Ranking Long-shots vs Safetys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuyuteJr

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a rank list question -- How many long-shot programs are okay to put at the top of your rank list before you should throw some safetys in? For example, I'm thinking of ranking two highly competitive programs one and two, with my third choice being a relatively safety program based on my overall feeling and post-interview contact. I know everyone says the match is in your favor, but is it possible to have too many long-shot/highly competitive programs at the top of your list, to the point where you might miss out on one of your saftetys since they will be lower on your list? I heard a story of someone last year not matching because she felt she had put her safety programs too far down on her rank list. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by GuyuteJr
Here's a rank list question -- How many long-shot programs are okay to put at the top of your rank list before you should throw some safetys in? For example, I'm thinking of ranking two highly competitive programs one and two, with my third choice being a relatively safety program based on my overall feeling and post-interview contact. I know everyone says the match is in your favor, but is it possible to have too many long-shot/highly competitive programs at the top of your list, to the point where you might miss out on one of your saftetys since they will be lower on your list? I heard a story of someone last year not matching because she felt she had put her safety programs too far down on her rank list. Thanks!

I don't think ranking the long shots hurt your chances. The match is designed to be beneficial for the applicant, and it doesn't hurt if you put the long shots ahead. This is my understanding of the match.

It sounds as if you don't know how the match process works and need to go to the nrmp site to read more.

Do not rank based on what you think your chances are. Rank according to where you want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put all the highly competitive ones first in the order you would want to attend them in...that is if you want to go to these places. The match is in your favor as far as picking where you want to go. There is no penalty or risk on your part for ranking unlikely matches first on your list.

Look at match algorithm on scutwork.com. Then you will understand what this thing is all about.

Even if yyou rank a safety school number 20 on your list, but they've ranked you number one, you will bump someone off their list if it comes down to your 20th choice. So it really doesn't hurt you, and ranking a top program high doesn't help you there either

Originally posted by GuyuteJr
I heard a story of someone last year not matching because she felt she had put her safety programs too far down on her rank list. Thanks!

Looks like someone was trying to make herself feel better about not matching....

Rank the programs you want to go to first (no matter how far off you think they are). Do not rank any program you do not wish to go to. You might actually end up there.

Thanks everyone! This is what I originally thought. I also agree that the story that applicant told about not matching was just to make herself feel better. I guess I it just made want to be sure of how I thought the match works.