Rank vs Cost for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sdafkv

Reaction score
I've gotten admission into a local medical university (Madras Medical College) and into The University of Cambridge. Only issue is, MMC Costs upwards of 50,000 Pounds whereas Cambridge would be about 500,000 Pounds. I hope to be able to proceed to USA for my residency, and as such, where do you think I should opt to go? Is the prestige truly that amazing, especially since I'm a fmg? In terms of comfort, studying in my local college does mean that I would be next to family and friends whereas UK is in a completely different continent but if it's worth the cost and the hurdles, I'll be glad to make the trip to Cambridge. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Jeez, definitely Madras. I assume you will be classified as IMG anyway, so paying around 600k dollars is insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If you do go to Cambridge, would you be open to practicing in the UK? You could also do locums in NZ, Australia, South Africa, and the Saudi nations (SA, Qatar, Oman)

Edit: personally, I would still pick Madras.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten admission into a local medical university (Madras Medical College) and into The University of Cambridge. Only issue is, MMC Costs upwards of 50,000 Pounds whereas Cambridge would be about 500,000 Pounds. I hope to be able to proceed to USA for my residency, and as such, where do you think I should opt to go? Is the prestige truly that amazing, especially since I'm a fmg? In terms of comfort, studying in my local college does mean that I would be next to family and friends whereas UK is in a completely different continent but if it's worth the cost and the hurdles, I'll be glad to make the trip to Cambridge. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Over $600,000 USD for a medical degree?! That's not prestige, that's just a club for rich families.

Reactions: 7 users
Huh I thought across the pond they covered education costs for people

$500-600k for a medical degree??
Is this real life

Reactions: 1 user
Paying $600,000 in the hopes of maybe landing a US residency is absolutely insane.

Reactions: 3 users
For its own citizens, more or less. Not foreigners.
I suppose that's only fair since they didn't pay into the tax pool

OP, dont spend half a mil on a medical degree for a country you dont want to practice in

Reactions: 1 users