Rank without interview? And other questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeyore spice

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone were to not get ANY interviews, would it be worth it to participate in the match anyway?

Would a program ever rank someone they didn't interview, or do they just limit their rankings to the people interviewed?

If you don't get any interviews and don't rank anything in the match, can you participate in the scramble?

When you participate in the scramble, should you try places you've applied to but weren't selected for an interview, or places you haven't applied to?

Oh, and who else saw the article in AJHP about the supply/demand problem? Any guesses on how many people won't match this year? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

If someone were to not get ANY interviews, would it be worth it to participate in the match anyway?

Would a program ever rank someone they didn't interview, or do they just limit their rankings to the people interviewed?

If you don't get any interviews and don't rank anything in the match, can you participate in the scramble?

When you participate in the scramble, should you try places you've applied to but weren't selected for an interview, or places you haven't applied to?

Oh, and who else saw the article in AJHP about the supply/demand problem? Any guesses on how many people won't match this year? :eek:

Well, I know that programs wouldn't rank someone that didn't interview so it wouldnt make sense to participate if you didn't get interviews.

You can however participate in the scramble.

I would go ahead and pursue programs who denied you before match in the scramble. I know personally since I went through scramble. It's brutal so you need to contact as many programs as possible. After all, these programs didn't match either.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can participate in the scramble if you didn't rank anyone. In the scramble, I would go for whoever looks good to you/wherever you have a connection (no matter if you already applied or not).

Yes, if only so that you could see the scramble list.

No interview, no rank. Period.

Yes.

Contact as many as possible. If they chose not to interview you, it might not be anything personal; it's probably just that they only had a short time to do interviews and they had to draw the line somewhere.

Domo arigatou, pharmacists! :thumbup:

One more...by "contacting" unmatched programs, what should you say? The same thing you'd say before applying, "I'm interested in your program," etc? (Okay, essentially I'm asking how not to sound desperate...)

Domo arigatou, pharmacists! :thumbup:

One more...by "contacting" unmatched programs, what should you say? The same thing you'd say before applying, "I'm interested in your program," etc? (Okay, essentially I'm asking how not to sound desperate...)

Don't worry about sounding desperate. These sites will understand that you ARE desperate, but THEY are desperate to fill their positions. Just say that you were interested in the residency position that you saw in the scramble list. Then they will let you know what they are looking for or if they had already filled it. Just be ready to start calling at noon when the scramble list is released. It moves quick and a lot of positions will be filled by the end of the day.

Yes, if only so that you could see the scramble list.

No interview, no rank. Period.

Yes.

Contact as many as possible. If they chose not to interview you, it might not be anything personal; it's probably just that they only had a short time to do interviews and they had to draw the line somewhere.

+1. This post is exactly on the money.