Random Stuffs

Started by PetPony
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Another vote for not weird. When I was in college living across the street from the university, I couldn’t have really told you how old my neighbors were. It’s not like you’re a senior citizen. As long as you’re not hosting parties for them and stay friendly but professional, I don’t see any issue with it.
 
So, the one pet-friendly apartment I found is across from the state university in the town where I will work. Almost all of their business is the university, naturally. I am 31. My employer also has a generous tuition reimbursement policy, so I plan to take some grad classes at the university to get more certifications, but I will mostly just be working. I don’t want to be creepy living there in my 30s while teaching high school. What do you think? Weird? Not weird?
Nah not weird. I lived in near-campus housing in grad school with a non-student roommate, even though all of our neighbors were undergrad students lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Today at a dog scentwork trial, someone asked me if my dog was a Dandie Dinmont.

Dandie:
View attachment 421951View attachment 421952

Henry:
View attachment 421953View attachment 421954View attachment 421955

Uncanny resemblance, there. I just said no.
giphy.gif
 
So, the one pet-friendly apartment I found is across from the state university in the town where I will work. Almost all of their business is the university, naturally. I am 31. My employer also has a generous tuition reimbursement policy, so I plan to take some grad classes at the university to get more certifications, but I will mostly just be working. I don’t want to be creepy living there in my 30s while teaching high school. What do you think? Weird? Not weird?
I vote go for it. If it’s a nice place and affordable for you and allows you to have pets, who cares if it’s across from the university.
 
So, the one pet-friendly apartment I found is across from the state university in the town where I will work. Almost all of their business is the university, naturally. I am 31. My employer also has a generous tuition reimbursement policy, so I plan to take some grad classes at the university to get more certifications, but I will mostly just be working. I don’t want to be creepy living there in my 30s while teaching high school. What do you think? Weird? Not weird?
Not weird. Housing is housing.
 
So, the one pet-friendly apartment I found is across from the state university in the town where I will work. Almost all of their business is the university, naturally. I am 31. My employer also has a generous tuition reimbursement policy, so I plan to take some grad classes at the university to get more certifications, but I will mostly just be working. I don’t want to be creepy living there in my 30s while teaching high school. What do you think? Weird? Not weird?
FWIW, many people of different ages rent the flats next to the colleges and universities in my county, including students, non-students and working adults.

Glad you found a pet-friendly place!
 
The newest 2 eaglets at Big Bear Mountain are cute ... and hungry!

Sending Congratulations to Jackie and Shadow on the birth of their beautiful new eaglets!

View attachment 417537View attachment 417540

1784913519931.png

[Photo Credit: FOBBV website]
GOOD NEWS! :biglove:

Multi-Million Dollar Donation to Purchase and Preserve 63-Acres of Big Bear Bald Eagle and Wildlife Habitat!


"Jackie" the Bald Eagle female co-parent of this young eagle family, was rescued and transported to a raptor care facility in connection with medical issues.

Jackie's medical plight and the potential sale of the land surrounding her eagle nest as well as other wildlife, attacted worldwide attention, including the generosity of a billionaire married couple who made a large cash donation to purchase and preserve the land.

Now, the 63-acres of undisturbed forested open space and shoreline used by Jackie and Shadow, the beloved Big Bear bald eagle pair, will be preserved for wildlife forever!

Jackie & Shadow Bald Eagle Family Story!
 
Last edited:
Discuss...
OR Vet Clinic Sues Over AI

Overall Im confused from reading the article and why they're suing Zoetis. Like our job is to double check the technology. Even if they would've known it was aggressive cancer from FNA its still very possible the pet could've needed revision sx and died during the revision sx/complications from in this scenario. Idk something seems off. Maybe the owners are mad and the clinic is hiding behind the zoetis lawsuit? But yeah technology sometimes fails and we should use our brain/best judgement...just my thoughts.
 
Discuss...
OR Vet Clinic Sues Over AI

Overall Im confused from reading the article and why they're suing Zoetis. Like our job is to double check the technology. Even if they would've known it was aggressive cancer from FNA its still very possible the pet could've needed revision sx and died during the revision sx/complications from in this scenario. Idk something seems off. Maybe the owners are mad and the clinic is hiding behind the zoetis lawsuit? But yeah technology sometimes fails and we should use our brain/best judgement...just my thoughts.
Exactly! If you’re using AI to consult you need to double check everything. Like I use primveterinary as a nice quick textbook resource because it provides citations that are accurate. It has a consultation feature, but often times I don’t feel like it gets the situation correct, and can misdiagnose depending on how I word prompts
 
Discuss...
OR Vet Clinic Sues Over AI

Overall Im confused from reading the article and why they're suing Zoetis. Like our job is to double check the technology. Even if they would've known it was aggressive cancer from FNA its still very possible the pet could've needed revision sx and died during the revision sx/complications from in this scenario. Idk something seems off. Maybe the owners are mad and the clinic is hiding behind the zoetis lawsuit? But yeah technology sometimes fails and we should use our brain/best judgement...just my thoughts.

We use imagyst to send to a pathologist directly. I've used it twice this week alone after being like, "That looks like lymphoma" and "that looks like melanoma". The pathologist confirmed my suspicions. Zoetis has the capability for clinics and hospitals to do that. So it's on the doctor for relying on the AI exclusively vs a pathologist.

To me, this is no different than relying on AI for records or diagnosis. You're supposed to double check it. It's not the doctor.
 
I feel like our users here are pretty unanimously distrustful of AI but a lot of our human and animal peers already are leaning into it heavily so this won't be the last time.

I will say that we are far more likely to forgive a human consultant for a medical error than we would be of a machine, yet we also expect humans to be far more accurate than the machines. Interesting dichotomy. I can't say I disagree with the idea of suing a company for claiming their tech is accurate, but I also am in no way familiar with this machine or how accurate they claim it to actually be. Their website says it will 'accurately diagnose lymph node/SC masses.' But the extra layer of 'Zoetis is responsible for this dog's death' is where they lose me
 
, yet we also expect humans to be far more accurate than the machines.

This is actually a great point in general. The point in relying on a machine is that it's better than people. Self driving cars are at least 10x safer than human drivers (as theyve been currently tested). I don't know what the accuracy is on average for AI vs a pathologist. That would probably be the sticking point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is actually a great point in general. The point in relying on a machine is that it's better than people. Self driving cars are at least 10x safer than human drivers (as theyve been currently tested). I don't know what the accuracy is on average for AI vs a pathologist. That would probably be the sticking point.
I’m not speaking for any one system in particular but the one I’m most familiar with is supposedly designed to have a high specificity, meaning it has really stringent rules on what it calls so that it hopefully isn’t “wrong” when it does give an answer but because of that it may not give answers all the time and then you can always send it to a real person (for an added fee of course). But the machines can’t synthesize history and clinical context…that’s where the human is needed, whether that’s a pathologist or the clinician. But even regular cyto we consider an “interpretation” and not a “diagnosis” and the onus is on the clinician to put the pieces together and make the ultimate decision for a patient.

Edit: I also think it’s on the vet to know the limitations of a test you’re selling to a client. Of course I hope the company is telling you everything transparently, but why are we running and relying on tests we don’t understand? You should be asking the companies what the limitations are and what validation has been done. When I was a resident another resident ordered a “bench jones protein screen” because it sounded useful not realizing it was just a urine protein by SSA which they’d ALREADY gotten as part of a regular UA. They didn’t know what they were ordering. We declined to do the test again.
 
Last edited:
This is actually a great point in general. The point in relying on a machine is that it's better than people. Self driving cars are at least 10x safer than human drivers (as theyve been currently tested). I don't know what the accuracy is on average for AI vs a pathologist. That would probably be the sticking point.

To add to this point, even though the machines have been tested overall to make fewer mistakes than people, we are in a place right now where people are still held liable for machines’ mistakes. My coworker’s husband’s Tesla, while in self-driving mode, slammed on its brakes on a 2-lane rural highway because there was a box in the road it thought was a person. The car behind them who hit them was totaled and the driver of the other car broke their arm and my coworker’s husband was found at fault and he/his insurance was financially liable for all of it. Until the automated machines are perfect, a person still needs to be filling in the gaps because courts have decided people are ultimately liable for what their machines do.
 
Last edited:
House of the dragon spoilers because I need to yell into the void

first off STOPPPPPP WITH THE ALICENT/AEMOND INCEST!!!!! I wanted to THROW UP at the beginning omg even if it was just a dream. I swear to god this entire show has just devolved into “how many ways can we traumatize Alicent”. Like she is awful but also it’s like the writers get off on specifically doing nasty harm to her

Speaking of harm I’m crying again when the dragons get hurt 😭😭 I read the book and I know what happens and man I’m not ready for it. I feel so bad for sheepstealer 🙁 poor baby didn’t understand what was happening and he was just trying to protect his rider who he chose as his. And then they left him behind hurt 😭😭 and baby syrax is not meant for battle 😭😭😭 and best boy sunfyre rallied for his boy 😭😭

I’m actually not going to survive tumbleton next week. Because if I remember that’s silverwing, vermithor, seasmoke and tessarion? Maybe not all of them but I’m not ready 🙁
 
Does anyone know the name of those small square blue towels that are commonly used in clinics?

I want to get one to use on my budgies at home to restrain them better. I’ve been using a kitchen towel for little gimpy’s daily medicine, but that’s a bit too bulky for nail trims and I don’t feel I have sufficient control over him to trim nails safely. Hoping something small and thinner would help
 
Does anyone know the name of those small square blue towels that are commonly used in clinics?

I want to get one to use on my budgies at home to restrain them better. I’ve been using a kitchen towel for little gimpy’s daily medicine, but that’s a bit too bulky for nail trims and I don’t feel I have sufficient control over him to trim nails safely. Hoping something small and thinner would help
FWIW I hate surgical towels for tiny birds because their nails always get caught up in the threads depending on how you hold them. Basically everything is hard in them lol.
 
FWIW I hate surgical towels for tiny birds because their nails always get caught up in the threads depending on how you hold them. Basically everything is hard in them lol.
They do 😭 my little guy is starting to get caught in my hand towel when I release him from his meds, which is why I want to trim his nails. But I couldn’t get a good hold of him while having control of his little leg with the material in the way. I’d rather not go to the clinic for just a nail trim but that may end up being how it goes 😅
 
There's a wanted murder running around my parts-my guess is probs along the river which makes finding someone much more difficult. My SO spent all day helping to look for him. The amount of misinformation on social media is wild as are people's expectations of LEOs. My poor SO is a very tired lobster tonight 😅
@battie keep your crazies in your part of the woods where they came from (lol jk)
 
There's a wanted murder running around my parts-my guess is probs along the river which makes finding someone much more difficult. My SO spent all day helping to look for him. The amount of misinformation on social media is wild as are people's expectations of LEOs. My poor SO is a very tired lobster tonight 😅
@battie keep your crazies in your part of the woods where they came from (lol jk)

No joke, I was walking my pittie tonight, playing some Pokemon go, when a group of younger teen dudes walked past me. I had been walking around for a decent 45 minutes within the neighborhood. The dudes said, "Miss, miss, someone was shooting over there, so be careful." 🤣😅 I was obviously non-plussed as there were no gunshots to be heard as I had walked through that part of the neighborhood not ten minutes prior. Told them, "I grew up around here, I'm not too worried about it." And kept playing.

Spoiler Alert. No gun shots. Were they trying to be helpful? Maybe? Where they trying to mess with me cause some youngins like to mess with oldies? Also maybe?
 
There's a wanted murder running around my parts-my guess is probs along the river which makes finding someone much more difficult. My SO spent all day helping to look for him. The amount of misinformation on social media is wild as are people's expectations of LEOs. My poor SO is a very tired lobster tonight 😅
@battie keep your crazies in your part of the woods where they came from (lol jk)
Good news is they found him
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMG_8809.jpeg

IMG_9016.jpeg

IMG_9025.jpeg

IMG_9075.jpeg

IMG_9127.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

IMG_9164.jpeg
Which, speaking of
10+ species of birds
6 species of land mammal
6 rolls of film photography
4 National Parks
3 bison traffic jams
3 National Monuments
3 campsites
I’m ready to sleep in a real bed and shower. Easy top three vacations ever though.
 
Which, speaking of
10+ species of birds
6 species of land mammal
6 rolls of film photography
4 National Parks
3 bison traffic jams
3 National Monuments
3 campsites
I’m ready to sleep in a real bed and shower. Easy top three vacations ever though.
I am so jealous of youuuu I miss being out west!!
 
I am so jealous of youuuu I miss being out west!!
My home is definitely coast with mountains thank you very much but visiting was very fun. Definitely tired of 7+ hours of empty prairie with no soul in sight other than cattle lol.

Would like to highly recommend seeing Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We were going to drive by it and figured we’d stop just to say we’d been and it ended up being a really surprising and spectacular addition.
 
Plz you know people who go to zoos don’t read 😭
This is so true. You guys have no idea the lengths zoos go to to design, approve, and physically create all the signage that no one reads anyways.

At my first zoo, my husband made it a goal to have read every single sign in the zoo before my internship ended and he did. He's so cute😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Oh! Oh no! This is one of the worst health-related headlines I've ever seen!
This has been all over my vet/doctor groups. A nightmare. Via the grapevine, It sounds like there wasn't initially enough panic about the situation from a public health perspective, and iirc the farm's FB post was very much 'boo our animals we are sad' and not 'please go get checked out immediately you might actually die from this.'

Those goatlets should have never been accessible to the public until they were vaccinated but this **** happens every day. Just think about all of the fairs, birthday parties, whatever where a ton of people might touch a ton of animals. I mean this was a mobile petting zoo, so the owner is carting around unvaccinated animals (Edit: THAT WERE EXPOSED TO A RABIES VECTOR!!!!!!) from location to location. Bad news.
 
One of the articles shows pictures of a boy feeding the goats by putting his hands in their mouths and hugging them directly into his face and whatnot like 3 weeks after the rabid skunk had entered the pen. Given there were probably hundreds exposed I fear there will be quite a few who won't take it seriously and won't get post-exposure vaccines (unless they're made to, but how good is contact tracing for something like this?).