Rank Help: Jefferson vs. Barrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheRach1025

ape with angel glands
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having trouble deciding between Thomas Jefferson in Philly and St. Joseph's/Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix. They're in the running for my #2 and #3 position after #1 UVA.

I really thought TJ seemed stronger academically and is closer to my family in NYC. I loved the Phoenix weather and that program seemed strong as well, though I do have concerns with the dominance of neurosurg at BNI. Residents seemed equally happy at both places.

I'm an AMG and will almost definitely do a fellowship, maybe in MS/Neuroimmunology. Regarding Private vs. Academics, I could probably go either way, so not too big of a consideration.

Any opinions?
 
can't comment on Jefferson, but I got the sense that NSGY-Neuro relationship at Barrow was pretty decent. I did hear through the grapevine from one PGY4 that there was an isolated incident between between a neuro/nsgy resident, but not much more. My concern was if I would get to see plenty of nonsurgical pathology as well and it seemed that this was the case (at least from what the residents told me). The match list I looked at was favorable although it seems like neuro fellowships are not terribly competitive and most places had good matches.