rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody figuring out their rank list yet? I have one interview left this week (my first one since mid december) and have a general idea on my list, but it's still tough. I have pretty much decided on a #1, #2, and #3 but they may swap positions. Not sure what I am looking for to make me change my mind...And despite my tirades against the "top 5 school" and rankings worship I still am having a hard time not ranking a REALLY prestigious program #1. Hard to pass up the chance to train at such a location.

Members don't see this ad.

so yaah, let's hear your list (or at least what it is for now).
i have no clue how to rank these programs. there are some i feel i would be happier at and some with better reputations/names, but i haven't found that 1 program that meets both to my satisfaction. what's more important- name or happiness? (and by happiness i mean better hours, low stress environment, etc)
i'm having trouble deciding if it's worth it to go somewhere i'll be less happy at but then having my choice of competitive fellowships/jobs or going to a solid, average-name place and have to stand out to get a really good fellowship.

Hear, hear! The process of ranking is going to be tougher than I expected. I'm about to finish up interviews but am a little taken aback that most of my top three (...or 4 or 5 or 6) are competitive places...surprising since I'm not into the name game either. The large programs I'm thinking about are places where the residents seem happy, but in 7 hours you can't really know the price they might pay in exchange for the reputation (faculty turf wars, fluctuating $, how late they really gross, the reality of teaching at signout, etc)...so how to pick? In the end I guess I'll still follow my gut, even though my brain wants a say in it too.

Does anyone have an opinion about UPenn, by the way? I'd love to hear your impressions! The newer residents appeared reasonably happy, but I heard through the grapevine from previous graduates that there were past $ woes (linked to the hospital deficits back in the late 90's--including rumors of residents running out of formalin). Does anyone know if the department has undergone a huge rehaul in the last few years or if reality is more grim than it appears on the surface? I would really appreciate it....

I think I'm going to be using a lot of refrigerator magnets and shuffling the list around everyday till the day I have to turn it in! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I ain't postin' my rank list here, at least for now. I will after the match. I am still trying to figure it out, I just got back from another interview (my last one, and the first I have had in a month) and was quite impressed, although it might not be my #1. Total visited: 13. Sounds like too many now that I think about it.

I wonder a bit about name vs happiness too. Although sometimes, they do go hand in hand. Some smaller, less well known programs may have some nice attendings or nice facilities, but may have some drawbacks (like caliber of residents, etc) that might not make it a really happy place to be. I have also heard, though, that some larger programs have poor resident enviroments (both inter-resident relationships and faculty-resident relationships). There is certainly something to be said for being around happy residents. Better hours are not really a huge concern to me. I am going to be spending time there anyway, and I didn't go into medicine for the work schedule. Malignant enviroments can also sometimes be dealt with and overcome with the right attitude and work ethic. I am mostly concerned about makeup of rotations, resident satisfaction, level of teaching and support, etc.

In my impression, though, getting a good fellowship is pretty dependent on the resident, not where they train. There is the exception of programs keeping their own residents for fellowships, but other than that, if you are a good resident and succeed, no matter where you train you should be able to get a good fellowship. Might also be easier to stand out and impress.

I visited Penn. I was pretty impressed by a few things: 1) The residents did seem extremely happy and content. 2) The chairman and PD are very good, 3) the program can be tailored to individuals' interests i.e. research, specialties, mentoring, etc.

They also have a pretty nice 4 day surg path signout schedule, although on one of the four days the residents are routinely there very late (midnight or later). Facilities are nice caliber.

I don't know what to think about the $$$ situation. They have a lot of research $$$, and a tight relationship with the NIH. The med school is #1 nationally in terms of research funding, and a large percentage of that is pathology. Graduates also do pretty well and have no trouble getting good fellowships and positions. But I also heard that rumor about financial troubles. Maybe that is in the past. In my experience, though, running out of formalin is not a $$$ issue. It is an organizational problem due to ordering too little, some people being overzealous in their use, etc. Some departments recycle formalin.

In my opinion it was a great program with lots to offer and lots to recommend it.

thanks for your input! much appreciated :)

i just got back from a program that i was sure i wouldn't like because of some things i have heard, and i ended up liking it a lot. probably enough to get into my top 3 but not enough to get #1.

this rank thing just keeps getting harder and harder. i have 1 more interview left before i can devote my full attention to figuring this thing out.

That happened to me with 3 places. I only visited 2 programs where my opinion of them went down after the interview.

Just goes to show you, be careful about what people tell you. Seek many opinions. In my opinion, if one person tells you a place is great, it might be worth visiting if you would ever consider going there. If one person tells you a place stinks, ask a few other people. Pessimists are easy to find, and they often focus on small things. People can find ways to hate programs very easily (i.e., you have to park 3 blocks away). For example, I don't like Columbia's program because it is in New York City.

I think I finally have a #1 and #2. 3-6 are pretty solid but will shuffle around. After that, it probably doesn't matter much but I will rank seriously until 15 because additional charges don't apply until then.

I'm also starting to think it doesn't really matter. If I perform well enough, I will succeed. If I slack off and act stupid, it won't matter which program I go to, I won't be successful. One can always "move up" by doing a fellowship somewhere else. Thus, my most important factors are 1) How the residents and attendings at each place responded when I asked them about resident education; and 2) Location.

^over 90% of all students match into their top three.

i bet 95% of those that got a 257 on step 1 match their top in path.

Well, the derm program at UMass is pretty good and well known. They have faculty on editorial boards of many journals, a very favorable resident:attending ratio, etc. But he said they had over 300 applications for 2 spots, and interviewed 30. This is probably pretty typical. Apparently, some of the applicants apply to well over 100 programs, and derm applicants tend to self-select, so usually people don't apply who aren't good candidates. It just sounds really cutthroat - all these applicants who are competing with each other over research, publications. I don't know how they decide. I told him about some of the perks of going on pathology interviews (hotel rooms, being the only one on interview days, etc) and he was impressed.