Rant about it here .....Daily Rants.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sometimes go to the Pre-Vet forum specifically to their rant about it today. *.

It always annoys me how we don't have such things. While they all seem to know each other there!

Here in the dental forums, posts are more serious
! Why so serious!!!!!

So, I don't know, maybe the moderator will delete this topic, which I will totally understand (
I actually will not understand that, but I am trying to look understanding! :roflcopter:)

In case this thread does not get removed.
I hope anyone can share his or her daily rants here. Vent here about whatever's bothering you right now!

Or just ignore it :lock:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't had much motivation to do anything lately and it's bumming me out. Also everyone who touted 18 as the magic number where acne disappeared is a liar because here I am nearly 21 with my face covered in red bumps and zits.

Reactions: 9 users
I haven't had much motivation to do anything lately and it's bumming me out. Also everyone who touted 18 as the magic number where acne disappeared is a liar because here I am nearly 21 with my face covered in red bumps and zits.
Motivation for me is low too. Have you been to a dermatologist or explored different diets/soaps? I feel for you. You are still young. Give your skin more time to adjust. I'm 27 and now only rarely get a break out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man this is the first year where I was unable to go hiking/camping/fishing because of applications. The weather is getting so nice!

Mine went away with a combination of only washing my face once a day when I shower at night and using lotion on my face. I thought people were crazy when they told me to use moisturizing lotion on my face to help breakouts, but it actually works lol

@Pearl E. White This is the first year where I've started getting serious about improving my skin so I'm still exploring different options. Clarity has improved but it still looks bad to me. Next issue will be waiting for hyper pigmentation and divets to fade away.

@tooth-hurty I feel you. Spent the whole summer indoors studying for the DAT and it blew.

Mine went away with a combination of only washing my face once a day when I shower at night and using lotion on my face. I thought people were crazy when they told me to use moisturizing lotion on my face to help breakouts, but it actually works lol

I know this is a dental forum but which lotion do u use lol

@Pearl E. White This is the first year where I've started getting serious about improving my skin so I'm still exploring different options. Clarity has improved but it still looks bad to me. Next issue will be waiting for hyper pigmentation and divets to fade away.

@tooth-hurty I feel you. Spent the whole summer indoors studying for the DAT and it blew.

I had really bad skin my whole life, I went to a speaker for continuing ed, and she was saying stop drinking milk and eating white bread helps a ton. I didn't believe her, but when I stopped drinking milk, the breakouts dropped to pretty much zero. I only have problems when I eat ice cream...
I know this is anecdotal and not scientific, but I can say it worked for me

I had really bad skin my whole life, I went to a speaker for continuing ed, and she was saying stop drinking milk and eating white bread helps a ton. I didn't believe her, but when I stopped drinking milk, the breakouts dropped to pretty much zero. I only have problems when I eat ice cream...
Do you think it's all dairy? What about cheese?

Do you think it's all dairy? What about cheese?
the speaker said all dairy
I don't eat cheese anyways (except on pizza and Mexican food)
like I said, I thought this lady was a quack, but it really helped me

I know this is a dental forum but which lotion do u use lol
I use Cetaphil! But any non-comedogenic(non-pore blocking) lotion will work for you.

Reactions: 1 user

Sorry about that, but you never really get rid of acne. It just becomes less and less, but acne always shows up from time to time. Say you have an interview tomorrow. They will miraculously show up because they like to get involved! and get acknowledged haha.

Anyway, have you tried
tea tree oil or Bragg vinegar?

Reactions: 3 users
Can confirm has also made a difference in my skin.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also new rant for today... my biochemistry class (it's okay, that's my major = my choice to subject myself to this punishment :laugh:) we have a homework due Thursday, a homework due Tuesday, and an exam next Thursday... :help:

I walked into a local mom and pop golf shop. I had 2 golf clubs that needed their lie angles strengthened. The tech was with someone so he told me to come back in a couple of hours. 2 hours later ... I stop back at the shop with my clubs. He was with someone else. HE THEN ASKED ME TO COME BACK IN AN HOUR. I walked out and let the staff know that I would not be coming back. I've spent plenty of money there. I know. 1st world problems. But I believe the tech could of handled the situation a little better. They are a mom and pop store touting CUSTOMER SERVICE. He could have taken my clubs and asked me to CALL him later to describe what I wanted. Oh well .... I'll be spending my money at a big box PGA Superstore. I told my wife and she told me I'm a spoiled man-child. Oh well.

Reactions: 9 users
Ooh, my turn! I'm moving to a new city for work and my dog has just straight up chosen my boyfriend. The first 3 nights at my new place the poor thing cried for HOURS and I gave in and drove him over to my boyfriend's place. WHAT THE HECK MAN? This was my dog way before the boyfriend, how could he betray me this way?!!

Reactions: 8 users
The other day I was at the doctor office with my mom. She is being seen by the nurse practitioner instead of the neurologist because you know how they can't make time for their patients like my mom hasn't seen him yet and that was her second visit!

Anyway, my mom phone started ringing and as I was trying to silence it. The nurse practitioner gets annoyed and tells me: can you please make your phone silent, I can't concentrate.

It was like ringing for less than 20 seconds. I am really surprised by her condensing tone, and I tell her it's not my phone! It's my mom's phone. I honestly felt I was back in school and got scolded haha, but even at my university, they don't scold you like that!
Of course, I stayed silent! But wow! How rude!

I don't know, this is the second neurologist that seems to act so crazy, and my mom sees like 10 doctors yearly, and no one acts this way! So weird! :lame:

Last edited:
Lol I'm 22 and still break out frequently. Lately with the interviews (stress+wearing make up all day+tired+eating fast food) it has been getting worse :(

I walked into a local mom and pop golf shop. I had 2 golf clubs that needed their lie angles strengthened. The tech was with someone so he told me to come back in a couple of hours. 2 hours later ... I stop back at the shop with my clubs. He was with someone else. HE THEN ASKED ME TO COME BACK IN AN HOUR. I walked out and let the staff know that I would not be coming back. I've spent plenty of money there. I know. 1st world problems. But I believe the tech could of handled the situation a little better. They are a mom and pop store touting CUSTOMER SERVICE. He could have taken my clubs and asked me to CALL him later to describe what I wanted. Oh well .... I'll be spending my money at a big box PGA Superstore. I told my wife and she told me I'm a spoiled man-child. Oh well.

I would be pissed as well!

Also new rant for today... my biochemistry class (it's okay, that's my major = my choice to subject myself to this punishment :laugh:) we have a homework due Thursday, a homework due Tuesday, and an exam next Thursday... :help:
I plan to take Biochem 2 next semester :oops:

I guess that's technically what you would call the class I'm in now. Although I'm finding it easier than Intro. .

My Biochem 1 professor was a gem. He even watched anime and we would talk about anime with him; he was a Naruto fan lol and one piece. He was so cool, he even said from day 1 if you gonna ask for LOR, just get to know me from the start, don't come at the final week and ask for LOR.
He made the materials so fun, it wasn't an easy class but he made it bearable. I think he is an oddity in the chemistry and biology department combined haha.

But he is not gonna teach Biochem 2, the other professor is his complete opposite. I heard he is so strict and serious.

I’m crying. I didn’t know how much I needed to anonymously vent. I’m a finance major as a pre-dent and there’s this one class that the professor is just terrible. He marks correct answers wrong, does not teach and doesn’t know the material himself. I’m struggling and am so worried I won’t pass. And then there’s the fear of not getting into dental school. I hate waiting and it’s just killing me a bit each day. I can’t connevt with people anymore because I’m just so mentally drained and I have to hold back tears from stress everyday when I’m in public. I just want it all to go away so I can be myself again

I’m crying. I didn’t know how much I needed to anonymously vent. I’m a finance major as a pre-dent and there’s this one class that the professor is just terrible. He marks correct answers wrong, does not teach and doesn’t know the material himself. I’m struggling and am so worried I won’t pass. And then there’s the fear of not getting into dental school. I hate waiting and it’s just killing me a bit each day. I can’t connevt with people anymore because I’m just so mentally drained and I have to hold back tears from stress everyday when I’m in public. I just want it all to go away so I can be myself again
Sounds like you need a break :) hang in there.

I am sorry about what you are going through. I was in your place last year. I was so stressed, we had a lot of family health issues and I was worried about them and stuff, at the same time, I was trying to study for the DAT in the middle of all that. It was like now or never, I even applied late, but couldn't take the DAT in time to be considered. I noticed that my skin was suffering and also I gained like some pounds out of stress. I looked in the mirror and I didn't like what I was seeing!

I said screw it! You know what! I am not gonna make this test ruin my health or my sanity!
I took some months off. Went back to the gym again, lost all the weight I gained haha. Traveled to another city. Then after relaxing; I started studying again, and this time I worked part-time and had a balanced attitude!

What I am trying to say here, yes you might not get in this year, it's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world. You can try next year and if you didn't get in this year, I am sure you will get in next year!
As for the professor!

We are still in October now! You still have a lot of time.

Your only way to do well in this class is to act dumb! Be the best student your professor want!
Go to his class at every office hours! Prepare questions to ask, even if you don't like his explanation; it's just a routine to make him like you and if ever come a time where he thinks you need a few points to pass; he will grant you that because he knows you have been a diligent and good student who cared! Trust me, the toughest professor will help you if he thinks you are trying your best!
At the same time, try to get a tutor, and also watch videos on this topic on youtube.
Don't lose hope! You will pass and I hope you get in this year!

What the name of the class you are struggling with?

Last advice is to keep going to the gym or run/hike every day, this will surely relax you!
Don't stress yourself too much, stress hurt us more than anything else!

How about you go have some fun nights or some nice place on the weekend?

Anyone else here constantly think that there is no possible way they can do dental school from everything they hear.

for me I get extremely unmotivated studying for my exams in undergrad knowing that if I am having difficulty with this, how am I possibly going to do dental school. I think about it each time I study for any undergrad exam and it completely unmotivates me.

any advice?

Anyone else here constantly think that there is no possible way they can do dental school from everything they hear.

for me I get extremely unmotivated studying for my exams in undergrad knowing that if I am having difficulty with this, how am I possibly going to do dental school. I think about it each time I study for any undergrad exam and it completely unmotivates me.

any advice?
No, I had an interview last week and those students genuinely seemed happy. Even the ones that were not a part of the tour. They were excited to show us around their operatories and ask how our day was going. I am so excited and praying I hear back from this school.
As far as advice goes, if I could give you one piece, it would be to get used to asking questions and feeling dumb lol I am not afraid to ask questions and I think that is a great skill. Keep your motivation your "why" in the back of your head and it will all work out.

I am sorry about what you are going through. I was in your place last year. I was so stressed, we had a lot of family health issues and I was worried about them and stuff, at the same time, I was trying to study for the DAT in the middle of all that. It was like now or never, I even applied late, but couldn't take the DAT in time to be considered. I noticed that my skin was suffering and also I gained like some pounds out of stress. I looked in the mirror and I didn't like what I was seeing!

I said screw it! You know what! I am not gonna make this test ruin my health or my sanity!
I took some months off. Went back to the gym again, lost all the weight I gained haha. Traveled to another city. Then after relaxing; I started studying again, and this time I worked part-time and had a balanced attitude!

What I am trying to say here, yes you might not get in this year, it's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world. You can try next year and if you didn't get in this year, I am sure you will get in next year!
As for the professor!

We are still in October now! You still have a lot of time.

Your only way to do well in this class is to act dumb! Be the best student your professor want!
Go to his class at every office hours! Prepare questions to ask, even if you don't like his explanation; it's just a routine to make him like you and if ever come a time where he thinks you need a few points to pass; he will grant you that because he knows you have been a diligent and good student who cared! Trust me, the toughest professor will help you if he thinks you are trying your best!
At the same time, try to get a tutor, and also watch videos on this topic on youtube.
Don't lose hope! You will pass and I hope you get in this year!

What the name of the class you are struggling with?

Last advice is to keep going to the gym or run/hike every day, this will surely relax you!
Don't stress yourself too much, stress hurt us more than anything else!

How about you go have some fun nights or some nice place on the weekend? .

The class is called Managing Investment Portfolios. I’m not a business kind of person but I’ve done really well in my other finance classes. This professor literally tells us to just refer to the book or laughs and says we should know this. And I’m not the only one with a problem. Everyone in this class and the other class he teaches feels the same way. I’m just trying to teach myself as much as possible in hopes I can just pass.

And for dental school, I know I have above average stats. I’ve shadowed/volunteered in the dental field for over 600hrs and am qualified as a dental assistant. So many people tell me not to worry, that I’ll get in. But then every dental forum I’m on, I see students I feel like out performed me on academics or the interview and I just begin to feel bad about myself. The whole process has driven my confidence down the drain, which is surprising because I was never the type to compare myself to others in school.

But thank you for listening to me. All I can do is believe in myself

any advice?

Hey! Everyone’s dental school experience is different. I have a close friend who’s in his first year and he absolutely loves every second of it! Of course it is difficult, but you’re more than capable of handling the rigorous coursework if you’ve done pretty well in undergrad and killed the DAT. Not everything is going to come easy. You will come across material that you don’t understand at first and that’s okay. You just have to work slightly harder to get it.

Plus the experience differs a lot between those who are trying hard to specialize and those okay with B’s

I'm mad at myself because if I didn't screw around and act like an idiot my first 2/2.5 years, I would have applied to dental school this past summer and would have been in the midst of interview season. Instead, here I am retaking orgo (gonna retake a couple more classes as well), with a low GPA and its going to take A LOT of hard work to fix my grades. And I started working this year (as a realtor) as well so it's great. Interestingly enough, having all this on my plate keeps me more focused. I just hope I can make it, I think I have the smarts, I just needed to be more disciplined from the get-go.

any advice?
Dental school goes by so fast. You literally don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done that you need to get done. It pretty much forces you to be motivated. In undergrad when I had more free time, I would often get lazy and unmotivated.

Let me give you an analogy. Imagine you have a final exam for a class tomorrow and you haven't even started studying for it. Are you going to feel motivated? Hell yeah! That's what every class feels like. So much information. Not enough time.

Reactions: 3 users
Dental school goes by so fast. You literally don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done that you need to get done. It pretty much forces you to be motivated. In undergrad when I had more free time, I would often get lazy and unmotivated.

Let me give you an analogy. Imagine you have a final exam for a class tomorrow and you haven't even started studying for it. Are you going to feel motivated? Hell yeah! That's what every class feels like. So much information. Not enough time.

dental school is like drinking from a fire hose...

I'm mad at myself because if I didn't screw around and act like an idiot my first 2/2.5 years, I would have applied to dental school this past summer and would have been in the midst of interview season. Instead, here I am retaking orgo (gonna retake a couple more classes as well), with a low GPA and its going to take A LOT of hard work to fix my grades. And I started working this year (as a realtor) as well so it's great. Interestingly enough, having all this on my plate keeps me more focused. I just hope I can make it, I think I have the smarts, I just needed to be more disciplined from the get-go.

I hear you. I dicked around too in undergrad and wasn't as focused as I could have been. Do I regret it? A bit. It does sting knowing if I had done better and gotten accepted from the get-go, I would be in my third year of DS by now if I applied straight after undergrad. My naive self thought if I do X, Y, Z in extracurriculars, leadership, and volunteering, it could slightly make up for my grades. Boy, was I a fool for thinking so :rolleyes: The more I've been in this game, the more I realize it's all about numbers and network. But there's no sense in dwelling on the past. You just have to keep on progressing forward and improve yourself day by day. We'll both get there eventually.

I think that's whats helping me do better actually. It's so ironic lol.

I hear you. I dicked around too in undergrad and wasn't as focused as I could have been. Do I regret it? A bit. It does sting knowing if I had done better and gotten accepted from the get-go, I would be in my third year of DS by now if I applied straight after undergrad. My naive self thought if I do X, Y, Z in extracurriculars, leadership, and volunteering, it could slightly make up for my grades. Boy, was I a fool for thinking so :rolleyes: The more I've been in this game, the more I realize it's all about numbers and network. But there's no sense in dwelling on the past. You just have to keep on progressing forward and improve yourself day by day. We'll both get there eventually.

I hope so man. I hope so.

Here’s my rant: I don’t know how I’m going survive the next two months. I just had an interview recently that I thought went pretty well, but I’m constantly replaying the conversation in my head. I think about how I could’ve said something differently, should’ve mentioned this and that, and been less nervous overall. I have tried filling my time with work and the gym (in my gap year), but thoughts about dental school always find a way to creep into my mind. I wish I can relax and patiently wait for December 3rd, but I’m already going crazy. Everyone that I’ve talked to seems relatively relaxed and excited, but I’m constantly stressing and worrying about the unknown.

Reactions: 7 users
Nobody has ever tried drinking water from a fire hose
But this guy said f it and went straight after a fire hydrant.

8B0D3C0C-51FD-4772-8B9B-6099766D0EF1.jpeg

Big Hoss

Here’s my rant: I don’t know how I’m going survive the next two months. I just had an interview recently that I thought went pretty well, but I’m constantly replaying the conversation in my head. I think about how I could’ve said something differently, should’ve mentioned this and that, and been less nervous overall. I have tried filling my time with work and the gym (in my gap year), but thoughts about dental school always find a way to creep into my mind. I wish I can relax and patiently wait for December 3rd, but I’m already going crazy. Everyone that I’ve talked to seems relatively relaxed and excited, but I’m constantly stressing and worrying about the unknown.

Same. I'm pretty much coping with the stress by telling myself that I'm not getting in anywhere so that if I get rejections, I "saw it coming" and if I get acceptances, I'm pleasantly surprised. Probably not the best/healthiest way to go about waiting lol

Reactions: 5 users

We ALL do it girl, you're not alone! I have at least one answer I beat myself up over at every interview! So to calm your nerves, just remember that everyone else feels the same way and did the same things. We were all just as nervous, and in retrospect we could've all answered MUCH more eloquently and painted ourselves in better lights. The bar I've set for a good interview is not crying (I'm a crier). If I manage to not cry, then I'd call it a success, it happens pretty frequently! So if you navigated the whole interview without a single tear, kudos to you !

I could tell you that people are not as relaxed as they seem, but even if they are, you've at least got one other girl (ME) freaking out right there with ya.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK !!

Reactions: 4 users
We ALL do it girl, you're not alone! I have at least one answer I beat myself up over at every interview! So to calm your nerves, just remember that everyone else feels the same way and did the same things. We were all just as nervous, and in retrospect we could've all answered MUCH more eloquently and painted ourselves in better lights. The bar I've set for a good interview is not crying (I'm a crier). If I manage to not cry, then I'd call it a success, it happens pretty frequently! So if you navigated the whole interview without a single tear, kudos to you !

I could tell you that people are not as relaxed as they seem, but even if they are, you've at least got one other girl (ME) freaking out right there with ya.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK !!
Do you mean crying during or after an interview?

Same. I'm pretty much coping with the stress by telling myself that I'm not getting in anywhere so that if I get rejections, I "saw it coming" and if I get acceptances, I'm pleasantly surprised. Probably not the best/healthiest way to go about waiting lol

This is my survival method. My brother taught me this when I was young; he always told me to assume the worst so I get happy if something good happens and I'll be Ok if the worst did happen. Now, I live by that code lol.
A pessimistic level 100 :smug:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users