rant: airfare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anystream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
its so incredibly expensive! I was thrilled to find cheap tickets on travelocity, but when i actually went to book them the site said "the fare has now changed," sending the prices up another $100 dollars! I checked back later that day, and they are still publicizing this lower fare, although it is in fact sold out. Its so frustrating because you can't rely on the advertised fares.

And another question: why are round trips less expensive than one way tickets?

My situation: I am trying to find cheap tickets to go to interviews in different cities. does anyone know cheap airlines that fly between oakland and syracuse? Or a website that doesn't falsely advertise their airfare?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never used priceline.com myself. But if I get interview(s), I plan to use priceline after window shopping at other sites.

Also, see if you can use southwest airlines for your travel needs. Southwest doesn't go everywhere but their service, charges are impressive. You can buy one way or roundtrip without paying any penalty. You will not get their listing if you search on travelocity or other air travel search engines. You have to go directly to southwest.com

I guess you probably knew most of what I said..but I thought I would mention it anyways.

Best wishes.

Shahab

anystream said:
My situation: I am trying to find cheap tickets to go to interviews in different cities. does anyone know cheap airlines that fly between oakland and syracuse? Or a website that doesn't falsely advertise their airfare?

Have you tried JetBlue? You can get a flight from Oakland to Syracuse. I haven't flown them, but I know a few friends that have and they were happy with their prices. Good luck.

Lari

Members don't see this ad :)
anystream said:
its so incredibly expensive! I was thrilled to find cheap tickets on travelocity, but when i actually went to book them the site said "the fare has now changed," sending the prices up another $100 dollars! I checked back later that day, and they are still publicizing this lower fare, although it is in fact sold out. Its so frustrating because you can't rely on the advertised fares.

Studentuniverse.com gives discounted rates for students. I don't know how cheap they'll be though because with the hurricanes, fuel is getting much pricier.

You may want to try booking your flights earlier. Usually rates start increasing within two weeks of departure. You can also try Southwest Air. They're very cheap, yet don't advertise on the travel websites.

another reason that southwest is awesome...unlike many other places where they either charge you a cancellation fee or you can't cancel at all, southwest doesn't have a cancellation fee!! You just get credited the full amount and you can use that credit towards any other rebookings...which you know you will anyway coz you'll be going to other interviews. I'm just really happy with this service, b/c you can just rearrange your flight arrangements any way you want as you get more interviews and wanna do several in 1 trip. So you won't get screwed over after you booked a flight, and then you receive another interview around that region.

anystream said:

Actually, the legacy airlines have started offering reasonably priced one-way tickets if purchased soon enough (at least 7-day advance).

I purchased a one-way ticket to Philly for $92 (base fare, $114 with ALL taxes and fees) from LOS ANGELES (YES LAX) on continental!!!!!! Great deal!!!!

Southwest has always allowed you to purchase one-way tickets!
good luck!

Sometimes you will actually find better deals on the carrier's webstie

anystream said:

Have you tried Kayak.com? I think that site kicks butt.

Catch the bus that way you will have something to talk about all day while your interviewing. They will be "hmm this person is a little weird, but reasonable, there in" :D

anystream said:

I would strongly recommend against using Travelocity. They used to be good, but now it's very common that they advertise a low fare, then tell you that "it changed!" and up the price by $100-$500! But then, you know that. Oh, and they once advertised that if you book the wrong dates and cancel within 24 hours, there's no charge; this was also crap, they charged me a $5 "service fee." So shady!!

Anyway, I'm quite partial to Southwest and JetBlue; the price they quote is the price you get. I interviewed last fall, and I spent a lot of time flying ATA. . .they were cheap and good. Sadly, they're now out of business, I believe. :(

I've got several interviews coming up and I'm trying to schedule it so I don't have to fly out from CA 4 separate times, and don't miss too much class.. This process has made me realize I badly need a lesson in US geography. I'm sure many Californians are with me here.. everything east of AZ must be pretty close together right? I actually considered renting a car and driving between Iowa City and Columbus Ohio til I looked at the map.. god I'm pathetic.. :oops: