Ranking statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabasco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my ranking today. It feels good. It actually feels great. I'm quite happy with my plot in life now.

The good news, that I'm going to share with you, is that, in conformity with NRMP, the average number of candidates ranked by programs that don't fill is five per slot, as opposed to the average for the programs that do fill, which is around eight.

That means that for an average program with ten slots, if they rank about fifty people they stand a good chance of not filling. The other way to put it is that for an average applicant that applies to an average program, they have a good chance of matching there if they are ranked within the first fifty candidates.

Considering that most programs interview around a hundred people for 10 slots, any average candidate has a 50% chance of matching in their first choice program - or in any of the next ones, if they didn't match in their first. That means an average chance of 75% of matching in your first two, 87.5% for your first three, and so on.

Not too shabby, eh?

Good luck to all of us.

Members don't see this ad.