Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path4lyfe

Reaction score
Struggling on my rank order list... any advice would be great

Mayo
Cleveland
UPMC
Emory
Vanderbilt
UNC
GW
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

1) NYU
2) GW
3) Vanderbilt

I wouldn’t be willing to live in any of the other cities

NYU would literally be last on my list. Then Mayo.

The NY pathology market is beyond saturated and the bulk of residents still rely on employment near their residency location so NYU would be vastly more challenging to get a solid job than say UNC or Emory or Vandy.

Mayo AFAIK has a unique way of doing pathology that the last time this was explained to me (they make a vast majority of their diagnoses from frozen material) has very limited translation to actual community pathology.

GW likewise is in a poor job market.

Vanderbilt would be top, then Emory. Rest kinda suck but not near the suckage of the 3 above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, you guys sure love pathology.

Nyu and gw are lowest due to market saturation and cost of living

Mayo is overrated for residency, I did not like it when I interviewed there for residency. They would be a much better place for fellowships where you see a lot of consults cases.

Emory would be miserable due to multiple hospitals and terrible traffic.

Upmc , ccf, vandy, unc would all be fine programs where you would get good training. Any of those would be my top 4 to play around with.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with LA & pathslides. NY would not be my first choice of city in which to train. Would put UPMC and Vanderbilt towards the top.

NYU would literally be last on my list. Then Mayo.

The NY pathology market is beyond saturated and the bulk of residents still rely on employment near their residency location so NYU would be vastly more challenging to get a solid job than say UNC or Emory or Vandy.

Mayo AFAIK has a unique way of doing pathology that the last time this was explained to me (they make a vast majority of their diagnoses from frozen material) has very limited translation to actual community pathology.

GW likewise is in a poor job market.

Vanderbilt would be top, then Emory. Rest kinda suck but not near the suckage of the 3 above.

+1

Would avoid NY unless you have your heart set on NY area for employment and are willing to risk the saturated market.

To the op: keep in mind that there is some validity to the old adage that people end up practicing in the same region in which they trained...I know there are exceptions, but people usually congregate to the region of the country they're most familiar with or where they have family, that that often means something tangible to prospective employers.

For PP, it's my experience that coastal gigs favor coastal applicants, and flyover gigs favor flyover applicants, at least from the stand point of making a good hire investment. If you've lived, trained and spent your entire life in NY, you're a.) unlikely to want to work in Omaha, NE [despite the much better odds it will be one of those 95th percentile gigs], and b.) Omaha, NE, is unlikely to want to hire someone from NY [unless there are extenuating circumstances].

Nyu and gw are lowest due to market saturation and cost of living

Mayo is overrated for residency, I did not like it when I interviewed there for residency. They would be a much better place for fellowships where you see a lot of consults cases.

Emory would be miserable due to multiple hospitals and terrible traffic.

Upmc , ccf, vandy, unc would all be fine programs where you would get good training. Any of those would be my top 4 to play around with.

I concur with this assessment.

In terms of quality of training, UPMC, CC, and Vandy probably have the better reputations nationally. In terms of livability, I think Nashville and Pittsburgh are very livable.