Ranking Morristown Memorial Hospital,NJ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaphoid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is any one ranking Morristown Memorial Hospital, NJ? I liked most of the faculty (Private Surgeons). As a medical student, I saw and was told by the residents that most of the residents are not below 80 hours a week. There is huge struggle to cut down in the hours but as private hospital it seems to be easier said then done. Overall teaching is none existence, in the wards, OR, and conference. There is an attempt at teaching once a week as morning conference by the residents. Some of the residents told me that the chief’s that graduated in 2003 all failed their boards. I like to go to strong community program, but some of these things are troubling.I want my five years to be worth the commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard good things about Morristown, especially how nice the hospital is and the facilities and how they are trying to keep the program "friendly". But you do not want to go to a program where recent chiefs are not passing the boards and there is a problem with resident work hours. The ACGME will cite that program quickly and that is a major problem.

But of course the decision is yours...me I would prefer to go to a "worse" hospital ie more work, less ancillary staff, non-private but where there is strong evidence that recent chiefs are doing well and are getting fellowships where they want. Good luck!

I did a rotation there and can confirm that ALL of the 2003 chiefs failed their boards and at least one of the 2004 chiefs also failed. One of my classmates said the PD approached her in the elevator and asked about this site and scutwork. I hear he is leaving. Even as a student I can see a lot of friction between the chairman and attendings. The residents get caught in the middle which is bad for morale.

What is scary is that my roomate from undergrad interviewed there and said they really put their best foot forward during the interview process, like everything is fine. But next year I don't even plan to apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
what other community programs did you guys interview at? I interviewed at Morristown...had a decent (6/10) experience and thought that it was an "average" community program. Not too bad if you want to practice GS. How about St. Barnabus in Livingston, NJ? Or Lehigh Valley Hospital (LVH, Allentown, PA)? LVH (Penn State affiliate) is on the top ranking list in 6 different categories (several of them surgeries) in the World News and Report magazine for the last several years...In my opinion, one of the best community programs out there...financially stable (in the $100s of million in cash), best facilities of ANY hospitals I've seen, including university ones. For some reason, plastics is the most popular fellowship there...4/4 plastics last year. Anyone interview at Cabrini in Manhattan? I thought everyone was laid back and the atmosphere was friendly. They seem to operate a lot, from day 1, which is good or bad, depending on what you want. Oh, and the living condition (did you see the apts!) are excellent! How would you rank:
Cabrini
Morristown
St. Barnabus (NJ)
Lehigh Valley
Any thoughts on ranking and why?

I liked St. Barnabus (NJ) and Lehigh Valley. I did not interview at Cabrini.

Did you interview at Robert Wood Johnson.

Barnabus is a nice, benign program. I think that you would like it there. I have only heard of Cabrini through some Anesth. transitional residents, all of whom are excited to start there. The group is very laid back and easygoing, so I am assuming that it represents the nature of the program.

I interviewed at Lehigh Valley and liked it...very BIG place but too far away from home (NYC) for me, but nonetheless it will be in my top 5. It would be a nice place to spend 5 years considering they have so much financial backing that it makes residents' lives easier.

Hi folks,
I have nothing really to contribute to this thread in the ways of helpful information (I'm only a second year out in Chicago), but I grew up in Morristown, NJ and was a courier (think odd-jobs/candy-striping) at Memorial for 4 years in high school. I'm just having a little sentimental glow about this thread. ;) Sucks about the scores for past chiefs. Cheers for thinking about it, anyway - Morristown's a wonderful place to live! :D