Ranking Game #2...the abridged version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pathlete01

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cornell
Hopkins
UCSF

How would you rank these? Which would you rank #1? Is it an obvious choice?

P.S. I've actually already made my decision but just curious to see what others think. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Cornell
Hopkins
UCSF

How would you rank these? Which would you rank #1? Is it an obvious choice?

P.S. I've actually already made my decision but just curious to see what others think. Thanks!

Looking purely at quality of pathology training I would go Hopkins followed by ucsf with Cornell a distant third. But heavily factored into my decision was the requirement to be in an elite world class city as I have many cultural interests outside of pathology. Therefore my final rank would be

1 Ucsf
2 cornell
3 Hopkins.
 
All 3 quality places, but only Hopkins would be universally recognized as "elite" for quality training. You could definite argue UCSF as well. I personally really like Cornell, but it is a small program. If I was ranking in terms of quality it would be in that order. Opinions about city quality are like a-holes, but most will agree that Baltimore is the least desirable. However, outside of pathstudent you won't find too many people who weight that so heavily. I personally would value cost of living much more than some snobby notion of "world class city".
 
World class city or what... Baltimore is a horrible place to live on the salary a resident makes. And JHU Hospital is in a very dangerous part of town. I lived there for 1 year and couldn't wait to get the heck out... couldn't imagine being there 5+ years regardless of the quality of path training. QoL matters too.