rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, let's get this started. it's time to come forward.

here's my list. no going back now...

1. iowa
2. musc
3. mayo
4. cleveland clinic
5. mcv
6. minnesota
7. yale
8. pittsburgh
9. uc-san diego
10. hershey/penn state

Members don't see this ad.

1. ucla
2. ucsf
3. ucsd
4. uw
5. bwh
6. jh
7. columbia
8. yale
9. UPenn
10. mgh
11. sedar sinai
12. uci

Mayo
Minnesota
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth
Yale
Colorado

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt
Cornell
NYU
Loyola
Wayne State
Baystate (Springfield)
SUNY

Here we go

1) Meechigan
2) the MGH
3) Johns Hopkins
4) Dahtmouth
5) Iowa
6) UVM
7) Utah
8) U Chi
9) Northwestern
10) UMass

yup. No Brigham. No Penn.

I stressed WAY too much about 4-8 despite getting a "rank to match" phone call from one of the top 3.

Keep posting, don't be shy!

uchi
ucsf
uw
hopkins
iowa

glad to see this thread is starting to roll along:

Penn
UW
UCSD

G'luck ya'll! (yes, there are computers in the South, and folks who know how to use them! ;)

(Off topic, but not worthy of a new thread)

Hey Yaay,

Why no bwh or Penn? PM me if you'd like.

P

I'm sure I would be happy at Brigham or Penn, but I'd rather not go there. For Brigham, I just did not overall feel very comfortable during my interview. I explained it to someone else this way: Going to Brigham, to me, feels similar to skipping grades in high school and going on to the next. While I could probably do the work and even do it well, I would feel as though my classmates were so much more well prepared for what they were doing. And I don't want to jump ahead of my own learning curve just yet. Not scared of it, just uncomfortable. I felt like a lot of the folks at Brigham already had their full career goals in mind and they were doing the residency to get it done before moving on to the lab or other such things. Not to say I don't want any research involvment in my residency, quite the contrary. But my goal in residency training is to prepare myself for a career that may include academics, may include private practice, or even heavy research. I didn't feel like I could explore all of these there. I also realize that Brigham's program is not quite as heavily research-biased as many make it out to be, at least in terms of actual day-to-day training schedules. I have also talked to some prior grads of the program which did not leave me the most comfortable when thinking about what I wanted to get out of a residency program. I have done a year already in anatomic pathology, but for where I am right now I want to train with other people who are not already half way to their career goals. I don't know. It's hard to explain, but when I thought about it I just was not happy with any situation in which I matched at Brigham.

Penn was similar, but a little less so. I also felt the amount of time spent doing surg path was not really sufficient for what I wanted. I also don't like Philly too much. I did have quite a crush on one of the residents who I met there and talked to, but I hardly think I should choose a program based on that!

Don't get me wrong, both are great programs with terrific histories and offer great mentoring and preparation for a career, particularly in academics. I just didn't feel right. As I said, I kind of felt like a child.

So, you're asking, why rank MGH #2? Are you a hypocrite? MGH to me, as I have told others, feels similar to going to an elite school, where everyone in your class is at your level and equally qualified. You have to work hard, but you are all in it together and coming at things from similar perspectivevs. MGH also focuses a lot on diagnostics, which is key to me.

What's your rank list like?

My rank list is a year away, as yet (after seven years, you'd think I'd be closer - my kids think dad's a bit slow to have taken so much time in school). Actually, I'm still cycling back and forth between ophtho and path (having more or less ruled out a bunch of other interesting, but not quite right for this ape specialties).

I know - very different fields. I know - how could one seriously be interested in both. I know - etc. etc. etc. It comes down to the patient contact vs. no contact for me, and I'm still trying to get my head around that one. Electives (next few months) should help.

If I go path, Penn, MGH, and BWH are all very high, as the training I'm looking for is good there and the geography, for the most part, happily matches my geocentricity (they don't call it the Hub for nothing and we've enjoyed Philly, believe it or not). Hence, my interest in your previous post.

I hope y'all stay around and continue to post next year, as an inmate's view is always different than a visitor's.

Thanks for your thoughts on the programs. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for the cute residents next time I bring a specimen up from the OR. :love: :laugh:

Originally posted by Primate
Thanks for your thoughts on the programs. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for the cute residents next time I bring a specimen up from the OR. :love: :laugh:

Thanks dude! Not that it'll do me any good now! Maybe I can do a fellowship there though.

Opthalmology is a nice field - I could never do it. I hate eyes. I had to cut into a few eyeballs in both anatomy lab and during my PSF. Nightmares for a week. Great, now I'll have more nightmares.

Where are the rest of your rank lists? Don't be shy! Nothing to be afraid of.

i second that opinion - keep the lists coming! :)

I felt like a lot of the folks at Brigham already had their full career goals in mind and they were doing the residency to get it done before moving on to the lab or other such things.

What I don't get is that if you know you want to go do cell cycle research or something like that, then why not just go do it right away and why spend two years doing autopsies and looking at slides and such?

We'll probably have to bump this in a few months (i.e., in March) anyways.

Yes - people were a bit shy about posting their rank lists last year (I believe due to the Patriot Act ;) ) but hopefully this year will be different!

I'm hesitant to post my ROL mainly because I prefer to remain relatively incognito. Were I to post it, people would eventually be able to figure out who I am, and I wouldn't be able to post so freely.

Stormjen, re: your avatar -
if I am channelling you rightly -
argh.gif

I am by turns terrified, excited, confused, bouncy and dejected.

btw I don't think it was the intention that we feel obliged to post our rank lists... more that there comes a point (5 years down the road perhaps?) where the personal value of the communication is lost, and it could provide a reference point for future applicants.

[addendum]e.g. for whatever reason, I am reassured by the fact that 5 out of my 7 were ranked by senior posters on this board in the past year.

I can't always explain why I do what I do. The process is donkey balls!

stormjen said:
I'm hesitant to post my ROL mainly because I prefer to remain relatively incognito. Were I to post it, people would eventually be able to figure out who I am, and I wouldn't be able to post so freely.

I certainly won't be posting my ROL until after rank order lists are due and finalized...and the reason isn't to be secretive to you all (you all are cool) but also to remain "fairly" incognito. I've already kinda shot myself in the foot multiple times regarding my anonymity though (in another part of this SDN forum). So whatever. But I think posting ROL is for sh1ts n giggles and satisfying people's curiousity...and it can be done after rank order lists are due or even after match day or whatever.

deschutes said:
Stormjen, re: your avatar -
if I am channelling you rightly

Yes, that's about right. I'm feeling entirely too exhausted right now. Last Monday I began a rotation that was supposed to be a blow-off, which has turned out to be 10+ hours a day of work. Add to that 15 hours in the car to go to one interview, plus flying out tonight to yet another interview, and I'm totally pooped. I just want to start residency already.

I can provide my tentative rank order list (keeping in mind I've had only three interviews so far). I will leave out a couple programs that would reveal my identity.

#1 Cleveland Clinic
#2 University of Vermont
#3 Dartmouth
#4 University of Minnesota
#5 Medical College of Virginia
#6 University of Colorado
#7 *deleted*
#8 University of Rochester
#9 *deleted*

An internist decides to swim the Channel (yes, THAT one), gets 1/3 the way there and can't make it any further, and hails a boat to pick him out of the water.

A surgeon decides that if a medicine flea can get 1/3 of the way, he aught to be able to finish the swim without even training. He gets 5/6 of the way there (not bad, considering) but also has to have a boat pick him out.

A pathologist figures, what the hay, I've got all this free time, maybe I'll try the swim. He gets a bit more than 1/2 way across the channel, starts to flounder, decides he can't make it, takes a few mouthfuls of water and so turns around and swims back.

Forward is the closer shore, indeed.

The Bard it's not (but I do approve of your choice of quotes - very memorable, indeed)

;) :)

P