Rant about it here .....Daily Rants.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All the waitlists I am on are “unranked” it would be nice to know where I stand...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
We got back our final grades for this semester, and I'm fuming. I got a B in a class where I've taken two other classes with the professor and got an A both times. then in a history class I got a C+. I retook orgo and got an A. In my philosophy class I got a B+. TBD what I get in Spanish. I'm mad because I need amazing grades to boost my GPA up and I was NOT expecting anything lower than an A in the first class I mentioned. I'm also not gonna take a class with the 2nd professor again.

Next semester I have a bunch of classes for my major and 2 bio classes (endocrinology and biopharmacology). I hope I can do well.

We got back our final grades for this semester, and I'm fuming. I got a B in a class where I've taken two other classes with the professor and got an A both times. then in a history class I got a C+. I retook orgo and got an A. In my philosophy class I got a B+. TBD what I get in Spanish. I'm mad because I need amazing grades to boost my GPA up and I was NOT expecting anything lower than an A in the first class I mentioned. I'm also not gonna take a class with the 2nd professor again.

Next semester I have a bunch of classes for my major and 2 bio classes (endocrinology and biopharmacology). I hope I can do well.

Sorry about the B, and I hope you get better grades next semester, don't beat yourself up, you worked hard and grades don't matter that much.
Apparently, they care more about the DAT anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the B, and I hope you get better grades next semester, don't beat yourself up, you worked hard and grades don't matter that much.
Apparently, they care more about the DAT anyway.

At this point it’s whatever, nothing I can do about it. I just need to keep my head up.

Reactions: 1 user
That moment where you're in the middle of taking a Full Length Bootcamp exam and you accidentally press refresh in the middle of PAT... :cryi:
I've just been so wound up about my DAT that I just burst out crying and my mom and dad gave me ice cream to cheer me up. Took me a whole hour to redo the entire exam because I barely remembered my previous answers.

DAT studying sucks. I missed all of fun, spooky, October, a Disneyland trip, Thanksgiving, my birthday, all the Christmas/holiday feels, and I'm going to miss New Years. And I miss snowboarding. I haven't had a single break from school since I was a freshman in high school. So around 9 years. Whether I'm taking summer classes, studying during the winter, etc. I'm in desperate need of a break from school for like...3 months.

Reactions: 2 users
That moment where you're in the middle of taking a Full Length Bootcamp exam and you accidentally press refresh in the middle of PAT... :cryi:
I've just been so wound up about my DAT that I just burst out crying and my mom and dad gave me ice cream to cheer me up. Took me a whole hour to redo the entire exam because I barely remembered my previous answers.

DAT studying sucks. I missed all of fun, spooky, October, a Disneyland trip, Thanksgiving, my birthday, all the Christmas/holiday feels, and I'm going to miss New Years. And I miss snowboarding. I haven't had a single break from school since I was a freshman in high school. So around 9 years. Whether I'm taking summer classes, studying during the winter, etc. I'm in desperate need of a break from school for like...3 months.
We’ve all been there. It’ll be worth it when you get your first acceptance :)

Reactions: 4 users

I felt like this. Studying for the DAT is a mentally and physically draining process but it’s just an obstacle you have to overcome in order to achieve your dream. When you see the scores on the screen you’ll (hopefully) forget all the pain and it’ll all be worth it.

Reactions: 6 users

You will do all of the above with your family in the future :) Right now, just a little more push and climbing. Stay well!

So, this is the second time I see this dream, in my dream, there is this school that I need to apply to before its deadline but when I wake up, I can't even remember its name!
:wideyed:

Reactions: 1 users
@jLaws @pma96 @Firik You guys are all right. Just gotta keep grinding. I'm scared out of my mind for those scores to pop up on the screen. But I'm praying I wont be disappointed.

@jLaws @pma96 @Firik You guys are all right. Just gotta keep grinding. I'm scared out of my mind for those scores to pop up on the screen. But I'm praying I wont be disappointed.
Just put in the hard work and I'm sure you won't!:)

Good luck @fb0301 I'm sure you'll do fine. Anybody willing to give up a trip to Disney just to study more deserves a good score.

@AppalachianDentalBoy Thank you so much :( Missing Disneyland during the holidays seriously sucked. I really, really, really pray it goes well. I'm not the best or smartest student out there but I have been grinding. Please keep me in your prayers or send good vibes my way!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had a single break from school since I was a freshman in high school. So around 9 years. Whether I'm taking summer classes, studying during the winter, etc. I'm in desperate need of a break from school for like...3 months.
You should take a gap year before starting dental school. It'll be good for you to reset mentally. Dental school is extremely tough and its best you start having relaxed your mind and taken a break. You don't want to feel burnt out in your first year of dental school. I personally took an even longer gap between undergrad and dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
You should take a gap year before starting dental school. It'll be good for you to reset mentally. Dental school is extremely tough and its best you start having relaxed your mind and taken a break. You don't want to feel burnt out in your first year of dental school. I personally took an even longer gap between undergrad and dental school.
I definitely will. I just graduated undergrad this summer and started DAT studying 2 weeks later. What did you do in your gap year?

I definitely will. I just graduated undergrad this summer and started DAT studying 2 weeks later. What did you do in your gap year?

I don't want to be that guy, but I think 4 months of studying is enough to do well on the DAT. I don't understand how you missed your birthday, it is like a 2 hour event.

I don't want to be that guy, but I think 4 months of studying is enough to do well on the DAT. I don't understand how you missed your birthday, it is like a 2 hour event.
I'm the type of person to feel guilty going out or even enjoying my birthday when I could be studying. It's super crippling, 10/10 do not recommend! lol

In my gap years I worked a full time job, got married and enjoyed the no studying life until I decided I'm ready to go back to school lol. I'm so glad I took that break. It allowed me to mature and approach school differently than when I was in undergrad.

It’s 3 am, winter break has broken my dental school sleep cycle. Sighhhhhhhh. Gotta get back on the 12 to 7 sleep schedule.

I'm low-key upset I won't be applying for another 2 years or so, all because I decided to **** around my first 2 years. so now my gameplan is

2018-2019= finish off senior year
2019 summer= take a math class to prepare for physics (its a requirement) and retake chem 2
2019-2020= take physics
2020-2021= masters (either regular or SMP, idk yet).
2021 spring-summer= DAT and then apply

Kinda annoying

Yikes. Is physics the only class you'd be taking that year? If it is I'd take it online over the summer and skip that year basically.

Yikes. Is physics the only class you'd be taking that year? If it is I'd take it online over the summer and skip that year basically.

I think so. I'm debating taking a couple more science classes along with it to boost my undergrad sGPA.

Another route I'm thinking about taking is: Masters 1st, DAT, then take the physics sequence and chem 2 during the application cycle. I just hope an interview date wouldn't fall on a test day lol.

So glad the holidays are over. Time to head back to my apartment and decrompress after all this family time.

I'm so sad I had to turn down my first choice school today for monetary reasons. I keep thinking about it and am trying to come to terms with the disappointment, but it hurts so much. I just hope I made the right choice.

DCG will be better off for having you. You will still make friends and become a good dentist.

If you have family in Kentucky, why wouldn't IS be the best monetary option for you?
My parents and I have lived in Georgia for the majority of my life. Literally every other family member is in Kentucky, so I am OOS, unfortunately.

My parents and I have lived in Georgia for the majority of my life. Literally every other family member is in Kentucky, so I am OOS, unfortunately.

Ahh I see. Well at least you're going to be a dentist ;)

Do I need to update my ADEA account with my fall grades and send my transcript to them? Because their website says I need to update it with my fall scores. However, I already got accepted to a school, and in their email the school just said I need to send in my official transcript after I graduate in may. Should I call and check? Or do I have to send in my fall scores now?

Classes are starting back up next week and I.dont.want.to.go
ughhh
senioritis is definitely kicking in

I have been hoping for a phone call from my top choice...My phone rings and wakes me up, it says California and I don't recognize the number. So I try to sound like I wasn't just asleep, sit up, cough, drink some water, answer the phone.

Another one of those damn telemarketers trying to sell me a time share. Oh, and I'm on another alternate list now.

here's a rant: I try to be helpful on these forums and make them better than they were before, like by adding the two sub-forums, cleaning things up, making new and helpful threads and whatnot, and then something I spent lots of time making gets reported as being sketchy and illegal and biased

kinda just has me like, why bother doing things in the first place :(

Reactions: 5 users
here's a rant: I try to be helpful on these forums and make them better than they were before, like by adding the two sub-forums, cleaning things up, making new and helpful threads and whatnot, and then something I spent lots of time making gets reported as being sketchy and illegal and biased

you're like the most useful and active mod i've seen around these forums
thank you for your contributions

Reactions: 5 users

It's a thankless job and there is a lot of business going on here. I once posted something and was considered advertising and I was like what lol.
So, yeah, don't take it personally and remember, the most important thing is your goal. Besides, you are a UCLA dental student, you hardly have time for this, so focus on your studying and use this energy to excel in your class which I am guessing you do but can you imagine if you use this extra time on a club in your school, that will help do more, help more, and also help you with specializing if you choose that route.

Anyway. I always tell myself, if I spent half this time I spent here and on other forums on writing the novels that I keep on postponing, I would have written maybe 5 books so far.

you should be happy that you have a state school and even more happy that you got in

you should be happy that you have a state school and even more happy that you got in
I’m trying, but feeling homesick and have been living in the Augusta area for four years already. It’s just hard to have been away so long, and I’m struggling :(

@artist2022 I appreciate all the work you do here. Online moderation is a thankless job and you have a constant battle between over moderation and letting people ask the most repetitive, easily searchable questions. I’ve seen you reply with links to some quality threads and I’m sure your responses are viewed by countless lurking predental who have benefited as much as I have. I hope you crush 2019 and everything goes well for you.

It's a thankless job and there is a lot of business going on here. I once posted something and was considered advertising and I was like what lol.
So, yeah, don't take it personally and remember, the most important thing is your goal. Besides, you are a UCLA dental student, you hardly have time for this, so focus on your studying and use this energy to excel in your class which I am guessing you do but can you imagine if you use this extra time on a club in your school, that will help do more, help more, and also help you with specializing if you choose that route.

Anyway. I always tell myself, if I spent half this time I spent here and on other forums on writing the novels that I keep on postponing, I would have written maybe 5 books so far.

Back when I answered questions on materials I used to study for the DAT I was accused by someone of being a paid shill for Bootcamp so I know what you mean. Said user ominously claimed there was a whole canal of people who thought I was a marketer and they were all onto me.

Can’t a give give his opinion and try to save people $$$ without being accused of subverting the good people of SDN with stealth marketing?

@artist2022 I appreciate all the work you do here. Online moderation is a thankless job and you have a constant battle between over moderation and letting people ask the most repetitive, easily searchable questions. I’ve seen you reply with links to some quality threads and I’m sure your responses are viewed by countless lurking predental who have benefited as much as I have. I hope you crush 2019 and everything goes well for you.

At least there's no pressure to keep your area "pretty" on forums. The sub-reddits I own/moderate have to constantly have their code changed to meet the "aesthetic" quota. I always get paranoid that some user doesn't like the art/icons/etc. Sometimes I wish I could just run one of those bland, white background subs and rake in thousands of subscribers without needing to do anything fancy.

Oh well, I guess that's my rant.

You're literally so amazing and helpful with all your threads. Thank you for all that you do! :)

If my interview time ends at 5 pm and my flight from east coast to west coast is at 6:15 pm. Will I make it or will I miss the flight? Hint: Airport is 15 minutes away from the school assuming Uber is not late and there is no traffic!

Another option is finding a time machine

or taking the flight that is 14 hours and arriving at 7:30 am, which is 30 minutes before the interview day starts

So, yeah.....I don't know!

Last edited:
If my interview time ends at 5 pm and my flight from east coast to west coast is at 6:15 pm will I make it or will I miss the flight? Hint: Airport is 10 minutes away from the school assuming Uber is not late and there is no traffic!

Another option is finding a time machine

or taking the flight that is 14 hours and arriving at 7:30 am, which is 30 minutes before the interview day starts

So, yeah.....I don't know!
do what makes you feel comfortable and do your best...

So, the last interview I attended, there was this girl who hated me the minute I arrived!
She didn't hide it or anything, she showed it and she was really pathetic with her attitude and that really ruined my day!

and no don't think for a second I was rude to her or ignored her or something I was very nice and friendly until I realized she can't tolerate me at all so I stopped talking to her. I mean I didn't even talk to her that much, I talked to the guy next to me but she gave me evil stares from the minute I arrived till the end!

After some time, I realized this atmosphere was toxic to me and I should try to sit next to friendly people, I found nice people who asked me to sit next to them and we had some fun.

But, I hated the school because of that girl!

and here is my take, this evil girl will get in, but me, no no no, I won't get in that school because that's how life works!

Which is fine, I don't want to go to the school that this girl attends, well I heard that dental and med school was like high school but I never imagined that people will show their true colors in an interview.

Just freaking pretend to be nice!

You two are going to end up at the same school lmao. It is fate. Watch her not get into her dream school and randomly end up at your top choice.

So, the last interview I attended, there was this girl who hated me the minute I arrived!
She didn't hide it or anything, she showed it and she was really pathetic with her attitude and that really ruined my day!

and no don't think for a second I was rude to her or ignored her or something I was very nice and friendly until I realized she can't tolerate me at all so I stopped talking to her. I mean I didn't even talk to her that much, I talked to the guy next to me but she gave me evil stares from the minute I arrived till the end!

After some time, I realized this atmosphere was toxic to me and I should try to sit next to friendly people, I found nice people who asked me to sit next to them and we had some fun.

and here is my take, this evil girl will get in, but me, no no no, I won't get in that school because that's how life works!

Which is fine, I don't want to go to the school that this girl attends, well I heard that dental and med school was like high school but I never imagined that people will show their true colors in an interview.

Reality check. Life can be like HS, DS,etc.. In the end .... the only person you can control is yourself. In other words .... you don't allow the actions of others influence your happiness. I think of this every time I run into an intolerable person. Just let it go. :)

Reactions: 6 users

I had some interesting individuals during my interview that I will not forget (nice and terrible). I wish there were more individuals here that shared such an experience because I did not see someone complain at sdn about their interview, so I thought it's sunny with rainbows and not rainy with a chance of meatballs!