Rank Post Bac Programs!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

rmadraswala

a

Members don't see this ad.

This is my personal ranking

1. Georgetown SMP:
~60% matriculation while enrolled in program
~85% matriculation including the following year after completion of program
~30/150 acceptance into Georgetown University SOM
Highly reputable program
M.S. in Physiology/Biophysics granted in 1 year
2. Bostom University:
Great school
2 year program awarding a M.S. degree
Good (actual numbers seem to be rather secretive) matriculation into BU SOM
3. Finch AP:
Cut-off GPA for acceptance into Finch Medical School (if you make a certain GPA, you are pretty much guaranteed acceptance)
Not very recognized outside of Finch
"All or nothing" - you will get a M.S. and matriculate into Finch if you make a certain GPA cut-off or you will not matriculate nor receive a M.S. (you have total control of your fate!)

I'd agree that the three SMPs you named (Georgetown, BU, and Finch/Rosalind Franklin/CMS) are the best in the US. However, it looks to me like the OP is looking at East coast postbac programs for those who have not completed the prereqs. If that's what the OP is referring to, sorry, I have no clue about such programs [ :oops: ]. Also, it's possible to complete BU in one year, but it's not standardized the way G-town and RFU are.

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick question about applying. If I wanted to enter a SMP program for FALL 2006. Would I apply this summer or do wait till next summer?

Do you have to apply a year before you intend to enter? Of would I just apply next summer if I wanted to enter a SMP program for FAll 2006?

I don't want to hijack the OPs thread, so I'll try to make this brief. This would be my approach...

(1) If your MCAT is fine, but your grades are not so good, I would apply after completing one year in the masters (the exception would be RFU's program for the reasons premed mentioned above).

(2) If your grades are already somewhat competitive/borderline, I think it's reasonable to apply during the program.

The difference with the two situations is that if your undergrad gpa sucks, it's to your advantage in the app cycle to have your whopping 3.9 or so special masters GPA on AMCAS before you file it. You want to avoid being rejected pre/post-secondary due to grades or having your app put on hold. If your GPA/MCAT is somewhere around 30/3.5, one semester updating the adcoms on your grades just might be enough to get you an acceptance. I intend to take the first route :oops:

Akshat said:
A quick question about applying. If I wanted to enter a SMP program for FALL 2006. Would I apply this summer or do wait till next summer?

Do you have to apply a year before you intend to enter? Of would I just apply next summer if I wanted to enter a SMP program for FAll 2006?

Applications for FALL 2006 will be available around January 2006. I would suggest you apply early because although most people are accepted into these post-bac/masters programs, some hear back really really late.

Phil Anthropist said:
I'd agree that the three SMPs you named (Georgetown, BU, and Finch/Rosalind Franklin/CMS) are the best in the US. However, it looks to me like the OP is looking at East coast postbac programs for those who have not completed the prereqs. If that's what the OP is referring to, sorry, I have no clue about such programs [ :oops: ]. Also, it's possible to complete BU in one year, but it's not standardized the way G-town and RFU are.

You're right...I think the OP also wanted schools in the East coast. Since I've only researched heavily into those 3 programs, I don't have much advice into other schools. :oops:

premed said:
You're right...I think the OP also wanted schools in the East coast. Since I've only researched heavily into those 3 programs, I don't have much advice into other schools. :oops:
I have no idea which are best, but a former adcom member I had spoken with seemed most impressed with Bryn Mawr and Goucher. These are true postbacs not special masters programs, though -- not sure what the OP is looking for. As for BU, perhaps I am wrong, but thought that in Boston it might not be the best choice -- I had heard Tufts had a stronger % linkage and that the program was more pro-active in placing it's "graduates", and on the other end of the spectrum Harvard Extension had a much lower cost..?

Akshat said:

If you wanted to enter a post-bac in the fall of 2006, you wouldn't have to apply for it until the winter/spring just preceding the term (i.e. winter/spring 2006). i would check individual schools' websites for exact due dates but the process isn't rolling as med schools but i would suggest applying as soon as the fall 2006 application is available, just to be safe :)

As far as applying to medical schools, I think Phil answered this question best in his response to this post. The app process takes one year so you could either apply for med school the summer preceding your post-bac, or the summer following your post-bac.

1. georgetown smp

2. drexel ims/msp

3. rosalind franklin

4. boston u

Where do you you guys think Loyola would fit in compared with the other schools?

I think Law2Doc is the only one who has addressed the OP's concerns (yes, I haven't either :p ).
tacrum43 said:
Where do you you guys think Loyola would fit in compared with the other schools?
I've got my reservations on this program. I would put it below Georgetown, BU, Rosalind Franklin, etc. The program is only 24 credits, the others range from 32-48. The others contain med courses, Loyola doesn't. Loyola is solely coursework-based (no labs, no research) and you only take courses with the MAMS students. You don't even take courses with MS students or PhD students like in VCU's premed certificate program. The Loyola program also expects that the students will have a glide year. That's fine, but if you're trying to avoid it I think the others are better choices. The program started in 2004, so its success rate has yet to be tested. I don't think its new start date is necessarily that bad (I'm considering some other relatively new postbac programs), but I do think the design is flawed. The big advantage is the guaranteed interview at Loyola/Stritch School of Medicine provided that you meet the numerical requirements. I love Chicago and would love the opportunity to study at Loyola. In fact, when I do apply, Stritch would be one of my top choices. Now I may be proved wrong...For all I know, maybe half these MAMS students will get accepted into Stritch. But for now, I'd be hesitant to classify this as one of the top pre-professional master's programs. But you reminded me, there's an SDNer that's in the program right now and I was going to PM her to see what she thinks of the program so far. If I get some helpful info, I'll post it and bump it up on one of the Loyola MAMS threads. And on a somewhat random note, Dr. Suter (coordinator of the MAMS program I believe) has been one of the most helpful and courteous contacts in all my postbac inquiries. :thumbup: But I still think the program design is flawed :p

Phil Anthropist said:
I think Law2Doc is the only one who has addressed the OP's concerns (yes, I haven't either :p ).

I've got my reservations on this program. I would put it below Georgetown, BU, Rosalind Franklin, etc. The program is only 24 credits, the others range from 32-48. The others contain med courses, Loyola doesn't. Loyola is solely coursework-based (no labs, no research) and you only take courses with the MAMS students. You don't even take courses with MS students or PhD students like in VCU's premed certificate program. The Loyola program also expects that the students will have a glide year. That's fine, but if you're trying to avoid it I think the others are better choices. The program started in 2004, so its success rate has yet to be tested. I don't think its new start date is necessarily that bad (I'm considering some other relatively new postbac programs), but I do think the design is flawed. The big advantage is the guaranteed interview at Loyola/Stritch School of Medicine provided that you meet the numerical requirements. I love Chicago and would love the opportunity to study at Loyola. In fact, when I do apply, Stritch would be one of my top choices. Now I may be proved wrong...For all I know, maybe half these MAMS students will get accepted into Stritch. But for now, I'd be hesitant to classify this as one of the top pre-professional master's programs. But you reminded me, there's an SDNer that's in the program right now and I was going to PM her to see what she thinks of the program so far. If I get some helpful info, I'll post it and bump it up on one of the Loyola MAMS threads. And on a somewhat random note, Dr. Suter (coordinator of the MAMS program I believe) has been one of the most helpful and courteous contacts in all my postbac inquiries. :thumbup: But I still think the program design is flawed :p

As usual, Phil is right on the money. The LU MAMS program has potential, but given the track record of established programs, isn't in competition with them.