Rant about it here .....Daily Rants.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just stressed about this whole process all because of mistakes that I made freshman and sophomore years.

My cGPA is gonna be at a 3.0 or very slightly below (2.95-2.99) when I graduate this Spring. My sGPA with 54 credits is a 2.34. I didn't have my head on straight and it resulted in a terrible, terrible performances in my science classes. oh and I decided to change my major like a dumb*** so theres that too.

I'm "scared" I won't do well in the 400 level bio class I'm taking, I need to retake chem lab 1 (third time)
and chem 2 over the summer, and I still need to take the physics sequence. I've never taken physics in my life and I haven't taken a math class in like 4 years.

I'm also scared ****less for the DAT. idk if I can do well on it.

so what do I do? I want to take physics at my (soon to be) alma mater since they don't require a math class beforehand. I'm just scared I'm gonna do poorly and have to retake yet ANOTHER pre-req. and I can't really apply/attend a SMP until I complete the pre-reqs and take my DAT. Should I go for a regular masters in bio?

I'm just stressed and anxious about this whole thing. I really really really wish I didn't mess around so much.

I guess the good thing is I retook chem 1 and got a B-, retook orgo and got an A. my grades for chem 1 lab are C-, F, and hopefully an A this summer. my school makes chem 1 unnecessarily difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just stressed about this whole process all because of mistakes that I made freshman and sophomore years.

My cGPA is gonna be at a 3.0 or very slightly below (2.95-2.99) when I graduate this Spring. My sGPA with 54 credits is a 2.34. I didn't have my head on straight and it resulted in a terrible, terrible performances in my science classes. oh and I decided to change my major like a dumb*** so theres that too.

I'm "scared" I won't do well in the 400 level bio class I'm taking, I need to retake chem lab 1 (third time)
and chem 2 over the summer, and I still need to take the physics sequence. I've never taken physics in my life and I haven't taken a math class in like 4 years.

I'm also scared ****less for the DAT. idk if I can do well on it.

so what do I do? I want to take physics at my (soon to be) alma mater since they don't require a math class beforehand. I'm just scared I'm gonna do poorly and have to retake yet ANOTHER pre-req. and I can't really apply/attend a SMP until I complete the pre-reqs and take my DAT. Should I go for a regular masters in bio?

I'm just stressed and anxious about this whole thing. I really really really wish I didn't mess around so much.

I guess the good thing is I retook chem 1 and got a B-, retook orgo and got an A. my grades for chem 1 lab are C-, F, and hopefully an A this summer. my school makes chem 1 unnecessarily difficult.

Stressing right now won't help you, it will only make you feel sick, you will be sad, withdrawn, and might gain or lose weight significantly.
What's done is done, you can't change your past. You just need to take it easy on yourself and celebrate your small victories. Taking B or A are victories.

Take your time to fix your gpa, you are still young and you don't have to graduate early if you are not ready, take your time and don't take too many classes so you can get good scores and also relax and rest a bit.

My pet conure died last night. We had taken him to the vet because he was coughing and I was concerned. He went in perfectly normal appearing but apparently had a lot of gram negative bacteria in his system (no immune response to g- bacteria). He had his blood drawn but it didn’t clot for some reason and he died from bleeding out. I feel so powerless. We did everything right and then he died from this? No food he couldn’t eat, no non stick cookware, no bad chemicals in the house, healthy bird food, lots of healthy treats and he still died. Birds are so fragile I don’t think I can ever have another.

My apartment feels huge without him. For a small animal (65g) he had a huge presence. He was constantly singing and talking back to us, making random noises to himself, dropping toys and playthings, and just bopping his head on random stuff. Doing the dishes? There he was. Folding laundry? He was “helping.” I have baskets and perches of his all over the house because he would fly from room to room to be with me when I would walk around the house.

We were approaching a year anniversary of his adoption and his previous owners had him for two. We didn’t even have him for a year and he was so young. Conures live ten years normally but we took such good care of him I honestly expected him to stay with us for so much longer.

I’m picking him up from the vet this morning so I can bury him. I am quite hurt and don’t really know how to process this. What should I do? What can I do?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My pet conure died last night. We had taken him to the vet because he was coughing and I was concerned. He went in perfectly normal appearing but apparently had a lot of gram negative bacteria in his system (no immune response to g- bacteria). He had his blood drawn but it didn’t clot for some reason and he died from bleeding out. I feel so powerless. We did everything right and then he died from this? No food he couldn’t eat, no non stick cookware, no bad chemicals in the house, healthy bird food, lots of healthy treats and he still died. Birds are so fragile I don’t think I can ever have another.

My apartment feels huge without him. For a small animal (65g) he had a huge presence. He was constantly singing and talking back to us, making random noises to himself, dropping toys and playthings, and just bopping his head on random stuff. Doing the dishes? There he was. Folding laundry? He was “helping.” I have baskets and perches of his all over the house because he would fly from room to room to be with me when I would walk around the house.

We were approaching a year anniversary of his adoption and his previous owners had him for two. We didn’t even have him for a year and he was so young. Conures live ten years normally but we took such good care of him I honestly expected him to stay with us for so much longer.

I’m picking him up from the vet this morning so I can bury him. I am quite hurt and don’t really know how to process this. What should I do? What can I do?
Sorry for your loss. Keep its memory alive by thinking of your beloved pet often. Sending positive vibes.

Reactions: 3 users
Stressing right now won't help you, it will only make you feel sick, you will be sad, withdrawn, and might gain or lose weight significantly.
What's done is done, you can't change your past. You just need to take it easy on yourself and celebrate your small victories. Taking B or A are victories.

Take your time to fix your gpa, you are still young and you don't have to graduate early if you are not ready, take your time and don't take too many classes so you can get good scores and also relax and rest a bit.

I understand. its just frustrating when I know I could have done better. thank you.

I am so sorry for your loss, this is devastating. I have two fish and I can't imagine losing them and fish are fragile too :(
You did everything you could; there is nothing you could have done better. It was not your fault, that was just his lifespan.
I am sure if there is an afterlife, he will remember you as a good friend and he'll watch over you.
If there is no afterlife, then he lived a good life with you and you offered him the best life you could within the circumstances.

Stay strong.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I'm gonna fail my 400 level bio class because I'm such a slow reader for this class. Reading and then taking notes for this particular class takes FOREVER. how am I gonna succeed in other upper level bios if I suck so far? how am I even gonna absorb the material for this class if I'm so slow at bio reading?

I feel like I'm gonna fail my 400 level bio class because I'm such a slow reader for this class. Reading and then taking notes for this particular class takes FOREVER. how am I gonna succeed in other upper level bios if I suck so far? how am I even gonna absorb the material for this class if I'm so slow at bio reading?

Utilize flashcards on quizlet
and only read the powerpoints and try to find youtube videos to accompany that

Feels like kind of a dumb rant but here it goes. I've been accepted to 4 schools, and I am extremely thankful for that. It feels good knowing that 4 schools want me to attend. I've been working endlessly on applying for the HPSP scholarship through the Army and Air Force since July 2018. I was so sure that with my stats, motivational statement, etc. that I would be a shoo in for a scholarship. Today, I saw a bunch of people saying they were selected for the Army scholarship. I excitedly texted my recruiter asking if he got results, and he just said I was placed on the Order of Merit List, which is basically a waitlist. I'm so discouraged because I've worked so hard for months in order to get one, but now I'm waitlisted and have to pray that 1. people reject their offer, and 2. I'm high enough on the list to get selected in their place. What's even worse is that I only have until February 6th to put a deposit down at my top choice school, and I realistically can only afford to attend if I have this scholarship.

Non-dental rant. Yesterday morning a hacker removed approx. $60,000 from one of my Wells Fargo accts. The money was transferred to a Vanguard brokerage that is a legit business. The transfer has routing information designating Vanguard as the receiver of the money. Essentially they are washing stolen money into a legit company as investment proceeds. Later .... they cash out of the investment proceeds.

The good news. I will get my money back. Money is insured at Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo recognized the suspicious withdrawel and immediately suspended my accts. Also ... Vanguard is cooperating and have told the police that they indeed have the deposit (my money) under a fictitious acct name and number. We had to file a police report. The police said there were other reports of this type of activity.

I've had my business credit card number criminally used a couple of times, but I have never had a personal acct hacked. Very scary. Police detective told me that this is happening all the time ... which I knew, but didn't ever think would happen to me.

Welcome to the online world. I'm thinking about the tried and true strategy of just placing the money under my mattress.

Reactions: 8 users
Glad Wells Fargo was on the ball and your money is safe. I had a credit card compromised last year but my limit is only $2,000 so quite different.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
do you think I should even bother reading the textbook at all?

If your lecture slides are in details and you can understand them, no need for the book unless for the end of the chapter review and questions which I find that they are helpful sometimes.
If your lecture slides are not good, search google for another lecture slides, as many professors share their slides online.

It's ok to be rejected by a school that was not your top choice or your favorite.
Actually, the school was probably my last choice, but whatever, this is not the point here.

What annoys me is how the same school that rejected me is sending me now an invitation to join their pharmacy program saying I am a good candidate or what not.

I feel like this is like really disrespectful, it is as if they never looked at my application or anything, they got their money, rejected us and then they ask us to apply yet again to another program, spend money and then get rejected again lol.

and heck no, it was not a mistake, they send a second email apologizing, so I was like, maybe they are apologizing because it was a mistake, but then they were apologizing because they are saying they are sending the message again for their pharmacy program.

Nowhere on my application, I mentioned anything about loving Pharmacy, shadowing a pharmacist or working in any pharmacy!

So, you gotta wonder how some of these schools are downright scammers lol

It's ok to be rejected by a school that was not your top choice or your favorite.
Actually, the school was probably my last choice, but whatever, this is not the point here.

What annoys me is how the same school that rejected me is sending me now an invitation to join their pharmacy program saying I am a good candidate or what not.

I feel like this is like really disrespectful, it is as if they never looked at my application or anything, they got their money, rejected us and then they ask us to apply yet again to another program, spend money and then get rejected again lol.

and heck no, it was not a mistake, they send a second email apologizing, so I was like, maybe they are apologizing because it was a mistake, but then they were apologizing because they are saying they are sending the message again for their pharmacy program.

Nowhere on my application, I mentioned anything about loving Pharmacy, shadowing a pharmacist or working in any pharmacy!

Western emailed me saying my dat was competitive but I didn’t apply there. The rest of the cycle I kept getting emails about their pharmacy program. Pretty annoying!

Lol the entire post-high school education system in the U.S. is a scam.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol the entire post-high school education system in the U.S. is a scam.

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone else realized this. This is especially applicable to people on this website, since there really isn't a point to go to school for 4 years then apply to med/dental/pharmacy/optometry schools. Also, there is a huge push to make everyone go to college, and what you end up with is an oversaturated market of people with degrees, thus lowering the value of the degree. Slowly, a bachelor's degree is becoming the new high school diploma.

Big F in the chat. Basically the same for out med school friends. They spend a bunch of dough only to be emailed about podiatry and biomed masters programs.

We spend so much money on applications it's crazy. It would be easier if they'd just send rejections and a list of what you could do to improve rather than try to make more money off us.

It really isn’t a scam. You have to put in your time in order to get into such a good job. If they didn’t have these restrictions and requirements for schooling then every other person would be a doctor/dentist. Which obviously isn’t realistic.

It really isn’t a scam. You have to put in your time in order to get into such a good job. If they didn’t have these restrictions and requirements for schooling then every other person would be a doctor/dentist. Which obviously isn’t realistic.

How many post highschoolers really know exactly and without doubt what they want to be in the future?

How many post highschoolers really know exactly and without doubt what they want to be in the future?
Exactly if you had a bunch of 18 year olds starting dental/medical school what percentage would actually finish? The way it is today nearly everyone who starts medical/dental school at 22+ finish.

Exactly if you had a bunch of 18 year olds starting dental/medical school what percentage would actually finish? The way it is today nearly everyone who starts medical/dental school at 22+ finish.

I think you missed his point. Having 18 year olds go thousands of dollars into debt for a degree they might not even like is an issue. I think most people would be in a lot better of a position if they waited a year or two before going to college. I would have benefited from a gap year or two.

I think you missed his point. Having 18 year olds go thousands of dollars into debt for a degree they might not even like is an issue. I think most people would be in a lot better of a position if they waited a year or two before going to college. I would have benefited from a gap year or two.
I disagree. Part of college is figuring out what you want to do that’s why so many people to switch their degree so many times during college.

I disagree. Part of college is figuring out what you want to do that’s why so many people to switch their degree so many times during college.

And you shouldn't need to pay $20,000 per year while taking general credits to figure out what you want to do.

Reactions: 5 users
And you shouldn't need to pay $20,000 per year while taking general credits to figure out what you want to do.
You don’t need to. I came to Utah for school and tuition is only 2,500 per semester as in state. They also commonly give out of state waivers (which I got) that give you instate tuition from the beginning. If you are willing to go to less desirable places for school it’s cheap as dirt if not free. Problem is most want to be in coastal states and choose to pay that premium.

You don’t need to. I came to Utah for school and tuition is only 2,500 per semester as in state. They also commonly give out of state waivers (which I got) that give you instate tuition from the beginning. If you are willing to go to less desirable places for school it’s cheap as dirt if not free. Problem is most want to be in coastal states and choose to pay that premium.
Uhhhhh not everyone is that lucky. My in state tuition at Oklahoma was $5k per semester. Not a coastal state. Oh and it took me an extra year of "premium" pay cause I changed my major. Not that it even mattered for dental school.

Uhhhhh not everyone is that lucky. My in state tuition at Oklahoma was $5k per semester. Not a coastal state. Oh and it took me an extra year of "premium" pay cause I changed my major. Not that it even mattered for dental school.

He neglected cost of living too. Rent + food burns a whole in the budget.

A part time job should cover all the costs. Anyone going 20k in the hole per year for undergrad is being irresponsible imo.
Lol you fail to understand other people's/most people's situation. You can only see the "ideal" as well as your own situation. It's a known fact that student loans are a huge problem in the United States for both undergrad and professional education. Especially when you consider how difficult it is to find a job right out of undergrad.

Lol you fail to understand other people's/most people's situation. You can only see the "ideal" as well as your own situation. It's a known fact that student loans are a huge problem in the United States for both undergrad and professional education. Especially when you consider how difficult it is to find a job right out of undergrad.
No, I just think that the majority of students in the US are taking unnecessary loans during undergrad. Either going to the expensive school, buying a nice car, eating out a lot, not workin part time during undergrad, not applying for scholarships etc. The people I know that take the bus to school, pack a lunch, and go to their cheapest option take minimal loans if any. There are ways to reduce the cost of your undergrad degree. I still stand that 20k of loans per year for undergrad is way too much and anyone taking that much isn’t being responsible.

So what do all the students who live in the east or west coast do, I would like to see how this would have obviously not economic effect on current low COL areas/schools

You just described the system to become a dentist/doctor in the rest of the world lol. I haven't heard about a shortage of dentists in Europe. We should start treating 18 year old as adults they are, capable of taking decisions about their future.

You just described the system to become a dentist/doctor in the rest of the world lol. I haven't heard about a shortage of dentists in Europe. We should start treating 18 year old as adults they are, capable of taking decisions about their future.
The UK will never have a shortage of dentists! Lol

It seems we may have gotten off topic. Pretty sure we were talking about the expenses to apply just to be rejected. They are too expensive.

It seems we may have gotten off topic. Pretty sure we were talking about the expenses to apply just to be rejected. They are too expensive.
Which makes it seem like a scam, especially when you KNOW that a school didn't look at your application (ie a school suggesting a masters program when you're about to finish one and then telling you you don't have recent volunteer hours after being called out about the masters suggestion but you've actually been volunteering consistently and it's clearly included in your application. At least that's what happened to a friend of a friend). I recently listened to a podcast on which someone from Howard who served on an adcom clearly stated that a lot of schools don't look beyond the first two pages of applications.

Which makes it seem like a scam, especially when you KNOW that a school didn't look at your application (ie a school suggesting a masters program when you're about to finish one and then telling you you don't have recent volunteer hours after being called out about the masters suggestion but you've actually been volunteering consistently and it's clearly included in your application. At least that's what happened to a friend of a friend). I recently listened to a podcast on which someone from Howard who served on an adcom clearly stated that a lot of schools don't look beyond the first two pages of applications.
Protip:make your app 2 pages lol

Preach, my brother.

My rant of the day which may seem stupid but it's legit for me

I've been calculating my age when I'm going to be done with studies. I just got accepted to a dental school so I'll be 27 when I'm done. However if I end up specializing I'll be around 30. I'm Asian and in our culture that's considered bit late. I'm scared of arranged marriages (I would have my say though) and the fact that I may agree to it just because of my age. I'm saying arranged marriage because I doubt I'm going to find anyone until I'm done with studying. My future life scares me this way :(

I've been calculating my age when I'm going to be done with studies. I just got accepted to a dental school so I'll be 27 when I'm done. However if I end up specializing I'll be around 30. I'm Asian and in our culture that's considered bit late. I'm scared of arranged marriages (I would have my say though) and the fact that I may agree to it just because of my age. I'm saying arranged marriage because I doubt I'm going to find anyone until I'm done with studying. My future life scares me this way :(

You are in America now.
It's up to you to let archaic traditions rule your life or not.

You will find someone eventually and actually even if you didn't it is not that big of a deal you will be busy with your life and career. Marriage does not define who you are!
I would rather live alone than be with someone that is wrong for me just to please people or Gasp let them not talk bad about me lol.

News flash these relatives and acquaintances will talk bad about you anyway. If you are single, they will make fun of you and if you are married they will make fun of your husband/wife or your kids, so they will talk and talk and talk, it is up to you to associate yourself with such people or let them affect your happiness.

A positive way to look at the future is to think about arranged marriage as a backup plan

Like if you couldn't find someone in 7-8 years from now, then tada your great aunty will find you the one and you can always say no if she/he is not that good!

So, don't worry too much. Things will sort themselves eventually.

My advice is if you have a lot of pressure from your community is to move away from home and start making your own community so they don't pressure you.

Last edited:
so I'll be 27 when I'm done. However if I end up specializing I'll be around 30.
I'll be 32 when I graduate as a General Dentist. I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either. You've made it.

If we are both 30 and single I’ll marry you

Reactions: 5 users
You are in America now.
It's up to you to let archaic traditions rule your life or not.

You will find someone eventually and actually even if you didn't it is not that big of a deal you will be busy with your life and career. Marriage does not define who you are!
I would rather live alone than be with someone that is wrong for me just to please people or Gasp let them not talk bad about me lol.

News flash these relatives and acquaintances will talk bad about you anyway. If you are single, they will make fun of you and if you are married they will make fun of your husband/wife or your kids, so they will talk and talk and talk, it is up to you to associate yourself with such people or let them affect your happiness.

A positive way to look at the future is to think about arranged marriage as a backup plan

Like if you couldn't find someone in 7-8 years from now, then tada your great aunty will find you the one and you can always say no if she/he is not that good!

So, don't worry too much. Things will sort themselves eventually.

My advice is if you have a lot of pressure from your community is to move away from home and start making your own community so they don't pressure you.
Thanks! This helped a bit.

I'm FURIOUS after getting my bio test back. 12/20 people got an A. Average was a B+, and I got a B. The part that frustrates me is I knew all the stuff, I don't understand how I lost points. I'm so mad its ridiculous.

I'm FURIOUS after getting my bio test back. 12/20 people got an A. Average was a B+, and I got a B. The part that frustrates me is I knew all the stuff, I don't understand how I lost points. I'm so mad its ridiculous.

Sorry about that, can't you meet your professor in his/her office hour and discuss your test and see your mistakes.