invasion of privacy, imo.
 
Not to mention using her children to promote her brand which I think is gross. Any form of using/posting your children (especially young kids who don't understand the implications) on social media when you have a following is exploitative and an invasion of privacy, imo.
Ya that’s like there’s this big baby picture contest with a big prize i see all these people entering and yet they’re unaware the company is giving the picture to AI and we all know about that recent ruling about how AI generated child SA images are protected under free speech and not a crime!
 
Not to mention using her children to promote her brand which I think is gross. Any form of using/posting your children (especially young kids who don't understand the implications) on social media when you have a following is exploitative and an invasion of privacy, imo.
How would 99% of mommy influencers generate content if they don't make their kids act out skits over and over again until everything is just right? It's basically child acting without the (already minimal) protections in place for working children.

When I was working at my first FT zoo job, I came across a wannabe mommy influencer on Insta that lived in my apartment complex (because her apartment was identical to mine, it was actually kind of jarring). I actually saw her outside with her little girls a few times after that and she was basically just chasing them around with her camera or using a tripod to film herself while 'playing' with the kids. I also think she would just set up her tripod and record the entire day inside their apartment because she just had so much footage? it was crazy. And also made me realize that by sheer chance, because I recognized the appearance of her apartment, I knew exactly what complex she lived in (because it was mine obvi) and what floor plan she had (because also mine). From there it wouldn't have been much more effort to figure out exactly which apartment she lived in...that's so dangerous
 
I have a bad cold or possibly COVID. I got sent home sick from work and hope it doesn’t end up on my evaluation. I feel like crap, but it has actually been kind of nice to get the break and have an excuse to stay in bed and not clean/meal prep/do laundry/run errands/take care of anyone today (Saturday). It is so hard to be an adult and work full time because weekends are for catching up on all of the stuff I didn’t do all week because I was at work.
 
Last edited:
Anyone seen any particularly good Labor Day sales on products they love? Especially home products since I'm buying new things for the new house. The vacuum discussion was so good I was wondering if people had other recommendations, haha.

So far I've bought BOGO-free Tempurpedic pillows, sheets and towels, two dog beds, and some jeans.

The product I'll swear by is the Mississippi Made Donut dog bed at Hollywood Feed. Very durable, cover completely zips off of the bottom cushion and the bolster to wash. They aren't cheap but they're on a very good sale right now. We have five of them at my current house and they're over 7 years old and all but one still look great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would love people's opinions on outdoor dog beds!!!
We have this one on our porch. https://a.co/d/0cNko1C4
Bought it in 2021 and it still looks like new. It's been outside but on the covered patio all that time. The dogs don't use it a whole lot because they'd rather bake themselves in the grass or on the hot concrete, but sometimes Murphy will use it. I think my boys prefer cushier beds over the cot style, but I'd buy it again.

Edit: In the past we had an outdoor bed from Ruffwear. The Urban Sprawl or something? I don't think they make it anymore...I had mixed feelings on that one. It had a rubber bottom and was a solid 4" of padding which I liked, but I thought it was way overpriced for what it was, even with the significant vet discount.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning this bc I love my tempurpedic pillow but it's been pretty worn out and this post prompted me to go replace it.
I love my Tempurpedic Cloud pillow. Mine are a couple years old…not dead yet but they can go be the guest room pillows and I can get new ones, especially at 50% off. I’ve been price watching on Amazon for a while and they hadn’t gone on sale at all, but thanks to targeted social media ads I saw the sale post.
 
Seeking NYC recommendations! We have a wedding in October and will have 3.5 days for touristy stuff. And a 6 month old on her first trip!

Also seeking suggestions from fellow parents about the stroller sitch. I'm reading different things for whether or not a stroller is a big PITA in a crowded city, and that many restaurants/shops won't be able to accommodate even though ours is super lightweight and folds down decently. We have a carrier we like, but wearing her ALL day seems like a lot.
 
Seeking NYC recommendations! We have a wedding in October and will have 3.5 days for touristy stuff. And a 6 month old on her first trip!

Also seeking suggestions from fellow parents about the stroller sitch. I'm reading different things for whether or not a stroller is a big PITA in a crowded city, and that many restaurants/shops won't be able to accommodate even though ours is super lightweight and folds down decently. We have a carrier we like, but wearing her ALL day seems like a lot.
My parents are both from Long Island so I spend a decent amount of time in NY visiting family. The local (My mom) says:

FAO Schwartz, Katz’s Deli, Carnegie Deli, the zoo, museum of natural history, Paris baguette

“8th street has the best pizza but it’s a little shady”

People definitely use strollers in the city, you shouldn’t have a problem!

Idk if you play games but the Nintendo store is epic
 
Last edited:
My parents are both from Long Island so I spend a decent amount of time in NY visiting family. The local (My mom) says:

FAO Schwartz, Katz’s Deli, Carnegie Deli, the zoo, museum of natural history, Paris baguette

“8th street has the best pizza but it’s a little shady”

People definitely use strollers in the city, you shouldn’t have a problem!

Idk if you play games but the Nintendo store is epic
Ahhh we might check out the Nintendo store! We went to one in Japan and that was a lot of fun. Thank your mom for me!
 
I literally have no idea this girls post was randomly suggested to me on Facebook so I thought maybe someone here would know
One of her posts came up on my feed too!! It sounds like they aren’t renewing one of their like two LA-ACVIMs, (with legit no replacement) who it sounds like is not only an excellent clinician but a great teacher and human being. I haven’t been able to hear more specifics beyond the fact that he went to admin over treatment of an animal (by another clinician I believe) and this is retaliation for speaking up.
 
MSU is experiencing a campus wide black out from power loss. It’s so bad we are canceling classes, including clinical rotations, and moving to zoom. The veterinary hospital is closed to everything but emergencies. Emergencies are very limited and many are being told to go elsewhere for care.

It’s wild over here
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jump scare this morning when i sat down and someone in my class asked "are you breezywonton?" 🫪
Someone did this to me before and I was like huh how'd you figure it out (obviously Juno is not my real name)? They replied it's because they saw my many Jojo's Bizarre Adventure t-shirts and then all the references on this account so they made a safe assumption 💀
 
The trick is to stare blankly at them for a long time and then feign ignorance convincingly.
lol my first week I was hanging out with new friends who were in my orientation group and they started talking about sdn and that they were on here (but minimally active for the like 3 of them) and they were saying “I wonder who skiotter is. I wanna find out who in our class that is” and I’m just sitting there with that blank stare like I don’t know wtf sdn is
 
With my OG name.... It was fairly obvious 😅
This is how we became Facebook buddies 100 years ago!

I don't think anyone has perceived me, at least that I can remember. There were several users from my class, but they all stopped logging in shortly after starting school, and definitely by the time we hit clinics/graduated. One actually picked a fight with me on SDN, but then was chatting with me like normal the next day, so I think my anonymity was pretty secure back then lol.

"Huh. The schools really do sus this place out."
Yes, yes they do! I'll never understand the people that come on here with their full on name as their username (or like your OG name) and then start talking the craziest crap. I may or may not have had to make sure I wasn't interviewing at least one SDN user in the past cycle or two because I knew exactly who they were.

If you're not worried about the schools seeing what you say (you should be), at least consider your future classmates/colleagues. But then again, I don't think these particular individuals care about the impressions they make all that much...
 
My school emailed me and said I won some kind of award which will be presented next Thursday. I assumed it was a mistake because I didn't apply for anything so I went to the awards office, they confirmed I did win something but they're not allowed to tell me what it is. I have no idea what it could be because it's not like I've done any externships or clinic work and my grades are fine but definitely not the best. The email says it's a fancy event with reception and ceremony. I honestly want to email and ask someone else to accept it for me because I'm so out of my depth, the fanciest thing I own is coveralls, I don't even have a "business casual" outfit. And I have no understanding of bourgeoisie etiquette so I feel like I'm just going to make a fool of myself.
 
My school emailed me and said I won some kind of award which will be presented next Thursday. I assumed it was a mistake because I didn't apply for anything so I went to the awards office, they confirmed I did win something but they're not allowed to tell me what it is. I have no idea what it could be because it's not like I've done any externships or clinic work and my grades are fine but definitely not the best. The email says it's a fancy event with reception and ceremony. I honestly want to email and ask someone else to accept it for me because I'm so out of my depth, the fanciest thing I own is coveralls, I don't even have a "business casual" outfit. And I have no understanding of bourgeoisie etiquette so I feel like I'm just going to make a fool of myself.
Congrats!
Imo I think you should go because you deserve it!

Don't worry too much about manners or social rules; sure it's a "fancy" event, but it's a fancy event full of academics 😅. No different than a conference event or your graduation!

Maybe check thrift stores for a simple professional outfit and/or ask your friends if they have anything you can borrow. Your school might even have a business wear closet. You don't need to be black tie or anything unless they gave you a dress code.

You got this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!
Imo I think you should go because you deserve it!

Don't worry too much about manners or social rules; sure it's a "fancy" event, but it's a fancy event full of academics 😅. No different than a conference event or your graduation!

Maybe check thrift stores for a simple professional outfit and/or ask your friends if they have anything you can borrow. Your school might even have a business wear closet. You don't need to be black tie or anything unless they gave you a dress code.

You got this!
Totally agree with all of this!
 
Does anyone have recommendations for complete noise cancelling headphones? I can’t concentrate when people are talking which makes it hard to study at the vet school. I bought a ~$100 pair off Amazon but they don’t work as well as I was hoping. Like I can still fully hear people chatting
 
Does anyone have recommendations for complete noise cancelling headphones? I can’t concentrate when people are talking which makes it hard to study at the vet school. I bought a ~$100 pair off Amazon but they don’t work as well as I was hoping. Like I can still fully hear people chatting
Around Black Friday you can find Beats for close to 1/2 off, and they work pretty well.

Personally, I use earplugs with my over-ear headphones and just turn up my volume a bit 😅 Much cheaper and works pretty dang well
 
As much as I hate to say it, my AirPod pro 2s were the best noise cancelling I ever got. They often go on sale for <$150 during the major holidays, but I got my pair as a gift. They last about 5 years, which is pretty good for something I used almost every day.

I also really like the noise cancelling on my JBL Live Beam 3. Also paid around $150. The bud version (don’t have a stem like the AirPods) are currently on sale at BestBuy for $130. ETA: for reference, they are $230 full price so that’s almost 50% off and I’ve never seen them that cheap. My complaint is they auto pair to your smartphone and you have to manually pair them to your computer each time you use it.

Disclaimer: I am a former music student with hella sensitive ear canals so I do not play when it comes to comfort and usability, even if I have to pay a bit more